Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #136
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
We hit that same stretch of road with the busted up "concrete" but it was wet. Felt like I was going to loose the bike the whole time. Even stopped to check out if something was wrong with the bike. Luckily it didn't last long. Was told later by a local it's very slippery when wet. And this is what conditions we did the ride from Monte Verde to Tiliran.

Alot of your shots bring back memories.

Keep it comin, I got the CR fever bad.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #137
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
We hit that same stretch of road with the busted up "concrete"... Luckily it didn't last long.
I share that sentiment. Not a route I will PLAN to hit, ever. The gravel on a flat rear was more enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
Keep it comin, I got the CR fever bad.
You know what the only cure is... .

If so look me up: and . Likely in reverse order though.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #138
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Thumb Adventure Commuting.

RE: My last post… The electrical issue turned out to be my R/R. I can’t say enough about having a proper bike manual. It walks dip shits like me through the process of finding the Zen in motorcycle maintenance. I found a brand spanking new R/R for $10 that is intended for a chino bike. All the resistance readings matched, the 3 Y wire connection matched and the Pos/Neg leads were easily swapped compatibly with the original Suzuki connector. It mounted to the original bolt holes as if it were made for the bike. Fingers crossed, and a new OEM is in route just in case.

So… the ride. I have recently changed jobs and when taking a particular route home I am tempted.

That has got to lead somewhere, right?

Costa Rica, like many civilizations worldwide, abandoned and buried its mass transit/rail system. Years later they realized the error and are now reviving it. So this afternoon the rains held off long enough to let me wander. This was my 20 km ADVcommute.

Departing the office.

Hit the highway.

Now at this point I am approaching the toll booth which creates traffic. When this happens I start improvising. A quick right, through the bus stop and I am free of that nonsense. Although as I got off the bike today to take this pic, they must have opened the flood gates and eliminated the toll as the highway’s throughput drastically improved. Lucky me, because I will not try to make the one foot wide ramp over the two foot deep concrete gutter when the highway is moving at full tilt.

The “offroad” is only a few hundred meters, but fun none the less. Much more fun when all the cars on the highway are parked.

About a kilometer from my highway exit I reach the crossroads that has been provoking me that past few weeks.

Duplicate pic, I know, but the blue and white building there is the Fuerza Publica station. I got a wave, a smile and a thumbs up from one of the officers as I hopped the curb, drove over the sidewalk and took off down the ADV trail.

Just around the bend from the cop shop, what I thought was the road less traveled was quite traveled. This was slightly disappointing.

Soon enough, that all changed.

The “road” eventually dissipated to me just riding the railroad tracks.

Until finally I could go no further.

The hillside had taken over the tracks. I would have had to ride on the one visible rail with the hillside to my right and a steep drop to my left in order to push on. I had had enough fun for today.

Turning the bike around was quite the chore and not far back was an exit onto the pavement.

The ADV was now behind me, but it was not long before I was reunited with the rail line.

Not far ahead the golden arches were welcoming me to civilization and I could see the red dome of Alajuela’s Central Park Cathedral.

As I head out of town the weather wasn’t looking so inviting in the direction of home.

I was cutting it close… rain gear or not to rain gear?

I push on. The rain gear will be nice and dry for tomorrow and I was close enough to la choza. I escaped getting wet, and made it home.

See you on the ADV trail and thanks for riding along.

GRinCR screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 09:26 AM
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #139
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Cry I am not Riding Enough.

I have studied more in the past two months than I did in all of HS and Uni. combined. Might have been easier to do when I didn’t have kids or a wife… ? It is done now and I am going AWOL from institutional education for at least a little while.

The Route:

The gravel is optional because I may be riding with someone who has only 500 kms of seat time under his belt. All this is weather permitting. We have been getting a little rain in the past month. Here is the story of the missing bridge which might have us seeking plan B.

So if no rain drops are pinging off the tin roof at 0600 tomorrow morning, we RIDE . I say it is 50/50… this too is the 3rd Sunday we have planned to make this trip.

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #140
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

I can't imagine anyone else having an adventure in just 12 miles!

Here in western Panama I don't have to wonder whether or not it is going to rain, I can count on it raining, sometimes very hard, every afternoon. If I am less than a half hour from home I generally don't bother putting on the rain gear, the rain is warm and I have a hot shower and dry clothes at home.

I am about 7 hours away from you, one of these days I might just drop in for a visit, there are more riding opportunities in CR than here.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #141
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Central Valley – North

I was up late finishing an oil change and you know, the late-night buzz before a ride. I cannot imagine what it would be like the night before embarking on a ride much longer… like a week maybe…

0600: Ready.

0625: Waiting.

An artsy shot of the weeds in front of my garage.

By 0630 I was antsy and could not wait any more. I shot Mr. Juanca a SMS and left. By the time I reached the gas station in town to top off, I had gotten a call back. So we agreed to meet on the way out of town. I wait.

0744: Meet Juan Carlos. 550 Kms of seat time and counting.

Now the show is on the road.

High above the clouds peering into the Caribbean lowlands. If you are eating a banana as you read this, it is likely from down there.

Rednecks… they are everywhere.

In route to the missing bridge.

We eventually cross paths with a young man playing gatekeeper at the top of the hill. He was playing hardball saying there is no way we can go through. It is only open from 1200-1300, blah, blah, blah. I politely requested to see and speak with his boss. The boy told me the boss was at the bottom of the hill. I must go find him.

He must be down here somewhere.

We never did find the boss, but bumped into these two peddlers. They were cool .

I pushed to cross, but Juanca wasn’t feeling it . I can’t blame him seeing he hasn’t ridden even 1,100 Kms in his life and I am tossing him in a river, twenty feet from a waterfall. Also may not be the best idea to push on since the average speed today has been around 30 Kms/Hr and it rains in the afternoon this time of year. I do have the desire to return before the bridge is in and the coolest river crossing ever is washed away.

We turn around, head back through Vara Blanca and turn towards Poasito. We are onto Plan B (see above map).

1015: We are in Poasito and hungry.

After lunch we took off up to the entrance of Poas National Park. On our way back down, I signaled to Juan that we cut off onto a little gravel track I know of. He shrugged and I assumed it was an affirmative shrug. We leave the pavement.

We eventually turned around to find our way back down into the Valley. Not without stopping for fresh strawberries first.

We can hear thunder nearby and Juan seems peculiarly excited to be heading into a thunderstorm.

We find the rain and stop.

As Charlie commented above, when you are this close to home it is more of a pain to put on the rain gear. So we quickly stash phones and wallets in the trunk and continue on.

We drove out of the storm and the roads were still dry when we made it to my house at 1330.

Here is the damage:

102 Kms for the day, one-sixth of Juanca’s entire riding career. Stay safe and welcome to the asylum buddy.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #142
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

New Years 2010. To David and Back.

Time to rewind this a bit to days past when getting away for a weekend was possible. A New Years trip to David, Panama.

I had gotten my future-wife her passport as a gift and figured we should use it. We further validated our excuse with the fact it was New Years and I selfishly desired to see what this “International Motorcycling” hype was all about. Excuse validated: RIDE!

31Dec, 0700 and climbing into the mountains on the CR1, Panamerican HWY.

We make a quick stop for gas and to bundle up. It wasn’t enough. I learned on this day that it is over 10,000 ft., even in the tropics.

At 0828 we were fully frozen. We had come down enough to stop, thaw and grub at a mountainside soda.

We then haul ass for the boarder.

By 1500 we had made it to David and checked in.

Don’t remember much from the night, but know it was fun. The next day we had a choice: head West to the beach or East into the mountains. We chose “A”.

We arrived to the beach about 45 minutes away. It was packed and there was no shade. We saw that at least all the people were crowding near the water so who cares how hot it is? We will be in the water. WRONG! I was overwhelmed by the roar of gigantic waves breaking not far off shore. We wander a bit to find out all the people were crowded at water’s edge because they had just pulled two bodies from the water and one was still MIA. This was not a swimming beach. Story went: One guy struggles, two jump in to save him and they all are assumed dead. Happy New Year right?

That was kind of a buzz-kill so Ana and I didn’t set up camp. We headed back to David, where even the manikins really happy.

Back at the Hotel, the peaceful tranquility of the pool area had disappeared.

FLESH! Let’s go!

That was our last night in Panama. We planned on staying one more night but Ana was telling me about her Grandparents who lived just over the border. Hmmm… Sit around the Hotel (David, Panama is boring (IMHO)) or RIDE more… what a stupid question.

02Jan11, 1310. Drove into the border and these guys snubbed their noses at us when we pulled up so I parked my dirty old bike as far away from theirs as possible.

Shortly after the border we turn left off the Pan-am and the pavement ended. We drove and drove, lost at times but just kept going. Looking for landmarks, asking the few folks we did see what lie ahead. I am liking this girl I had just met…

1730: We arrive at Grandma and Grandpa’s ranch. Raw chocolate (Cacao) anyone?

Unfortunately the vacation had to end. We said our good-byes the next afternoon and depart.

The old ferry to Pavones.

1414: A quick stop in Dominical and back on the road.

Just before 1600 we stop at one of my all-time favorite restaurants. El Avion. The Mahi Mahi sandwich is amazing and the view isn’t bad either.

We haul ass for home.

Let us pretend we didn’t drive the last hour or so from Jaco in the dark. Also pretend we made it in time for dinner overlooking the Central Valley at sunset. Much cooler!

GRinCR screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 07:10 PM
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #143
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, a couple of comments.

1) Kudos to Juan Carlos. Many new riders spend all their money on a bike, and think the don't need any gear. It looks like he has a good start on this.

2) I can't think of a worse place to go than Paso Canoas to David. Next trip cross the border at Rio Sereno, we can cruise the Hhighlands and you can stay on my sofá.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #144
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
OK, a couple of comments.

1) Kudos to Juan Carlos. Many new riders spend all their money on a bike, and think the don't need any gear. It looks like he has a good start on this.

2) I can't think of a worse place to go than Paso Canoas to David. Next trip cross the border at Rio Sereno, we can cruise the Highlands and you can stay on my sofá.
1- Agreed. Very surprising for any local to be wearing more than shorts and flip flops. More so if they have never been down. Juanca is doing it right. He is very cautious and goes extremely slow. I got the best mileage yet while riding with him last weekend. Avg. speed was likely around 35 Km/hr.

2- Agreed. Paso Canoas = Sh*t Hole. I am dying to do the Rio Sereno cross. I wish I had done my homework in 2010 and known it was there. Couch invite noted. I will have to build up some vay-cay time for a Panama run.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #145
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Great roads and twisties at Rio Sereno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
1- Agreed. Very surprising for any local to be wearing more than shorts and flip flops. More so if they have never been down. Juanca is doing it right. He is very cautious and goes extremely slow. I got the best mileage yet while riding with him last weekend. Avg. speed was likely around 35 Km/hr.

2- Agreed. Paso Canoas = Sh*t Hole. I am dying to do the Rio Sereno cross. I wish I had done my homework in 2010 and known it was there. Couch invite noted. I will have to build up some vay-cay time for a Panama run.
I've done the Rio Sereno border crossing a couple of times, and despite the wait on the Panama side tgis one time because the ONE computer operated by the ONE custom agent was down , the road on the Panama side is superb and probably in my Top 5 list so far. Interestingly enough, it's quite the opposite on the CR side - sh*tty roads to say the least (last time I was there anyway).

Nice update Greg! Keep them coming.
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #146
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

130 Kms for Breakfast. La Paz – Toro Amarillo Loop.

This was a monumental day for two reasons. YBCAGED agreed to go on a ride with me and a ride further than the grocery store. The route is similar to that of PLAN “A” from last weekend’s ride, done counter clockwise from Mi Casa. Let’s RIDE!

2100 the night before: weather was not looking good, but at 0600 the day of:

Go time!

A flower as I wait to see the Yellow GS round the bend.

It never happened. What did happen was my phone rang and the man was asking where I was. Turns out he beat me to the rendezvous spot but didn’t stop. I found him 10 kms up the road and we continue in a Northerly direction towards Poas Volcano.

At the top and I was cold without a sweatshirt. It was 18C on the dash.
A view of Poas, looking West. I bet the crater is below those UFO looking clouds.

As we near the La Paz Waterfall the construction zone starts.

The bridge is in and now open for three hours a day, one hour at a time and our window was from 0700-0800. We were there 15 minutes early because I thought it was 0600-0700. Good thing we were running late. At the roadblock we of course took the liberties every motorcyclist should and pulled right to the front of the line.

I was planning on stopping at the waterfall to play around at the river crossing because YB brought along his DSLR. Unfortunately the work crew dug out the road and left a giant hole where the road crossed the river. DAMN! I should have gone for it last week.

Once I saw this, we just moved on. We were in front of everyone now.

The road was motorcycle bliss as we continued North.

It is now 0742 and we had mentioned stopping for coffee. We stopped at this restaurant which contained the word Coffee in its name. Perfect!

It was a ghost town. I walked in and there was no one to be found. Only a few wounded soldiers, an empty shot glass, a half of lime and a dirty plate.

We got back on the bikes. In route, I was quite surprised to catch a peek-a-boo view of Arenal Volcano way off in the distance.

When we hit the city of San Miguel we turn West for 6kms to the city of Rio Cuarto. In Rio Cuarto we have success in our search for coffee. It is 0806, the temperature is in the 30’s and we are 63 kms into the morning.

As we pulled into the restaurant and stopped I noticed something amiss. My bike was idling rough. I let it go and discovered as we departed that I had been running with the choke on. Fixed! Now back on the road we take a left and head South a short ways outside of Rio Cuarto. I was going to take a pic of the bikes next to the road closed sign but it now says open.

It was another blissful road with mountains all around while crossing many little rivers and streams. It is also quite empty since it is in a state of disrepair dating back to the quake of 2009.

The further we get South, the more the mountains close in on us. We have reached the “city” of Toro Amarillo and are faced with the wall ahead. You can see the road as it switchbacks its way up the mountain through the washout. I pointed this out to YBCAGED and he replied with “It better be paved.”

On this stretch from Rio Cuarto I had been noticing something strange but all too familiar. My dash light was out and my horn stopped working. As we were stopped for the pic in Toro Amarillo I dismount. What I confirmed was my headlight was dim to almost nothing and when it was turned on no other lights would work. Hmmm…? Turn the headlight off and at least I got a brake light. Good enough for now; onward.

Future Ride Report: Turning right. This day we go left. Mr. Caged is still a bit traumatized from the last time I took him off pavement .

Moving along, zig-zaging up the mountain we hug a massive valley with big drop offs. You don’t want to over-shoot a curve on this road. Waterfalls litter the other side of the valley to help distract you as you go.

At the top, the temperatures have dropped again. A look back North into the valley we just climbed out of.

Another view of Poas Volcano, only this time from the other side looking East.

0945: The Central Valley sprawls before us and we begin our decent.

We stop one more time on the way down the mountain. I didn’t take many more pictures because I had to be at the Hospital to visit my wife by 1100.

Sexy Bi*ches!

We arrived at my house at 1045 after a total of 128.8 Kms. There was time for a few ice cold, morning Coronas.

Hasta La Proxima Viajeros!

GRinCR screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 07:42 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #147
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Bluhduh Not Exactly an Ideal Monday Evening.

Thought it was shaping up to be a rather nice Monday. I had to put the rain gear on but I never quite drove into the storm, just skirted it the whole way home. The workload was pleasant and I couldn't really ask for more. Then I noticed a nail sticking out of the back tire.

I pulled out the nail which was about an inch deep and it didn't go hiss so... I can't be that lucky, and wasn't:

I could probably get by since it is a very slow leak...

but I need the practice.

This is going to suck.
Hours Later:

It did suck and I am not pleased with the result even though it is fixed .

I, meaning me my wife and my neighbor, fought that SOB until 2130 doing dangerous sh*t too: we had my neighbor's bike propped on it's stand, with my weight on it and my wife trying with the tire iron under all this. It would not give. I didn't have the lumber to try the car, leaver thing and by this time we were frustrated to say the least. Last tire shop closes at 2200 so the trigger was pulled. $3 later, all patched up.

F*ck . Good thing I carry tire irons.

GRinCR screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 10:08 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #148
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

A Sunday Drive.

After the above misadventure, a ride is in order. Just a quickie on Sunday morning but about 50% new roads (for me at least). A little dirt from what I can see in Google and just praying for no rear flats .
Old 10-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #149
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Good stuff Greg. I haven't dropped by in a while, but I like that you revisit some old rides. Keep it up man. Peace.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #150
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Good stuff Greg. I haven't dropped by in a while, but I like that you revisit some old rides. Keep it up man. Peace.
As always thanks for following along. If I can't be riding physically, I ride mentally, in the past.

Luckily, this morning, I got to put in 120kms.

All the details in time. Off to a B-Day party for now.