ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #751
barnyard
Verbal tactician
 
barnyard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: central Mn
Oddometer: 10,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I wonder how long that will take to repair.
UP has been running round the clock ballast trains since Sunday (I think). When the big railroads decide they want to get something done, it takes way less time than what you would think. I would bet the next issue of Trains will include timelines for when all the work will be done.
__________________
all around good guy
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #752
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,147
UP has some official videos up showing the process of prepping the 4014 for the move to their steam shops in Cheyenne for overhaul:



Access the series here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...qfs2vIoq_wGTVe
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #753
barnyard
Verbal tactician
 
barnyard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: central Mn
Oddometer: 10,393
It kind of bums me out that Steve Lee is not part of the restoration effort. Trains interviewed him when he was overseeing the overhaul of 3985. I thought that his knowledge and the people that he knew would be invaluable for this project.
__________________
all around good guy
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #754
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
It kind of bums me out that Steve Lee is not part of the restoration effort. Trains interviewed him when he was overseeing the overhaul of 3985. I thought that his knowledge and the people that he knew would be invaluable for this project.
I think Steve's enjoying a well-earned retirement and I'd imagine most of the guys working on 4014 trained under him. There are still a lot of knowledgeable guys out there working on steam.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #755
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road
 
KHJPHOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Here for now; but leaving soon
Oddometer: 640
Workin On THe Strasburg Railroad

__________________
KHJPHOTO
BMWMOA
BMWRA
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #756
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
Hope those bearings are packed with water proof grease. Or is that normal to pressure wash the wheels?
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #757
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Hope those bearings are packed with water proof grease. Or is that normal to pressure wash the wheels?
Nope, the Strasburg actually switched to oil lubrication on the locomotive rods fairly recently. Yes, it is normal to pressure wash the wheels. It'll be OK.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #758
marret
Transient
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 217
Took a steam locomotive ride out of Lambrecht Germany today. The ride is about an hour to where the train stops and goes back. They moved the locomotive to the back and used it facing backwards on the return.












marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #759
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,001
I thought I'd wake this thread back up. A friend sent me this article.





http://www.gereports.com/post/771764...alks-about-his
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #760
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I thought I'd wake this thread back up. A friend sent me this article.





http://www.gereports.com/post/771764...alks-about-his
I run that stretch of track everyday. Amazing that thing never made it to some museum.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #761
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Newcastle, England
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
Here is Grandpa




That's an odd looking thing.
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #762
barnyard
Verbal tactician
 
barnyard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: central Mn
Oddometer: 10,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthernMonkey View Post
That's an odd looking thing.
Power unit for a mine, cannot make them tall, not enough head space.
__________________
all around good guy
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #763
nickguzzi
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 74
This last week has had the last 6 remaining Sir Nigel Gresley designed A4 Pacific streamliners together. They have been at the National Railway Museum in York. Search their site for more pix and info.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...20_968x582.jpg
best pic I could find. My BiL was there (works for the BBC). He may have more photies, but they are likely to be chemical rather than digital.

You sure have a lot of beautiful trains over there, I have only seen one, which was in the French National Railway Museum in Mulhouse. Sent over as part of the Marshall Plan aid to rebuild Europe.
http://citedutrain.com/fr/home has a pic on their home page.

Mulhouse is also home to the National Car Museum. Collected by the French Govt from the Schlumpf brothers who had defrauded said govt for years to bank roll their passion for all things Bugatti.
nickguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #764
DC950
Microadventurer
 
DC950's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, Motorcycle Purgatory
Oddometer: 2,717
thanks Nickguzzi. Beautiful.

__________________
God. Family. Motorcycles. Guns. Music. Books. Dogs. Beer. Baseball. Work. That about covers it.


DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #765
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguzzi View Post
This last week has had the last 6 remaining Sir Nigel Gresley designed A4 Pacific streamliners together. They have been at the National Railway Museum in York. Search their site for more pix and info.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...20_968x582.jpg
best pic I could find. My BiL was there (works for the BBC). He may have more photies, but they are likely to be chemical rather than digital.

You sure have a lot of beautiful trains over there, I have only seen one, which was in the French National Railway Museum in Mulhouse. Sent over as part of the Marshall Plan aid to rebuild Europe.
http://citedutrain.com/fr/home has a pic on their home page.

Mulhouse is also home to the National Car Museum. Collected by the French Govt from the Schlumpf brothers who had defrauded said govt for years to bank roll their passion for all things Bugatti.
I've always thought the European trains had more style than our US counterparts. Those are beautiful.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014