Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,491
Thanks for the RR. Looks like fun. Im about three RRs behind. Lots more terrain to cover. I hope I can follow you (4miles away at the "lower" trail) again.....ha kidding. My brother has been driving the gumption of youth back into me.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #47
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Always like your pics and adventures Mef. Thanks for taking the time to put them up.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #48
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
I know the area well. I need to get back up there and do some off road riding on my XT225 now that it is cooling off a bit. I also do a lot of roadriding in that area, and farther north.

1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #49
ducmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Cool pics & report. I need to get out!!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Another time... Tried the same area again on Sunday Morning... This time I crossed over Power Line Pass and attacked Sols Wash from the upper end.

Crossed the RR tracks and through this wire gap designed for scooters. Just pop-up onto the trail... seems simple enough most days.

These are commonly called AZ mud tanks... this little hole is likely 12'to 15' deep as it was recently cleaned.

This li'l tank is near the top of the Power Line Pass. It has a stone dam just in front of my wheel. It was quite obvious by all the debris that the dam was clearly over-run.

This was my normal route below the dam. The ledge on the far side is where I needed to be. Not this time! I continued further down the wash and found a place somewhat easier to cross. No vertical bank on the other side.

Continued on along the Power Lines and came to this gate. The drifts of sand were on each side but I was just able to open it enough to get by. It is open in this photo... There was about 10 miles of this type of riding... very loose sand and wash-outs. Did I mention I do not like sand!!!

Now on the loop back, got to hwy 71 and traveled North a couple miles to a gate back to the East. Found this tank with some shade trees for a cool break. The dam had partially washed over but the cows seemed to like the green plants near the water.

Found the trail back to the East and could see where I missed the gate on Friday. Only 100 feet away but it cost me 4 miles of backtrack. ... an adventure.
Traveled about 8 miles and came to the regular Sols Wash crossing. It was bad... sand rollers and water with quicksand on the far bank. Looked at several other possible crossings only to find the same situation. Finally came to this spot. Sand was rather flat. No water on the far side but soft sand but not tooo soft walking. Not a verticle rise only about a 80% incline for 3' then another 8' of 45% and rather solid clay.
May be a good place to use the SPOT if I get in the really soft stuff. Hwy 93 was only about 3 miles away so my rescue team could get there kinda easy. What the hell...give it a shot, second gear & not too much wheel spin... or so I hoped.

Well the pic tell the story... The wet sand was certainly softer than I had imagined. The torque of the XR4 booted me right out & up to the top and chugged to a stop just at the precipice.

Pic shows where the sand got soft... started sucking the wind out of 2nd gear at that point. Not soft loose sand but hard packed soft sand... You can't see the li'l rise to the top from here.

This shows the vertical rise a li'l better!

Such a simple little crossing... NOT... just got lucky. ...this was the easy crossing the others were much much worse.

Then several more miles of these washed-out ranch roads back to the railroad.
However I did shave about an hour off Friday time through this area.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I know the area well. I need to get back up there and do some off road riding on my XT225 now that it is cooling off a bit. I also do a lot of roadriding in that area, and farther north.

Hope to get my lunch route (this one) to the Wayside at Alamo lake sorted out again soon. These nice days are like Sirens luring me to the wilds of Arizona.
If this looks like your kind of riding let me know... I'll put you on my email list.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #52
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662

Then several more miles of these washed-out ranch roads back to the railroad.
However I did shave about an hour off Friday time through this area. [/QUOTE]

Now this pic. looks like way too much fun. I will be back from Denver on the 8th & ready to try out these or the route over by Alamo Lake
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #53
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Another day... Back towards Alamo Lake. Jumped hwy 71 heading West.

Still lots of this yellow stuff... everywhere. Also lot's of Quail hunters today.

This was the first minor detour of the day... The road across Bullard Wash was gone... only this 4' drop on the far side of the wash. However a soft-sand crossing was upstream a few yards.

A cool drink near this Li'l Saguaro...

