User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #31456
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
I got in 32 miles yesterday. Perfect riding weather. My KM is way down this month, life getting in the way and more rain. 420km

I LOVE the Clement tires, they ride great and handle good in gravel and rain. They are wearing great too.

I FINALLY made it down to 169lbs this morning

Taking the vstrom to the mountains tomorrow.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #31457
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
I wanted a challenge and I got one. I rode my Trek XO1 Single Speed with a 39/16 gear on a 100k full of short steep climbs. 59 miles, 4,400 vert. feet, and 3h45' later, I was wolfing down a blueberry fry pie with ice cream.

I can't wait until tomorrow to see how my legs feel at the mx track. They'll probably fold like a cheap lawn chair under Rosie O"Donnel on the 1st jump.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #31458
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post

Congrats on the weight loss, it can be a long rough road but worth it in the end.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #31459
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I wanted a challenge and I got one. I rode my Trek XO1 Single Speed with a 39/16 gear on a 100k full of short steep climbs. 59 miles, 4,400 vert. feet, and 3h45' later, I was wolfing down a blueberry fry pie with ice cream.

I can't wait until tomorrow to see how my legs feel at the mx track. They'll probably fold like a cheap lawn chair under Rosie O"Donnel on the 1st jump.

Nicely done. You're an ironman.

How was the gearing, spot on?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #31460
Sagi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Love Cycling, unfortunately have become a bit lazy in the last month and don't get to more than maybe 50km a week and far from every week at the moment

Here's my do it all bike a Surly Troll I built up 2 years ago

As I don't do any mountain biking at the moment I replaced the suspension fork with a ridgid one and mounted some mudguards
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #31461
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Welcome to advrider
Nice bike and your country is beautiful
though i have only seen it through pics
fz6kd7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #31462
Sagi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
It is, I came to Ireland from last year, I'm originally from Austria

The small country roads here are very nice for cycling and motorcycling, somehow terrible with the car, too narrow and you can never see what's round the corner due to bushes and/or walls, but well I don't have a car....
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #31463
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I got in 32 miles yesterday. Perfect riding weather. My KM is way down this month, life getting in the way and more rain. 420km

I LOVE the Clement tires, they ride great and handle good in gravel and rain. They are wearing great too.

A big +1 on the Clement tires. 3 of my 4 bikes wear Clement rubber with the dedicated CX rig swapping the LAS file treads for Kenda Slant Sixes in the wet winter months. When the Kendas get used up, I'll be replacing them with some MXPs.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #31464
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Put in another 28 against my better judgement. Bottom bracket creaking, snapping and popping now. FSA... Fucking Special Accessories.
Have you tried removing the left pedal, clean up the thread on both surfaces - pedal and bottom bracket, re-install and torque to spec?

What FSA crank are you running? SL-K?

Can't remember if you mentioned it earlier.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #31465
hyperfocal
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My Trek 1x9...
hyperfocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #31466
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
A big +1 on the Clement tires. 3 of my 4 bikes wear Clement rubber with the dedicated CX rig swapping the LAS file treads for Kenda Slant Sixes in the wet winter months. When the Kendas get used up, I'll be replacing them with some MXPs.
Its funny that Clement has come out of the woodwork. I used Clement back in the days of silk sewups, they were the /only/ tire as far as I was concerned. Sewup prices went to the moon after they had a big fire in their factory in the 70s, and I ended up switching to clinchers, first the Michelin Elan, then later 700c. Nada peep of that name for 30 years. Apparently Pirelli bought them back in the 80s, and they rapidly sank into obscurity, until an American firm, Donnelly Sports, bought them in 2010 and revived the brand, making the tires in Thailand. The only "Donnelly Sports" I can find anything about is a team uniform reseller, doesn't seem to be any connection.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #31467
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Have you tried removing the left pedal, clean up the thread on both surfaces - pedal and bottom bracket, re-install and torque to spec?

What FSA crank are you running? SL-K?

Can't remember if you mentioned it earlier.
Yes, SL-K light.

I have had a shop pull it apart and then I did it myself just yesterday morning. I bought the tools to remove the bottom bracket cups and the crank arm is self extracting. The noise sounds like the cups are loose in the frame but I can assure they are not. It took every ounce of arse I had to remove them. The shop threw them back in with Loctite but I cleaned all that up and reinstalled with grease. I swapped pedals early on to make sure it wasn't the pedals, which do have a small amount of play in them. (Look Keo Max with about 600 miles on them). It's not the pedals. It has to be in the bearings.

I have the Dura Ace chainset and the bottom bracket and new chain sitting in the shop awaiting install. If you want the SL-K crank let me know. I am getting a return shipping authorization from FSA for the bottom bracket cups and mailing them back to FSA along with 30 lbs of gravel.

The chainset is compact. I guess if the hollow spindle is coming loose from the crankarm that could be the creaking and popping.

I was considering upgrading the Merckx to an ultra torque chainset but I think I'll leave the square taper bottom bracket installed. Using a wave washer as a means to set preload seems pikey to me. But maybe that's just me.

Post some more photos of your rides, Inyang. We've been waiting.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #31468
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Its funny that Clement has come out of the woodwork. I used Clement back in the days of silk sewups, they were the /only/ tire as far as I was concerned. Sewup prices went to the moon after they had a big fire in their factory in the 70s, and I ended up switching to clinchers, first the Michelin Elan, then later 700c. Nada peep of that name for 30 years. Apparently Pirelli bought them back in the 80s, and they rapidly sank into obscurity, until an American firm, Donnelly Sports, bought them in 2010 and revived the brand, making the tires in Thailand. The only "Donnelly Sports" I can find anything about is a team uniform reseller, doesn't seem to be any connection.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #31469
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
an american company selling thailand tires with italian branding. brilliant.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #31470
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfocal View Post
My Trek 1x9...
2X2 Cycles rack? I really want one for my V-Strom. It just irks me having to drive a car to a bike ride.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: