Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #19981
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Got my ECU flash last week. It did remove the restriction in the first gears (why did Yamaha put restriction in the first place?) so now it got good bottom end.
Noticed a bit more torque mid range.
Biggest change was the smoother gear changes and can now change gears without my pillion rider bump her head into my helmet, I like that.
Unfortunately it did nothing for the vibration, when others wrote smoother I thought it meant less vibes but it was not the case :-( so my chase for less vibes continue but running out of options, thought this mods would have helped: Aftermarket muffler, CO adjustment, adjusted sync screws, heavy one pounder end bar weights, Flexx bars, foam grips, different bar angles, ECU flash. Have not tried the Rox anti vibe risers and what about synthetic oil?
Spend too much money to sell it so I have to live with it until there is a bike that will suit me better.
I was one of the people who had the vibes improve after my reflash, now my throttle hand doesn't fall asleep. Did you verify that you got the latest ECUnleashed revised reflash?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:58 AM   #19982
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Think I asked about if it was the latest flash version, should be since ECUnleashed exist a bit everywhere, anyway the tuner said the others raved about it.
I guess 30 years of riding start to catch up with my hands but having said that I personally think this bike vibrate more than many other I owned and definitely in the top of vibration kings in my book at least.
Thought the bike was getting better and could even do 4 hours between fuel stops without major problems but since I started to fiddle with changing bars back & forth it became worse. My hands got a real shake up from the aftermarket ones and maybe they did not "heal" up before my trip today after putting the stock bars again, getting pretty quick to change bars now :-)
Might as well continue anti vibe farkle and next up might be the vibranators and the 2 1/4" anti vibe bar risers from Rox also will get fresh foam grips and maybe other hand grips as well. Maybe my upcoming 6000 mile service will fix some vibes, I refuse to give hope as yet.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #19983
platty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Think I asked about if it was the latest flash version, should be since ECUnleashed exist a bit everywhere, anyway the tuner said the others raved about it.
Hey Red

Just checking ... did you get your reflash done in WA ?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #19984
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,848
Laugh Now *THAT'S* entertainment... Funny entertainment, too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Or *have* ridden a flashed bike and are just galled at the thought of throwing $500 at a bike that should have been right for its $13K price.

Bottom line...stay out of WOT above 5K RPM and the CJM will do just fine.

While I have to echo Pluric's eloquent rebuttal... I also have to laugh, out loud, a lot...

At what price do you think Yamaha should charge for how the bike is delivered? $500 less? A thousand?

How do you feel about the Super Tenere not coming with a skid plate? Or less than perfect suspension? What about the rear rack that's more of an ornament than useful for carrying stuff?

Or would you rather have all the bells and whistles the Beemer WetHead has, and its claimed increased power - at a BMW price - even though you might sacrifice the Yamaha's bulletproof reliability?

Perhaps you buy bikes like people buy appliances... but I buy to help stir my soul, and to make the ride there more memorable than the destination. Not operate the bike at WOT above 5,000 RPM??? You've really got to be kidding, right??? You may want to ride like you're driving a school bus, but that's not me... Nor do I think it's the vast majority of the "adventure" bike buyers out there, or Super Tenere customers, either.

Do you bemoan the fact that some Super Tenere's came with Metzler Tourance EXP's while other came with arguably inferior Bridgestone Battlewing's? Do you claim Yamaha charged you too much because perhaps the stock seat doesn't work for you? Or the stock windscreen? Or stock handlebars? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really don't hold a grudge against Yamaha because they didn't come consult me directly before release of the Super Tenere... I'm just glad they decided to sell it here!!!

But, hey... If you prefer a band-aid to a real performance improvement (let's not forget the many reports that the ECUnleashed Gen 2 re-flash also improves fuel economy) then by all means, go with the CJM... And when you ride off-road just ignore buying a decent skid plate and instead curse Yamaha for not giving you one in the $13-grand you paid... If the seat doesn't work for you by all means flip Yamaha the bird and suffer a sore bum and more frequent stops... If the bars make your wrists ache don't change 'em, just tell yourself it's too expensive and too much trouble to swap 'em and that you can live with it... All while riding around under 5,000 RPM and missing a lot of enjoyment of a truly magnificent motorcycle.

Yep, that's the answer!!! Curse the night and miss enjoying the day!!!

But me... I love my ECUnleashed re-flash... And my Parabellum windscreen... and my Penske shock and Stoltec-modded forks... not to mention both my Cee Bailey's *AND* Seat Concepts modded seats... Etc., etc., etc.!!!

And imagine how friggin' pissed those BMW, KTM, and Multistrada owners must feel when they have to spend any $$$ to improve their bikes!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #19985
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
I guess 30 years of riding start to catch up with my hands but having said that I personally think this bike vibrate more than many other I owned and definitely in the top of vibration kings in my book at least.
Thought the bike was getting better and could even do 4 hours between fuel stops without major problems but since I started to fiddle with changing bars back & forth it became worse. My hands got a real shake up from the aftermarket ones and maybe they did not "heal" up before my trip today after putting the stock bars again, getting pretty quick to change bars now :-)
Might as well continue anti vibe farkle and next up might be the vibranators and the 2 1/4" anti vibe bar risers from Rox also will get fresh foam grips and maybe other hand grips as well. Maybe my upcoming 6000 mile service will fix some vibes, I refuse to give hope as yet.

I had horrible vibration problems when I first purchased my bike. It was putting my hands and feet to sleep. I honestly was concerned about nerve damage because it would take my hands a day or two to recover after an extended ride. I raised hell with the selling dealership and with Yamaha customer service and was told that there was nothing they could do. Quite often I was told here, "My bike doesn't do that, it must be in your head". In short, I know what you are going through.

You mention in your post your upcoming 6000 mile service. You would think that at this point your bike would be broken in but mine wasn't. I currently have about 17,000 miles on mine and I swear it gets a little smoother all the time. The tingling and numb hands are now a thing of the past. If I could offer two bits of advice. The first would be to ride your bike and ride it hard. Obviously don't abuse it but DO NOT baby it. I purposely shifted higher in the rev range to force the motor to break in. I also took it to the twisties near here where you tend to rev it higher and have constant rpm changes. It helped a lot. In fact, I noticed a marked improvement after a certain weekend chasing my buddies all over the mountains. Secondly, buy yourself a pair of Grip Puppies. I paid about $10 American but they are worth ten times that in terms of comfort.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1zgyt9fd96_b

I hope this works for you. I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #19986
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I did the flash in WA. Good person to deal with and chose him since the place in Sydney did not respond to several e-mails and heard same stories from others plus the guy in WA was $100 cheaper, I`m not putting any blame on the tuner and have asked him if it was the 2nd gen flash and I should have an answer soon.
If I would not have heard so many others complains I would think it is me but I suppose it could be a combination with sensitive hands due to many years of riding in all weather plus this bike does actually vibrate more than many other bikes.
I did not baby the bike during break in period but maybe should rev it a bit more so it "loosen" up more..
I did have the grip puppies (foam grips) installed for 2-3000 miles but took them off and thought it was ok then, will order new ones asap and do the same thing. If it was not for the vibes and the wind management this bike would be in the absolute top of all the bikes I owned during 30 years. Been fiddling with the Parabellum wind screen and Madstad bracket and while it is better than stock it is worse than no screen regarding noise level, will keep it for rainy days and our Winter, will try the deflectors as well since people swear by them.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #19987
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes it was Gen 2 and apparently it was said that it would not decrease vibes much if at all.
I can recommend the WA tuner!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #19988
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
plus this bike does actually vibrate more than many other bikes.
I have read that a couple First Edition SA Teneres were replaced by Yamaha due to excessive vibration. Have you had a chance to ride another S10 for the sake of comparison?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #19989
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

I did ride one that had 4000 miles on the clock before I bought the current one and I thought that one vibrated a lot too, maybe I should have looked for something else already then, silly or what :-?
Will give it some time and get risers & foam grips but considering to test ride other bikes soon :-( will be plenty of farkles for sale one day.....
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #19990
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Dallara

Man I wish I could write like you
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #19991
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I did ride one that had 4000 miles on the clock before I bought the current one and I thought that one vibrated a lot too, maybe I should have looked for something else already then, silly or what :-?
Will give it some time and get risers & foam grips but considering to test ride other bikes soon :-( will be plenty of farkles for sale one day.....
Strange that your ECUnleashed dealer would say that the flash didn't tone down vibes as a number of owners have reported that the bike got smoother. It would be nice if you could try some S10s with more mileage, no other owners in your area?

If I was shopping for another bike down under, I would give the Honda Crosstourer a good look....
Old 09-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #19992
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,433
Red Dust-

Is there any chance that the throttle bodies were balanced incorrectly? Might be worth getting that checked again. Remember that the idiots working at a dealership are idiots. I know mine vibrated like a harley before I balanced the throttle bodies.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #19993
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes there are quite a few in the area, maybe chase one down and take it for a spin...
If the new DL1000 would have existed before I bought the ST.... :-?
Somehow I do not think the Honda Cross Tourer will go to the places I have been taking the ST to, the ST absolutely rocks on really bad roads such as forest tracks and mud and I`m not a Honda man :-I
Having said that I took my old DL650 to places where my mate on his GSA took his bike to and even with his great suspension and ground clearance I could keep up felt sorry for my bike though since the suspension bottomed out multiple times and my bash plats took lot of hits, on the ST I got a massive 11 pound frame mounted plate that will take on big rocks.
I`m pretty sure my ST will be in my ownership for quite some time still, she is still beloved and the hopes are still there for a long companionship :-)
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #19994
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Might take it to a different mechanic which I know is really good and balance the throttle bodies, could synthetic oil make a difference compared to mineral oil in this matter? Did I mention this forum is great!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #19995
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Yes there are quite a few in the area, maybe chase one down and take it for a spin...
If the new DL1000 would have existed before I bought the ST.... :-?
Somehow I do not think the Honda Cross Tourer will go to the places I have been taking the ST to, the ST absolutely rocks on really bad roads such as forest tracks and mud and I`m not a Honda man :-I
Having said that I took my old DL650 to places where my mate on his GSA took his bike to and even with his great suspension and ground clearance I could keep up felt sorry for my bike though since the suspension bottomed out multiple times and my bash plats took lot of hits, on the ST I got a massive 11 pound frame mounted plate that will take on big rocks.
I`m pretty sure my ST will be in my ownership for quite some time still, she is still beloved and the hopes are still there for a long companionship :-)
I think that any of the bikes in this class will go as far as their owners are capable of pushing them. But in any case, if I were in your shoes I would try to get some test rides on the other S10s in your area and then have your dealer check your bike if it did have excessive vibes compared to the others.