User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #331
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
That Would Be Yes

As for a partner to provide comic relief, are you volunteering? __________________

I thought about this and have to say, time and opportunity allowing when you go for one of your epic rides, then yes.

But first, in order to qualify for that role, I have to get more dirt experience and am headed to the sand box to do just that.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #332
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post

Howdy klaviator,good RR as usual.
I'm digging the new Grom too.
Thanks for following along. Earlier in the year when I was to busy to ride much I saw some of your ride reports and was jealous. Now I'm trying to make up for lost time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
The bamarides groups are always funny like that.

We had a Xr650L, TTR250, my Husky SM, a Goldwing, an '80s Honda Cruiser, a brand new Aprilla, and a DRZ, Harley 883, and probably 5 other random bikes on a ride before.

Shane, on the black R1, can ride like the fukin wind. He doesn't wear full leathers on the street because he's cold Hes the only guy I've seen drag a need on an intestate on-ramp
I think it's cool for a bunch of riders on different bikes to be able to have good rides together. It's really more about the riders, not the bikes they are on. A good rider is a good rider. Period.

I figured Shane was a serious rider, first from his bike and the cool cornering lights, and also his well scuffed knee sliders.

I really liked the Ninja 1000 with hard bags too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
As for a partner to provide comic relief, are you volunteering? __________________

I thought about this and have to say, time and opportunity allowing when you go for one of your epic rides, then yes.

But first, in order to qualify for that role, I have to get more dirt experience and am headed to the sand box to do just that.
It seems like most of my rides lately have been mostly on the pavement. I am thinking of outfitting my KLR for touring duties but until that happens, my riding will be mostly street. Of course, even my scooters go off the pavement occasionally.

Enjoy your time in the sand box.

As for time and opportunity, who knows? I'll keep it in mind.

My next adventure will be attending the Scooting through the Ozarks Rally. This will be my first scooter rally. I'll document it here or maybe in a separate ride report.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #333
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The other day I took out my XT350 for a short ride just to keep the carb from gumming up. I did a little exploring and found this just a few miles from my house.

Not exactly the best off pavement riding I have ever done but it's only a few minutes away. It's been so long since I rode in the dirt that I was really rusty.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #334
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm loaded up and headed out to give this moto-camping another try. My destination is Two Wheels of Suches. I plan on camping there tonight and possible Saturday night. My route? I'll just wing it

I'll post some pics when I get back.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #335
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm loaded up and headed out to give this moto-camping another try. My destination is Two Wheels of Suches. I plan on camping there tonight and possible Saturday night. My route? I'll just wing it

I'll post some pics when I get back.
Outstanding! Now ell us about those other bikes.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #336
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm back from my trip. Someday I'm planning on getting a small laptop or other device that I can use to update from the road. For now, I have to wait until I get home.

I headed East via I-565 - 35 - 40.

Stopped at a roadside park a few miles West of Mentone.

The 40 became 48 in GA. I took a left on the Lookout Mountain Pky, and right on Dougherty rd.

One of the hairpins on Dougherty.

Took a right here.

Then right on 193 to Lafayette. After eating lunch at Subway I picked up 136 east and followed it to a small park in Talking Rock where I stopped for a break and took a few pics.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #337
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

From Talking Rock I followed 136 to 52 to Dahlonega. The GA countryside was really beautiful. Due to all the rain everything was still lush green and the wall to wall sunshine didn't hurt either. Also the temperature was perfect, not hot and not cold.

I stopped at rider's hill, took a break, talked to a few people and drooled on some of the exotic bikes. I wanted to get my tent set up and have time to ride to dinner and back before dark so I didn't stay at Riders Hill too long. I figured I'd come back the next day. I took 60 up to Suches. 60 from Dahlonega to Suches is mostly perfectly banked curves. It's a great road but unfortunately they also allow all those slow moving four wheel thingies on it and there aren't that many places to pass. I pulled over a few times and let the cages go for a minute or two before riding on. I'd catch them in a couple of miles and repeat. Back in my sportbike days I'd just pass them on the double yellow. I guess I'm just getting old and slow.

There were quite a few tents already set up at TWoS. I found a spot and set up right next to the creek.

There were some guys with pretty impressive camping rigs.

They look very comfortable but for me pulling a trailer would ruin the ride so I'll stick with my more primitive setup.

Speaking of my primitive setup. I lowered the pressure in my air mattress and stuffed some clothes as well as my little camping pillow into a pillowcase. I ended up sleeping OK. There's still room for improvement. I did wake up early and took this pic as the sun was getting ready to come up.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #338
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Breakfast was served starting at 7 and I was there.

They have a pretty good selection on the menu. I had a sausage and egg biscuit with OJ. It was very good

I decided to do an early ride before the traffic on the roads picked up. On of my favorites has always been the "cooler run". From Suches it's south on 60, left on 19, left on 129 and over Blood Mountain, left on 180 back to Suches. It's 36 miles of curves, curves and curves.

This is Woody lake right at the beginning of the ride.

Interesting rig for sale at the top of Blood Mountain.

Signs of fall.

It was a great ride since most people don't get out on the rode early. The exceptions were hundreds of kamakazi squirrels who all seemed to want to play chicken with me and also the spandex warriors were out in full force on 180 keeping my speed down some there.

Back at TWoS. A lot of riders there to get breakfast or just ride and enjoy what promised to be another perfect day for riding.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #339
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I hung out for a while and talked to people. One of the things I always liked about this place was all the interesting people. I talked to some who I met here years earlier and others who I met for the first time. There are always interesting bikes in the parking lot too. I liked this sticker:

OK, the bike didn't look all that insane.

The old TWO had a lot of interesting memorabilia which was part of it's unique character. When it closed, they sold it all off. Many people bought it with the hopes of someday returning it too it's rightful place. Here the sprocket clock being returned:

TWoS will never be exactly like the old TWO, but the new owner seems to be committed to making it a great place for riders to come and stay and/or eat. I mentioned to him that there weren't nearly enough picnic tables in the campground and he said he would have more built over the winter. He was also making some improvements to the bath house. They don't currently serve dinner except for special events. I don't know if that will change in the future however, the 180 diner is just 4 miles down 180. I ate there Friday night and it was really good.

And of course, TWoS is still in the same great location. The roads are more crowded than when I first started coming here in the early 90's, but they are still great.

So I went for a ride again to check out those great roads. I took 60 north to Morganton. What a great ride

I didn't get any pics until I stopped at Blue Ridge lake.

Then I headed over to Blairsville and then south on 129 where I stopped to check out this tourist trap.

if you really miss the old TWO, just use this go back in time.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #340
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After returning to TWoS I hung had a seat on on of the comfy chairs on the porch and talked to a few people. Then an old friend who I had first met at TWO back in 90 or 91 showed up riding his latest toy. We talked a bit then he said He wanted to go down to Riders Hill. Since I wanted to go there too, I rode down with him and another friend.

My friend and his latest toy:

And his buddy was riding this:

The Sport City did just fine riding with these "slightly" more powerful machines

So we hung out there for a while. This place is full of exotic bikes that leave me drooling. They have also become a Suzuki Dealer in addition to all the exotic Italian bikes.

A lot of people complain about dealers ripping them off with all kinds of extra fees.

Just in case anyone is looking for a new (demo) sport city:

I don't think that's quite the deal I got 2 1/2 years ago but still not bad.

This bike was sitting outside waiting to be picked up by it's new owner:

We ended up talking to the guy who bought this and helped him load it into his truck. Nice guy, looked like he was under 30 yrs old. Must be nice to be able to afford something like this at that age. He must be single.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #341
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We decided to head up to Blairsville to get some dinner. It was another fun ride through some twisty roads

This place is a little south of Blairsville on 129.

We all had a half rack of ribs and agreed that they were very good.

Photobucket turned this pic sideways and won't let me fix it Just tilt your head to the right.

I highly recommend this place.

Then I headed back to TWoS on 129 and 180. It was getting dark which makes a really twisty road like 180 pretty interesting.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #342
jw18
fail

Oddometer: 605
I just found this thread!! My buddy moved up to Huntsville and this will help us plan some rides. I need to get me a scooter so that I can follow him around on his metropolitan!!

Keep up the great RR!!!

jw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #343
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got another OK nights sleep. Then another good breakfast. They opened for breakfast at 7 am in case anyone is wondering. I hung out and talked to a few people and then decided to walk to the gas station.

All the signs make Suches look too commercialized.

The gas station opens at 7:30 every morning..............except Sundays.

So I walked back snapping a few more pics.

The van with all the graphics is from BMW/Ducati of Atlanta. They held a club event/rides there this weekend accounting for a large percentage of the campers there.

It was another beautiful day ensuring there would be a lot of riders coming up from the metro Atlanta area.

I've seen this interesting vehicle around. The rider......driver? carries his wheelchair in the passenger seat.

There was also supposed to be a bicycle race today with around 3000 riders clogging up many of the roads. I had planned on getting an early start towards home but ended up talking to a number of people and didn't get on the road until around 9.

I headed north on 60 to Dial rd. the ride reminded me how great these roads and the scenery of N GA are. Perhaps I got a little spoiled when i lived in GA and got to ride these roads more often.

I am a big fan of the ride reports by Colebatch. He takes trips to Russia, Mongolia, the Stans and other places much more rugged than here. This bridge reminds me of his reports because in many countries this bridge would not be "closed" and he'd be using it to cross the river.

After Dial rd I took Newport rd to 52 to Ellijay and then to Chatsworth. I had forgotten what a great road 52 from Ellijay to Chatsworth was, especially with no traffic to slow me down.

I had lunch at Subway in Chatsworth.

All those twisty roads in the Ozarks and now this had badly cupped my front tire. This pic doesn't really show how bad it was.

I followed 52 to I-75 where I picked up some back roads to 136 then some pretty boring roads back to Huntsville. Total mileage was around 700 . It was a great weekend. I plan on going back to TWoS every so often. I just hope I get some fantastic weather like this weekend again.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 10:35 AM
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #344
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Outstanding! Now ell us about those other bikes.
The other bikes have all been mentioned in this thread. They are: 00XT350, 05KLR650, 09 Super 8 150. There are a few bikes out there I'd like to add to my collection but I've decided on a max of 4 bikes so I'll have to sell something before buying anything new. Wandering around riders Hill/European motorsports didn't help as I was drooling over a few bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw18 View Post
I just found this thread!! My buddy moved up to Huntsville and this will help us plan some rides. I need to get me a scooter so that I can follow him around on his metropolitan!!

Keep up the great RR!!!
By all means get a scooter. They are a blast to ride and you won't regret it. I'd recommend at least a 125/150cc. Anything smaller won't be able to keep up with traffic on most roads.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #345
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
RoadRUNNER magazine

Saw that RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel magazine has a feature called Rocket City Road Trip and I thought of you.

I really like this magazine. It's about travelling on motorcycles more than it is about motorcycles themselves.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote