User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
MacAttack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
2010 Gasgas 300 model differences.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the 2010 race and the 2010 raga?
Thanks
MacAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,079
Suspension, carb,head and exhaust is all I can remember. Maybe swing arm also.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQX55DoZGHI
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
See my top-end swap thread and other details about model differences. Basically from 2010 to present most changes are relatively minor or cosmetic, with great setup and maintenance adding a lot of value to any bike relative to newer and higher models.

An experienced rider with a new 2013 Replica rode my redone 2011 Raga. When I asked what he thought he said, "It feels just like my bike."

One of the biggest changes was in 2009 Raga and 2010 all other in the shock linkage. The newer models are more plush feeling on the rear end. The previous models were firmer feeling and a bit more planted. I just rode a Beta Factory 300. Nice bike. The rear end felt more firm and planted (a bit more laterally stable) like my 2008, but it also less plush than the new linkage GasGas with the Reiger.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
The 2010 Race was the one year it was higher spec than the Raga!
They both had the new wider frame, mag cases and all the goodies, but the RACE came with a Ohlins rear shock, while the Raga had a Sachs. The next year, they switched to Reiger shocks and the Raga has the higher spec shock with adj reb/comp damping.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
MacAttack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks for the info guys.
Love the forums
MacAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
The 2010 Race was the one year it was higher spec than the Raga!
They both had the new wider frame, mag cases and all the goodies, but the RACE came with a Ohlins rear shock, while the Raga had a Sachs. The next year, they switched to Reiger shocks and the Raga has the higher spec shock with adj reb/comp damping.
That is correct, but it was not the basic Sachs. The race had the Del orto flat slide, VS the Kehin carb and I believe the Raga had the Mag swing arm. Besides the new exhaust on the Raga, not to mention the color scheme on the race looked like the plain jane bikes. Race was good, but it still was not a Raga.
So Lazer, what number is the first Raga 300 sold to the public?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=769
I`d bet it`s my son`s bike!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
That is correct, but it was not the basic Sachs. The race had the Del orto flat slide, VS the Kehin carb and I believe the Raga had the Mag swing arm. Besides the new exhaust on the Raga, not to mention the color scheme on the race looked like the plain jane bikes. Race was good, but it still was not a Raga.
So Lazer, what number is the first Raga 300 sold to the public?
LA - I Dont know many who would take a Sachs over the Ohlins - especially the pretty gold bodied Ohlins that came on the 10 race bikes I saw. I know the price of the Ohlins is a couple hundred over the Sachs if you go buy one - so spec wise its on top in my book. I cant remember if the Ohlins was the official spec or not - but is what shipped. Also had Wavy rotors that I dont believe were on the spec sheet. I forget. I just remember being pleasantly suprised.

2010 Race & Raga bikes had Keihins and all had AL swingarms. (Spec anyway) You got a VHST? Thats wierd - even for GG.

Both bikes had Ti exhaust (even the std 10 had the ti header) The race had the old -oval AL silencer and midbox still and the Raga had the new high flow mid box and plastic tipped silencer - so thats an upgrade I overlooked. I will say that not everyone thought so that year as the tips melted and caps split apart if you sat on them. (strengthened now).

Looks are subjective. I know two regular raga riders who switched to the Race cause they hated the gold frame on the raga. I thought the Race was alot better looking myself. I like the red framed bikes best. (Yet I own a black frame bike...) In person, the gold pin-striping on the red paint looked really good too.

All I know is I remember standing there looking at the new Ragas and comparing it to the race and scratching my head. I never try and use logic when it comes to GG marketing. The whole Race / Raga deal is confusing - not to mention the Raga mid year thing.

The 1st Ragas were officially 2005's if that's what you mean by numbers. As I recall, they only made 300 of them. Had the ducati "programmable" ignition that I never liked. (PITA Prom Burner setup)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I agree the gold was ugly. It was a funny combination of parts. As we have seen thru the years, the Spanish sometimes just grab what is available. Econo Raga`s who would have thought it !?!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I agree the gold was ugly. It was a funny combination of parts. As we have seen thru the years, the Spanish sometimes just grab what is available. Econo Raga`s who would have thought it !?!
Gold was different, I hated black frames and black out weighing the red on color schemes.

the 08 Raga, and the 09 normal bikes, were the best looking gg's in a long time.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Gold was different, I hated black frames and black out weighing the red on color schemes.

the 08 Raga, and the 09 normal bikes, were the best looking gg's in a long time.
I just painted my black frame red A bit odd having the red anodized triple clamps instead of silver, but the red put the yummy back. I had the option of white to appear up to date with Replicas.

A black frame didn't hurt you in Peru, Sting. A mental melt down in section 3 on Sunday cost me 6 points and ensured I'd not finish right behind you - and Justin - again. Felt good to clean the last loop but by then it was too late for me and 5th was my lot in life. Odd to finish a trial with 9 points and get 5th! You guys were hot!

Earlier I implied not much difference in models so why buy new or newer. But not everyone is a nut like me and takes the time and expense to completely rebuild a 2-years-old bike to make it work and feel like new.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post

I always liked the 08 raga as well. Striking change from black frame 2007 (last year of the Mg swingarm Ragas - although the 2008 125 racing still had them)

I bought my 09 std bike pretty much on looks - that and got a good deal from a friend on a mint used one. So sold my 08. The 09 did turn alittle better with the round tube frame. at least thats what I convinced myself to think....Neither of these bikes holds a candle to my 11 raga though. It an amazing bike - super suspension and incredible motor. 280 is snappy, yet runs smooth down low.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
I always liked the 08 raga as well. Striking change from black frame 2007 (last year of the Mg swingarm Ragas - although the 2008 125 racing still had them)

I bought my 09 std bike pretty much on looks - that and got a good deal from a friend on a mint used one. So sold my 08. The 09 did turn alittle better with the round tube frame. at least thats what I convinced myself to think....Neither of these bikes holds a candle to my 11 raga though. It an amazing bike - super suspension and incredible motor. 280 is snappy, yet runs smooth down low.
My brain, after a 2-day event, is beginning to digest the `11 300 and is finding it superior to the previous ride - thankfully.

My riding style of deeper throttle pulses and more rev-up is perhaps better suited to the 280. One thing I'll say for a 300 though. The extra torque does make it easier to get up on stuff without more revs. BUT a little voice from the creature on the left shoulder keeps saying, "You know you REALLY liked the 280 top end...." "Aw, shut up!" I'll say.

Certainly the Marzocchi and Reiger combo with the newer linkage ratio is amazingly plush... and way yummy.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
My brain, after a 2-day event, is beginning to digest the `11 300 and is finding it superior to the previous ride - thankfully.

My riding style of deeper throttle pulses and more rev-up is perhaps better suited to the 280. One thing I'll say for a 300 though. The extra torque does make it easier to get up on stuff without more revs. BUT a little voice from the creature on the left shoulder keeps saying, "You know you REALLY liked the 280 top end...." "Aw, shut up!" I'll say.

Certainly the Marzocchi and Reiger combo with the newer linkage ratio is amazingly plush... and way yummy.
I loved my 11, almost hate to see it go (would sell it, might list it in future).

I love my 12 just a little more though. But I guess I am just a fanboy :P
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote