ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #91
Andrew2
Team 250
 
Andrew2's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Wollongong,N.S.W.
Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Thes bikes are just sooooo cool!
Top work Dan!

You would have as much chance of fitting on one I as I would Dave


Cheers
A2
__________________

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #92
aldo1992x
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 3
Awesome sounds easy enough, I've found a nice exhaust off ebay, if I manage to get the 303 kit in this weekend I might have to order the exhaust and pegs to give me something to do next weekend haha.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MUFFLER-U...item53f99856fe
aldo1992x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #93
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
You would have as much chance of fitting on one I as I would Dave


Cheers
A2
Don't count your self out on that. There are a few guys around on the around that are not so tiny riding ACEs.

I still waiting for the rain to bugger off. I have found the needle was almost on it richest setting. Moved it back to the centre position and have gone up 2 sizes on the main jet. Now lets if that improves things and work from there.
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #94
Andrew2
Team 250
 
Andrew2's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Wollongong,N.S.W.
Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo1992x View Post
Awesome sounds easy enough, I've found a nice exhaust off ebay, if I manage to get the 303 kit in this weekend I might have to order the exhaust and pegs to give me something to do next weekend haha.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MUFFLER-U...item53f99856fe

That's a nice looking pipe mate.
__________________

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #95
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo1992x View Post
Awesome sounds easy enough, I've found a nice exhaust off ebay, if I manage to get the 303 kit in this weekend I might have to order the exhaust and pegs to give me something to do next weekend haha.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MUFFLER-U...item53f99856fe
Not sure how hilly it is around your place. The Ace won't pull the 34 tooth sprocket with the cat in the exhaust. My bike would not pull the 34 with cat removed either . I went with a +1 on the front sprocket. That is the same as a 36 tooth rear. The stock is a 38.
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #96
Alan_Vega
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 5
Hi,

I've been following this thread for weeks. I bought one here in France a month and a half ago and I already modded a bit.
As far as mechanics go, I put the ooracing Stage 1 kit (with air filter) and racing CDI.
Exhaust is from feked and straight through.

The bike is really performing better now. I didn't manage to bring it higher than 120 km/h on flat road (with wind facing). I got 113km/h GPS speedometer. Not bad for such a little bike ! I take over trucks on the highway now
But the most pleasant is that now it can easily cruise at 90km/h without pushing the engine too strong. Actually I change gear to the 5th at 90km/h.

Cosmetically you can see changes on the pictures. Still some more things to do but I like the way it is now.

Next big thing is to change tyres and rear shock.
If you have some advice for shocks not too expensive (like 100 euros max pair) and that looks more or less like the originals I'm taking advice.
As far as tyres go I'd probably put some Dunlop k82

Just one question if you could answer: I have the original carb and I wanted to adjust the needle but there is no circlip on the needle to adjust it ? how do i do then ? add some washer ? or did I miss something ?

















Alan_Vega screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 03:05 AM
Alan_Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #97
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
Hi AV,
I like your idea of a dashboard.

As for shocks, just about any will do as long as they are 330mm centre to centre with 12mm eyelets top and bottom. Some thing like RFY on ebay.

Changing the tires for better quality ones makes a world of difference.

Chinese copy mikuni vm22 carb bolts straight on.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26mm-PIT-...4d058ae&_uhb=1
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #98
Alan_Vega
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 5
Thanx for your replies and pieces of advice.

I may change the carb but not quite now.

I also did notice I have an orphan connector. 1 green/white wire.
Do you what that is ?

Alan_Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #99
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Vega View Post
Thanx for your replies and pieces of advice.

I may change the carb but not quite now.

I also did notice I have an orphan connector. 1 green/white wire.
Do you what that is ?
That was for the silly, silly side stand lock out switch. Bike would not run at all with the side stand down.

I just pulled apart the standard deni carb. There is no way to adjust the needle height.

I have been out for a blast on the ACE with the 150 and with the Chinese Mikuni needle on middle position and a 100 main jet. Who would have thought that an extra 25cc would make a fair bit difference in the go department. It really pulls and accelerates up steep hills now.
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.

Just Dan screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 01:14 AM Reason: Added more
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #100
Alan_Vega
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
That was for the silly, silly side stand lock out switch. Bike would not run at all with the side stand down.
What dp you mean by that ? I still have a side stand switch (ie I cannot start the engine if the side stand is down). That is connected to a smaller 2 pin socket next to that one I'm wondering of.

Quote:
I just pulled apart the standard deni carb. There is no way to adjust the needle height.
That sucks.
Did you install the mikuni vm22 on the link you provided ? Does it make a difference compared to the stock one ? Does it come with main and
Did you use the ooracing air filter ? if so what are the right jet sizes ? 105 ?
Alan_Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #101
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Vega View Post
What dp you mean by that ? I still have a side stand switch (ie I cannot start the engine if the side stand is down). That is connected to a smaller 2 pin socket next to that one I'm wondering of.

Mine does not have that 2nd plug. I thought you were pointing to the side stand switch. To remove it. Just undo the 8mm bolt on the side stand. Remove the plastic thing and unplug the plug. Thats all. Now you can warm up your bike on the side stand.

That sucks.
Did you install the mikuni vm22 on the link you provided ? Does it make a difference compared to the stock one ? Does it come with main and
Did you use the ooracing air filter ? if so what are the right jet sizes ? 105 ?

[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]The Vm22 just bolts straight on. Even the standard throttle cable fits. The Vm22 comes with a pilot jet of 15 and main jet of 95. The only thing I would check is before fitting.Is check and make sure the needle is on the middle setting. Mine was on the rich setting (2nd from the bottom, higher up for leaner). The 95 is the right size for a stock engine.[/COLOR]
Mine with the 150cc so far seems good with the 100 jet.
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #102
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
After a decent ride this morning. I can confirm the 150cc kit has made a big difference in riding fun. If the 150 is this much fun, then the 250 must be a real hoot.

A few of my friends traveled to Europe for the summer. An rode their bikes around. Including the Manx GP at the IOM.

All they bought me back was this.

__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #103
Alan_Vega
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
Mine does not have that 2nd plug. I thought you were pointing to the side stand switch. To remove it. Just undo the 8mm bolt on the side stand. Remove the plastic thing and unplug the plug. Thats all. Now you can warm up your bike on the side stand.
Strange. I kept the side stand but I can easily bypass it by unpluging the 2 smaller sockets you can see on the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
The Vm22 just bolts straight on. Even the standard throttle cable fits. The Vm22 comes with a pilot jet of 15 and main jet of 95. The only thing I would check is before fitting.Is check and make sure the needle is on the middle setting. Mine was on the rich setting (2nd from the bottom, higher up for leaner). The 95 is the right size for a stock engine.
I am a bit confused about these carb references. VM22 is 26mm carb ?
They seem to be two version of this mikuni VM22, the one you sent (chinese copy ?) and the other one (real one I guess) ?
Considering the stock carb is a Deni PZ26, chances are the spec are the same as the VM22, no ?
Also do you have easy access on the air mixture screw on your carb ?

And that's a nice sticker...
Alan_Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #104
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,869
Welcome to the confusing world of the Chinese. There are two types of Mikuni. The real Japanese one that you linked, and the Chinese copy I have. The real one has the mixture screw on the side. Mine has the mixture screw underneath and is bit fiddly, but can be reached with a small screwdriver.

It gets even more confusing as they call it a 26mm, but is really is a 22mm.

Chinese Mikuni
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #105
bigbottomedanarchist
Adventurer
 
bigbottomedanarchist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Tasmania
Oddometer: 69
Hey Dan,

Your not leaving me with much of an option in the Ace horsepower wars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
After a decent ride this morning. I can confirm the 150cc kit has made a big difference in riding fun. If the 150 is this much fun, then the 250 must be a real hoot.

A few of my friends traveled to Europe for the summer. An rode their bikes around. Including the Manx GP at the IOM.

All they bought me back was this.

bigbottomedanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014