Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1111
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
I'm with ya..........gold anything (forks, calipers, rotors, etc.) does not belong on a motorcycle IMO.

Aprilia made a Tuono a few years back with a gold fork, calipers, & frame. NONE of the gold shade was the same. One of the worst looking bike in history IMO.
Them's fightin' words mate. :)

Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #1112
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,025
Paukibiker, You had to know someone here has one of those gold bikes you were dissing and you dissed it anyway. Hee,Hee,Hee... At least you said IMO, which covers your butt. I've heard the Tuono's were some fast, great handling bikes, regardless of color.

Croak, is that a fact, fast and great handlers? tp
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1113
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Paukibiker, You had to know someone here has one of those gold bikes you were dissing and you dissed it anyway. Hee,Hee,Hee... At least you said IMO, which covers your butt. I've heard the Tuono's were some fast, great handling bikes, regardless of color.

Croak, is that a fact, fast and great handlers? tp
Yep, all true. Though the gold and bronze framed models were of course the fastest, best handling of the bunch, and the Magnet Gray was the best performing model of all. :)

But seriously, I've owned a lot of bikes, and my decade old, 70k mile Tuono is still my favorite. It's 30ish pounds heavier than the Yamaha, but 10+ pounds more torque and 15+ more HP, all day comfortable on the slab or the backroads. It's been dead nuts reliable except for being a bit hard on batteries and fork seals (blame the wheelies).

With a good aftermarket EEPROM and full dual exhaust it's very tractable down low, kicks like a mule in the midrange, and screams all the way to redline. Finally, it actually looks like it might have more tank range than the Yamaha (amazing since it's a thirsty bike).

Sadly, it's in storage in Vancouver and I'm in Malta (and riding a Kymco scooter!). So the MT-09 is tempting me as a European replacement, but it works out to over 2x the cost of just buying a used, well sorted Tuono from Italy, so it's not a slam dunk.

But it is the first Japanese bike I've actually considered owning in over a decade, if that tells you anything.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1114
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,299
sat on one yesterday when i went in to buy a pair of gloves.

it was grey metallic whatever.

felt like a ninja 300. seems very light and compact.

up close in person -the snapping turtle sized undermuffler looks a bit uglier than the pics.

6 months ago i thought maybe it would replace my bandit 1250, but I don't think i'm quite ready to be on something that small. it would do as a third bike in the stable.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #1115
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
sat on one yesterday when i went in to buy a pair of gloves.

it was grey metallic whatever.

felt like a ninja 300. seems very light and compact.

up close in person -the snapping turtle sized undermuffler looks a bit uglier than the pics.

6 months ago i thought maybe it would replace my bandit 1250, but I don't think i'm quite ready to be on something that small. it would do as a third bike in the stable.
And still no one looks at the VIN tag...............
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #1116
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
And still no one looks at the VIN tag...............
wtf are you complaining about ?
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #1117
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich View Post
three pages back he wanted to see a full vin because one of the digits tells you which country it was made in. i hadn't read 3 pages back so i didn't know he wanted that info...
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1118
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post

Paulibiker is right. None of the three golds match - atrociously bad, looks like it was amateur hour at the factory when they made that one....
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1119
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Wow he was right, the gold tints are all slightly different.

2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1120
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich View Post
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #1121
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Wow he was right, the gold tints are all slightly different.

Brembo made the calipers and discs, Ohlins made the forks, Rotax made the clutch cover, OZ made the wheels, Aprilia made the frame and decals. Shit happens. And I don't give a shit, I didn't buy it to impress the ladies here, I bought it after I rode one. :)

Then it becomes one of the most beautiful bikes made in the last decade. Not IMO, fact.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #1122
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

croak, if you squint really good, the golds all look kinda alike. Don't care the color, that is a killer bike with great parts... Would you send it down to Texas a while so I can ride it for you? Keep the battery up and all throughout your winter time...tp
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #1123
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Cycle trader search

I did this search last week, and it came up zero. More around now. Somewhere on page 7, it starts to bring up anything with FZ in front of it though.

http://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha-Fz...ed:desc&page=1

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #1124
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I went and sat on one at the dealer yesterday. The dealer and I had an agreement that I would be the first one they called when it was ready to drop on the showroom floor. I went in fully expecting to buy it. Light weight, nice power, good looks in pics. But in person, those wheels are ucking fugly. Seriously, it was the wheels that turned me off, and also the fact that it is a new model and sure to be full of mistakes and future recalls. I could envision all my buddies asking if I went to Walmart and bought some redneck blue spray paint. It felt good sitting on it, light as a feather. It felt more expensive than $8,000. But something just stopped me from wanting to ride it home.

So, I bought a 2007 Honda 919. I went for a ride on the 919 and was instantly smiling ear to ear. I even power wheelie'd it in front of the dealership. Fun bike, great power curve and in a weird way, similar to the FZ-09. Cept for the fact that I only paid $4800 for it. And, I like to be different. The 919 never really caught on here in the states, and after riding it, I don't understand why. Freaking awesome bike. Well, I will be ordering a new seat though.

I still have an eye on the FZ-09, but I may wait a couple of years and see how the bike develops. I also want to see what Triumph's response will be. Hell, what everyones response will be. A 414 lb bike with that much power for $8,000 is gonna sell like crazy and cause everyone else to build a new bike to match or beat it. This FZ-09 may end up being the greatest thing to happen for us since the 80's Honda interceptor or the first Ninja. Who knows what great low priced bikes will be created as a result of the FZ-09?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I really thought I was going to buy that FZ-09, but to me, those wheels are horrendous. And I wanna see what happens as a result of this bike before writing a check for $8,400.

Yep, went to buy an FZ-09 that I had been dreaming about all summer and rode off on a 919. What a day.

Solarbronco screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 09:14 AM
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #1125
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Congrats on the purchase. If ya don't like the wheels, ya just don't like the wheels. Saving almost 50% helps, too. Some extra bucks to farkle the 919, too...

I do understand. Got a '10 Tiger 1050 and it had the ugliest front plastics I had ever seen, and it caused the lights to shine out only about 50'. Expensive mistake, for me... Enjoy the 919... tomp dd50