Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #181
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
The evaporating wet t shirt trick works well if you close up your riding jacket, otherwise the t shirt dries in about 15 minutes.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #182
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
It's exciting watching your progress down to central America. Regarding the really hot weather...have you done the wet t-shirt thing? You strip to the waist in the wash room, dunk your shirt in the basin, wring it out a bit, put it back on, hop on the bike and have amazing air conditioning for up to half an hour. It worked so we'll for me I bought one of those water absorbing vests......absorbs 5 pounds of water and slowly evaporates, cooling you down. That failed for me though, because the last few pounds accumulate around your waste, stay wet and don't evaporate, so then you have this soggy thing to deal with, not to mention the annoyance of that persistent wetness around your waist. I wonder about some convenient source of water on the bike to re-wet the shirt, or have a couple of wet ones in ziplock bags or something like that. It's heavenly while it's evaporating in hot weather.
Thanks for the tip, I have given that some thought but never tried it yet. I'll give it a shot.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #183
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Just get a latina to ride pillion in a wet t-shirt. Problem solved.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #184
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
The wet shirt deal works far better in less humid, yet still hot, environments.
You'll need to soak it in ice water when riding in high humidity, and then the inevitable soggy waistline happens. And saggy too, if you are like me.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #185
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 231
Down south I just run a gel ice-pack on back of my neck on long street rides. Fools my brain somehow and I get goosebumps. I keep a couple of spares in a thermos and refreeze them at night.
Wearing a light and breezy helmet helps too. Love Airoh helmets! Even prefer MX helmets down here as long as the speeds are under 160 kph.
In Mexico you need a Hayabusa on the coutas and a MX or Trials bike everywhere else! That's why I avoid the coutas and some of the fast libres, especially Hwy 30 between Torreon and Monclova. Ran the cruise at 200 kph and still kept getting passed.
None of my bikes go fast so now I take the burrow trails instead.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #186
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 36 Another Day for Relaxing

Day 36 Chetumal/Calderitas

Today I just lounged around the hotel and went for a walk along the waterfront. It’s pretty darn hot so spending too much time in the sun was not part of the plan today.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #187
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Day 34 Campeche to Chetumal 385km

Why am I storing the bike in Chetumal?
The reason for this has to do with vehicle importation rules in Belize. If one enters Belize with a vehicle, one must also leave with said vehicle. In my case I will be leaving Belize briefly to visit the ruins of Tikal in Guatemala. It’s only for two days but enough to cause problems at the border if I don’t have the bike.
Dave, just curious but why are you not taking the bike into Guatemala and then continuing down to Honduras from there? Maybe it was stated somewhere else and I missed it but I'm confused why you're going back into Belize from Tikal.
NomadicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #188
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Just get a latina to ride pillion in a wet t-shirt. Problem solved.
That may create more problems than it solves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You'll need to soak it in ice water when riding in high humidity, and then the inevitable soggy waistline happens. And saggy too, if you are like me.
At the moment the heat is pretty dry but I'm not riding for the next 10 days. I expect the humidity will return in short order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandbagger View Post
Down south I just run a gel ice-pack on back of my neck on long street rides. Fools my brain somehow and I get goosebumps. I keep a couple of spares in a thermos and refreeze them at night.
Wearing a light and breezy helmet helps too. Love Airoh helmets! Even prefer MX helmets down here as long as the speeds are under 160 kph.
In Mexico you need a Hayabusa on the coutas and a MX or Trials bike everywhere else! That's why I avoid the coutas and some of the fast libres, especially Hwy 30 between Torreon and Monclova. Ran the cruise at 200 kph and still kept getting passed.
None of my bikes go fast so now I take the burrow trails instead.

the Hornet DS I have seems to be fairly good for venting. I haven't exceeded 120 kph on this trip, primarily because I think my top speed is 130
Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #189
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicOne View Post
Dave, just curious but why are you not taking the bike into Guatemala and then continuing down to Honduras from there? Maybe it was stated somewhere else and I missed it but I'm confused why you're going back into Belize from Tikal.
The reason for this is because my wife is meeting me in Belize for a 10 day mini vacation. We are doing a side trip to Guatemala but returning to Belize. I made all these plans assuming that i would just store the bike in Belize during this time. However I learned about the Belize import rules after all the reservations had been made and flights paid for. In 10 days after my wife returns home, I'll retrieve the bike and re-enter Belize on my way to Guatemala and beyond
Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #190
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 37 Skelly goes to Lockup

Day 37 Chetumal/Calderitas

I divided my gear into two piles this morning. One pile is luggage for Belize and the other is staying with Skelly in Chetumal. I loaded the bike with the latter and prepared to ride the few blocks to where she’ll stay for the next 11 days. I knew where to find Charles’s place because he had given me an exact GPS location. I had also scouted the location when I arrived two days ago. I was there in a few minutes and was invited in for a cup of coffee. I met my host’s wife and friends of theirs who were visiting from Belize. We spent awhile visiting and I enjoyed a delicious piece of avocado fresh from the tree in the back yard. We moved Skelly into the back yard under cover and out of sight from the street. My gear was stowed inside the house and I locked everything up. I’m pretty confident it’s secure inside the fenced yard with two dogs on watch.

Tomorrow I catch a bus to Belize City and meet Wanitta at the airport. It’s going to be a long day for both of us but we are very excited to be having this little mini vacation. While in Belize I won’t be doing a daily update but perhaps I’ll get in a few posts over the next 11 days.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #191
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
The reason for this is because my wife is meeting me in Belize for a 10 day mini vacation. We are doing a side trip to Guatemala but returning to Belize. I made all these plans assuming that i would just store the bike in Belize during this time.
Makes sense! The two borders we did through that area (Belize-Guatemala @ Melcor de Menchos, Guatemala-Honduras @ Corinto) have been great compared to the experiences of others who go through San Salvador-Honduras(Choluteca).
NomadicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #192
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Following with great interest !

Planning a similar trip next winter from Vancouver
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #193
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Hopefully there is something helpful here. Feel free to shoot me any questions you may have.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #194
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Love riding in Mexico...can't wait to go again!! Thanks for taking us along and enjoy your vacation in your vacation!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #195
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I've done the wet shirt in Alberta and the Baja, and it was very pleasant in both. I didn't think it would make any difference what temperature the water was that you dunk it in......it very quickly equilibrates to some combination of your body and ambient temperature. I would say just use any temperature you like.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote