Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #18676
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 379
No problems yet, but I like to have a chain and sprockets available when I need them.

I do ride a fair amount of gravel and hard pack roads; and some muddy roads occasionally.

I lube the chain-gear oil-daily when on trips and adjust infrequently per need.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #18677
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly green giant View Post
New to this thread. I am considering buying a Tiger 800 both for commuting and touring and was wondering what kind of revs the engine reaches while doing 90 mph. I currently have a GS and a Varadero and both seem to hang around 5000 revs at 90 mph which leaves the engine note at low pitch.
Approx 7,000 in 6th for 90mph. Allegedly

Still silky smooth at those revs.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #18678
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
First, get a narrow set of feeler gauges that are bent or bend them. Use 'go, no-go' sizes.

Are you putting a micrometer on the shim or reading the etched number? My indy will mic them and then exchange what I had for what I need. Sometimes the number can get worn enough to be difficult to read.
Are you sure the cam bearings are getting properly seated?

I mic'd a few of 'em and they were all found to be spot-on.

Unless your bike is different than mine, there are no cam bearings in the XC.

New feeler gauges are on their way. Thanks for the link bross!

It's too f'n cold to be riding the DR650 right now. I'll deal with it in the spring. Also, in October I have a rally to attend in MO. With just a couple thousand miles left of the season, I doubt I'll frag the motor between now and then. The valves can wait. I'm just gonna throw the old shims back in it and be done with it. The bikes been down for 5 weeks (3 weeks waiting for BikeBandit alone) and that's just too long to sit around and look at a new cycle without riding it.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #18679
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I have no experience with checking valves, so I'm going to have to make an appointment at my dealer for the 12K.

My plan was to take most everything off and ride it the 4 miles to the dealer. Then, I would have them just check the valves and electronically sync the throttle bodies and make sure the latest map is on there. Is this a good plan? What else needs to be done?

Also, right now I'm running a LV carbon pipe with the Arrow map. My mileage is not great (38-42mpg), but I'm also running K60s and a 15T front sprocket. I regularly ride around 72-75 on the highway. Should I put on the stock pipe, have them remap it to the latest stock map and then switch the pipes when back home?

I have read it is ok to run LV or Arrow pipe with stock tune to keep mileage up, but what about power difference?

JG
Leave the pipe on and get the dealer to change the tune to the "standard" version. Your mileage will improve by a good margin. And I would change the front sprocket back to the original 16 tooth. That'll help with the mileage also as the revs won't be as high. Plenty of acceleration there anyway.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #18680
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Leave the pipe on and get the dealer to change the tune to the "standard" version. Your mileage will improve by a good margin. And I would change the front sprocket back to the original 16 tooth. That'll help with the mileage also as the revs won't be as high. Plenty of acceleration there anyway.
They told me they will not install the standard map with an aftermarket pipe.

I would never give up the 15T front. It is too good on, and especially off, road.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #18681
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
DealerTool and TuneECU cables

DealerTool and TuneECU cables are NOT compatible. Just wasted a half hour of my time due to my own stupidity. I am doing my 20,000km service and the last thing to do was to replace the brake fluid, so I left my laptop connected with the DealerTool cable so I could bleed my ABS. That was a few days ago and I noticed there's a new tune available for our bikes so I downloaded the 20769 tune and then tried to install it this morning. Couldn't get TuneECU to "talk" to the bike, kept saying check the cable, turn the ignition off/on etc. Dug out the even older laptop, copied the new tune files to it, same thing, crap. Updated TuneECU, same thing, crap. Then it finally hit me, I still had the DealerTool cable installed. Plug the correct (TuneECU) cable in and hey look it works!

So next time it tells you to check the cable, just check the damn cable.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #18682
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
DealerTool and TuneECU cables are NOT compatible. Just wasted a half hour of my time due to my own stupidity. I am doing my 20,000km service and the last thing to do was to replace the brake fluid, so I left my laptop connected with the DealerTool cable so I could bleed my ABS. That was a few days ago and I noticed there's a new tune available for our bikes so I downloaded the 20769 tune and then tried to install it this morning. Couldn't get TuneECU to "talk" to the bike, kept saying check the cable, turn the ignition off/on etc. Dug out the even older laptop, copied the new tune files to it, same thing, crap. Updated TuneECU, same thing, crap. Then it finally hit me, I still had the DealerTool cable installed. Plug the correct (TuneECU) cable in and hey look it works!

Have you noticed any differences with 20769?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #18683
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,128
I see a lot of cables out there and some good and not so good reviews. Does it really matter the cost or manufacturer?

Quote:

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #18684
jimmatas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Ok updates on the rear peg hanger repair. The welder fixed it last week and i went to see the result. Told me he took a lot of time to get it straight and was a hard repair, metal was tough to bend etc. The result wasnt so satifying because you could tell that it has been repaired, had welding marks and was some kind of "rough cut".
But , today i called the Triumph service man who is taking care of the whole repair and said that the frame painter came over and did a magnificent job. Trimmed the excess welding and made it almost exactly like new. Still havent seen it though but i hope it is better than last time i saw it after the welder job.
Btw half the bike had to be stripped of parts including the tank. Will post pictures when its done , monday hopefully.
jimmatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #18685
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Have you noticed any differences with 20769?
Haven't ridden it yet, have only run it for 10 minutes to reset the adaptation. In the middle of redoing our driveway and trying to get ready for concrete that's coming so may be a day or two before I get a ride in.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #18686
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I see a lot of cables out there and some good and not so good reviews. Does it really matter the cost or manufacturer?
I just bought my TuneECU cable off Amazon.com from a recommended dealer on Triumphrat years ago. I know it seems to be hit or miss but mine's been working fine for years on our Street, Speed and Tiger. This is the cable I bought, not sure if you'll find the same seller or not.

Crescent Trading LLC shipped the following item(s) in your order
You have been charged for the following items shipped today:

USB Cable for Triumph Motorcycle TuneECU Program
Sold by: Crescent Trading LLC
Condition: new
Quantity: 1
$24.95 each
Item subtotal: $24.95
Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #18687
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
, not sure if you'll find the same seller or not.

Crescent Trading LLC shipped the following item(s) in your order
You have been charged for the following items shipped today:

USB Cable for Triumph Motorcycle TuneECU Program
Still there, $25w shipping

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #18688
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
They told me they will not install the standard map with an aftermarket pipe.

I would never give up the 15T front. It is too good on, and especially off, road.

JG
Your dealer is an arse. Play them at their own game then means putting OEM exhaust back on. Or get a cable and download tuneecu and do it yourself. It's no difficult if you read the manual first.

Sent from my Tiger 800

KildareMan screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 02:34 PM
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #18689
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
I just want to say that I love dealing with Triumph customer service. I have called them several times and the phone was always answered by the second ring and the person on the other end has always been super polite, courteous and helpful. 1-888-283-5288
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #18690
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I just want to say that I love dealing with Triumph customer service. I have called them several times and the phone was always answered by the second ring and the person on the other end has always been super polite, courteous and helpful. 1-888-283-5288
Maybe all of my complaining helped after all.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote