User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
DrKayak OP
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 712
2013 Beta Evo clutch performance

Looking for input on making the clutch smoother on the Evo 250. I'm running the same oil I ran in my Techno and Rev3 in the Evo. I just don't like the clutch as well as the older Betas. I also get some clutch drag with the clutch lever all the way in when the bike is hot which drags down the idle speed. On the good side, the clutch never grabs when you first drop in in gear cold like the old Betas did.

Is this lack of skill, is the Evo more advanced or just the nature of the bike? Did the older Betas just have better clutches?

I pulled the clutch cover looking for the adjustments documented for the Evo 300 and my clutch spring washers are not the "top hat" style, so they can not be flipped to change the tension. Pervious owner said he put the Simplex clutch in it.. Guess he did not like the stock plates...

Thinking of going to ATF. I trail ride it too with the long range seat and worry the gear box would see less wear with good oil over ATF..

Thanks for any opinions...
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Well, Gordy just did the clutch mod on his today. We`ll be out tomorrow and let you know how it works!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Rode Gordy`s 300 today. Did not notice any drag. It was very quick on release though. Forgot to ask what oil he is using. He does have the upgrade factory slave cylinder. Seemed very smooth.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
ATF is good oil! Use type F and set the oil level at 420cc Which is right at the bottom of the sight glass. If you haven't done it yet do the beta clutch mod found pinned in the beta forum at trials central.com.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,576
I did most of the mod that is on Trials Central.

I polished and rounded the tabs on the friction disks, filed the grooves clean on the friction pads and generally cleaned them up. I understand that glue can get embedded into the friction surface and this can cause some drag but don't know about that. I suppose if you really want to do it right, you would get some new disks and modify them before you ever used them.

We are using this oil and it has helped a lot.

I can find neutral with the engine running and the click into first is pretty smooth.
I am sure that my clutch is not perfect but at my skill level, it works just fine for me.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 832
I rode Ron Lee's sparkly new Beta Factory 300 at the Peru, KS 2-day. Nice bike. I liked the clutch. A Beta rider who rode it next asked him about it. Ron said it was something changed and new. I quipped, "It feels more like a GasGas clutch." Whatever those changes were they work. Don't ask me about them because I don't know, but poke around. Someone savvy with Beta might know what they are.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Ron must have stole one of the factory clutches while working in the pits at the world round. It is not even close to what is in the common evo!!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Ron must have stole one of the factory clutches while working in the pits at the world round. It is not even close to what is in the common evo!!
Mine supposedly has the "factory clutch" from the BYOB program, but I have no idea what that is.

Curtis says it is just something that they put on your creidit card.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
This what comes in the GasGas BYOB program.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Mine supposedly has the "factory clutch" from the BYOB program, but I have no idea what that is.

Curtis says it is just something that they put on your creidit card.
Dabill and Fajardo had a new clutch design at the world rounds. Something about sliding on pins and black magic. Ron was wrenching, weather he has this setup only he would know.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
DrKayak OP
Retro Rider

Thanks for the input. I'm likely running my oil level too high. Will try reducing it some. It came with ATF and I would switch off between the Techno with oil and the Evo with ATF and could not see any difference. Then put oil in the Evo and same deal, no big difference.

I can go in and out of neutral easy when it's cold. Not so, once it's hot. "very quick on release though" as lineaway said sounds like mine. Not unrideable but can't say I love the clutch.

Will get to work on making it better.

Try to talk to guys is the club and the #1 answer is... "I would have never bought a Beta anyway..."

Looks like the 250 does not have the adjustments the 300 has in the below doc.

http://www.americanbeta.com/sites/de...20set%20up.pdf
04 FZ1
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Gordy
Team Listo

The upgraded BYOB clutch that I got with mine has billet parts and race steel plates (for whatever that's worth).
I see where they also have available Surflex friction plates.
I may try some of those with some of the adjustments in the PDF that DrK linked at some point down the road. I can't leave well enough alone.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Bunch of newbies talkin` in your club. The Beta has always been a quality ride. Many an old rider in CA die hard B guys. Go back through the years in the nationals and Beta is still close to top dog. Just have not had any pro riders during the Como years. So Cody is on a lemon? Ha! Ha! By the way Cody rode his first national on a Beta.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
DrKayak OP
Retro Rider

The pervious owner said he put the Surflex friction plates in mine. Still think is was not dragging when warm when I first got it..

A beater, never washed, GasGas is the bike of choice for the local young guns. We have one old and wise rider that loves the Betas.
04 FZ1
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
The pervious owner said he put the Surflex friction plates in mine. Still think is was not dragging when warm when I first got it..

A beater, never washed, GasGas is the bike of choice for the local young guns. We have one old and wise rider that loves the Betas.
And he is an old friend of mine.