Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #31
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 807
I love it, this bike looks like it's gonna be a great backwoods explorer and it should get great grins per mile.

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #32
Dungeyfan5
MXnut

Oddometer: 2
Laugh Thanks

i have to say thanks for at least showing the clip of sherry moon zombie. I think it is one of my favorite movies and the title is the only reason i stopped in. I do like what you have cooking though. Looks sweet!
Dungeyfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #33
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeyfan5 View Post
i have to say thanks for at least showing the clip of sherry moon zombie. I think it is one of my favorite movies and the title is the only reason i stopped in. I do like what you have cooking though. Looks sweet!

I thought someone would like that!

Thanks for checking out the report. I'll try to get more done on the bike this week. Seeing it together does give me some additional motivation to get it finished for the fall riding season.
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,642
Great build. That engine sure is a tight fit. The more of these CT-90 projects I see, the more I want one. I love small bikes, but my smallest manual transmission bike is a Yamaha XT225. I have a couple of 125cc Yamaha scooters, but they have CVTs, and are no good for climbing due to the too high gearing. I am not a purist in the usual sense, and have also built several cars and bikes. I have a '64 Fairlane that was in about the same condition as your Cougar when I bought it. It has a 200ci straight six right now, but I am building a 302 for it. I built the XT225 out of 3 different bikes, lots of aftermarket parts, and some fabricated and modified parts. The only way I consider myself a purest is I am totally against any kind of computerized electronics on bikes and cars. To me they are supposed to be purely mechanical machines with a basic electrical system. No FI or ABS
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Good to see you stop by Jerry. You should get one of these to build up. These CT's are definitely easier to work on than the Gold Wings!

Did you ever get all the electronic bugs worked out on your 1200?

This definitely won't be a long distance, 2-up touring bike, but it will be great for my needs. It will be a great lane-splitter too! It's so much narrower than the full-dressed Wing!

My next project, the XR, will be even smaller and lighter.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for following along! I'll try to get more done in the next couple of days. I think I'll be tackling the electrical system next.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #36
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeyfan5 View Post
i have to say thanks for at least showing the clip of sherry moon zombie. I think it is one of my favorite movies and the title is the only reason i stopped in.
Do I stutter, Bitch?

Working on a 1970 CT 90 right now, got some engine seals to replace then it should be ready for me to start up and see if it runs right, then I'll do more to it if everything is correct. Nice job so far.

PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #37
jese
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I love these little honda builds
jese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #38
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Sorry for the lack of progress here. I had a lot of crap come up, but I'll try to get the bike finished soon.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #39
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Is a build ever really finished?
My builds just reach temporary stopping points. Hopefully at a stage where it at least kinda' works!
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #40
RVeenster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
This is good stuff. The cherry red is a nice touch. Looks like a run rider once it's all ready to go! I know you started this project a while back, but where did you get all of your non-engine parts (chassis, wheels, shocks, etc)? I'm starting up a CT90 build and all I have is the engine and transmission--looking for pretty much everything else!
RVeenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #41
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVeenster View Post
This is good stuff. The cherry red is a nice touch. Looks like a run rider once it's all ready to go! I know you started this project a while back, but where did you get all of your non-engine parts (chassis, wheels, shocks, etc)? I'm starting up a CT90 build and all I have is the engine and transmission--looking for pretty much everything else!
Thanks. I know I need to get back on this. It just kinda got bumped lower on the list. (Money making stuff needs to come first.)

I started off with nothing but an idea. I was inspired by some other folks on this forum that have done similar conversions. I bought the engine, and found everything else to go along with it.

I got a lot of my used original parts on ebay, the rest I just scrounged up. Plus, I had a few old junk pieces sitting around.

The new electrical parts have been from Dr. ATV and ebay.

The frame is a CT200, which is still a Trail 90. I was told that they lined up better with the Lifan engine mounting holes. I did have to do a little grinding, but I didn't have to buy any special mounting brackets. I got it for less than $50 on ebay. The Lifan 140 was also an ebay purchase.

My forks and front end stuff is off of a Honda 100 or 125. They're both about the same, and it fits the CT200 without modifications to the frame or triple tree. The forks also give me a bit more clearance, but that meant changing out the kick stand. One off of a Honda 225 or 250 works fine.

The rear wheel is stock 17"; the front is a 19" from a Honda 100 or 125 (I don't remember which. I didn't want to go with a 21" though.)

If you don't have a local bike parts/wrecking yard, which I don't, ebay will be your friend. ( OK, maybe not friend, more like a whore that you have to pay if you want to get anything, but you get the point. )

Anyway, if you have any questions, there are quite a few guys that have done this, so ask away.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #42
intercepter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Really enjoying the thread

I have a CT90 K0 and a CT200, both fully original. The 200 is running very nicely so i'm keeping that stock. Once the weather warms i'll be examining the CT90 KO which is essentially the same bike with the OHC engine on it and hi/lo switch vs dual sprocket. If the engine is busted I'll go Lifan just like your doing so I really appreciate all the details your're providing.
intercepter is offline   Reply With Quote