Zipp'n along on the good part of Alamo Lake Road and see something soaring. Too far from the lake to see this kind of activity? Hell I get down the road a bit and these Idiot's were pulling these kite things, not certain what they are called. A guy runs along to open the sail and then a pickup starts towing him down the road. Those crazy SOBs get really high before being turned loose to glide down between the cactus! I know they are certified CRAZY so I do not hang around ! ! !

Went on to the Ranger station to see if my buddy, Ranger Mark was working...
On to the main launch ramp. Kinda high and dry. I have launched here hundreds of times. It is possible to launch at Cholla ramp if your careful.

Did not take the easy route back... always looking for new additions to my "loop rides". Found this Tall-Cattle gate along the way.

Cruising around this corner and this The trail completely washed out about 1/4 mile further. It took me about 45 minutes to get around this little dilemma. There was a wide Mesquite thicket all around and three fences and only one wire-gap to escape by. I avoided the Mesquites as much as possible. My last three rides have produced a big thorn or two each time. The slime allows me to get home and make the repair at the shop. Much easier than on the trail.
Slime

I'm guessing some kind of phone lines.... Kind'a ironic as there is not even cell service in the area

Nice ride today... Once I figured out All the shooting was not at me!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #54
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Some have asked where I'm riding? Well I missed Cyberdos's class on GPS so I'll give you a SPOT link.
These damn SPOT maps make it look like there are roads/trails everywhere. Well they are full-of-shit cause it is not sooo.
Any way this is a spot link from my last report. http://fms.ws/E6_Du/34.11364N/113.22383W
Old 10-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #55
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Nice ride today... Once I figured out All the shooting was not at me!

Neat thread!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #56
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great desert pics! I love riding in the Wickenburg area, especially the box when it's warm outside.
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #57
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Another time... Just a short 40 mile ride with avg. speed 17mph. This time to the East of home. Have been riding out West for past several trips and thought I needed to get back into the "rocks" again. Limited pix as I was short on time.

Some of you may recognize these signs...

A quick break under this old Mesquite.

Sitting there on the ground under the Mesquite and notice things moving around my boot... Yikes ! ! ! Scorpions, Tarantellas, Javelina, Mountain lions... all these things run through my mind as I jump up ...and this O'l boy can jump fast when in danger of items listed above.
Great relief when I see they are only these little frogs/toads. One even tried to go along for a ride

Do not understand why but this kind of sign keeps jumping out in front of me, "Skull & Crossbones".

OK I agree this was not one of the most exciting reports.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #58
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Another time... I had planned on taking AZTom on a ride today but I'm riding alone again. Decided to go to a place not too far from home (as the crow flies) that I had not been to for 4 or 5 years.
Isaac Bradshaw, 1819 -1885, Grave Sight.
Did not start till about 9 as it was to be a very casual ride.

First stop... Out Constellation Road a few miles out of town. You can just barely see the Wickenburg Airport near the top of my mirror. The road I can in on in the distance.

Nice little Saguaro nursery hill.... This is just past Robert's Roost (did not get a photo).

Someone really spruced this up a few years ago and it looks like it is an annual job.

Yep that is me...

A new gate on the climb out of Castle Creek...

This end of the trip was pretty good road... just Up>>>>

.... and down <<<<<

and UP>>>> Eventually getting to Buckhorn Ranch Road and back home.

Mileage from my door...

Had intended to put the GPS elevation screen here but don't know how... Ohhh Cyberdos. Damn computer thingeeee's

However GPS said 34.6 miles (from junction of Constellation & Buckhorn Road & back to that point). 3 hours & 24 min. speed 10mph.
The jeep trail 5 miles either side of Roberts Roost was kinda tough. Just an old washed out jeep trail extreme UP & Down with a few drops to keep you awake. Hell a couple of times I was in first gear! One of the hills I even worked up a bit of sweat just holding on-to the xr4...

This would be a great return trip route for some of you boys who like to eat Breakfast at Ike's. I would not want to tackle it on a big bike but I'm no expert as what you should ride.

Hope you enjoyed this one as I certainly did.

mefadv screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 11:56 AM
Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #59
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Hope you enjoyed this one as I certainly did.

i enjoy all your little rides,,, keep'em going.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #60
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,839
Nice pix mefadv. . Must join u soon on a ride in your area as the weather is getting cooer up north.