ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #19936
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
plus this bike does actually vibrate more than many other bikes.
I have read that a couple First Edition SA Teneres were replaced by Yamaha due to excessive vibration. Have you had a chance to ride another S10 for the sake of comparison?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #19937
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 463
I did ride one that had 4000 miles on the clock before I bought the current one and I thought that one vibrated a lot too, maybe I should have looked for something else already then, silly or what :-?
Will give it some time and get risers & foam grips but considering to test ride other bikes soon :-( will be plenty of farkles for sale one day.....
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #19938
Podman
Rocketman
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Oddometer: 246
Dallara

Man I wish I could write like you
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #19939
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
I did ride one that had 4000 miles on the clock before I bought the current one and I thought that one vibrated a lot too, maybe I should have looked for something else already then, silly or what :-?
Will give it some time and get risers & foam grips but considering to test ride other bikes soon :-( will be plenty of farkles for sale one day.....
Strange that your ECUnleashed dealer would say that the flash didn't tone down vibes as a number of owners have reported that the bike got smoother. It would be nice if you could try some S10s with more mileage, no other owners in your area?

If I was shopping for another bike down under, I would give the Honda Crosstourer a good look....
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #19940
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In Transit
Oddometer: 5,572
Red Dust-

Is there any chance that the throttle bodies were balanced incorrectly? Might be worth getting that checked again. Remember that the idiots working at a dealership are idiots. I know mine vibrated like a harley before I balanced the throttle bodies.
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #19941
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 463
Yes there are quite a few in the area, maybe chase one down and take it for a spin...
If the new DL1000 would have existed before I bought the ST.... :-?
Somehow I do not think the Honda Cross Tourer will go to the places I have been taking the ST to, the ST absolutely rocks on really bad roads such as forest tracks and mud and I`m not a Honda man :-I
Having said that I took my old DL650 to places where my mate on his GSA took his bike to and even with his great suspension and ground clearance I could keep up felt sorry for my bike though since the suspension bottomed out multiple times and my bash plats took lot of hits, on the ST I got a massive 11 pound frame mounted plate that will take on big rocks.
I`m pretty sure my ST will be in my ownership for quite some time still, she is still beloved and the hopes are still there for a long companionship :-)
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #19942
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 463
Might take it to a different mechanic which I know is really good and balance the throttle bodies, could synthetic oil make a difference compared to mineral oil in this matter? Did I mention this forum is great!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #19943
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Yes there are quite a few in the area, maybe chase one down and take it for a spin...
If the new DL1000 would have existed before I bought the ST.... :-?
Somehow I do not think the Honda Cross Tourer will go to the places I have been taking the ST to, the ST absolutely rocks on really bad roads such as forest tracks and mud and I`m not a Honda man :-I
Having said that I took my old DL650 to places where my mate on his GSA took his bike to and even with his great suspension and ground clearance I could keep up felt sorry for my bike though since the suspension bottomed out multiple times and my bash plats took lot of hits, on the ST I got a massive 11 pound frame mounted plate that will take on big rocks.
I`m pretty sure my ST will be in my ownership for quite some time still, she is still beloved and the hopes are still there for a long companionship :-)
I think that any of the bikes in this class will go as far as their owners are capable of pushing them. But in any case, if I were in your shoes I would try to get some test rides on the other S10s in your area and then have your dealer check your bike if it did have excessive vibes compared to the others.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #19944
japako
Studly Adventurer
 
japako's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
I had horrible vibration problems when I first purchased my bike. It was putting my hands and feet to sleep. I honestly was concerned about nerve damage because it would take my hands a day or two to recover after an extended ride. I raised hell with the selling dealership and with Yamaha customer service and was told that there was nothing they could do. Quite often I was told here, "My bike doesn't do that, it must be in your head". In short, I know what you are going through.

You mention in your post your upcoming 6000 mile service. You would think that at this point your bike would be broken in but mine wasn't. I currently have about 17,000 miles on mine and I swear it gets a little smoother all the time. The tingling and numb hands are now a thing of the past. If I could offer two bits of advice. The first would be to ride your bike and ride it hard. Obviously don't abuse it but DO NOT baby it. I purposely shifted higher in the rev range to force the motor to break in. I also took it to the twisties near here where you tend to rev it higher and have constant rpm changes. It helped a lot. In fact, I noticed a marked improvement after a certain weekend chasing my buddies all over the mountains. Secondly, buy yourself a pair of Grip Puppies. I paid about $10 American but they are worth ten times that in terms of comfort.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1zgyt9fd96_b

I hope this works for you. I know how frustrating it can be.

Plus 100 on this. I used the Rox anti vibe risers and grip puppies.
It did take some time, but after I had some miles on it the vibes seemed to go away and it became a really great bike. I also had Gen 1 flash.

Use the risers and grip puppies, you will notice a difference.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #19945
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Plus 100 on this. I used the Rox anti vibe risers and grip puppies.
It did take some time, but after I had some miles on it the vibes seemed to go away and it became a really great bike. I also had Gen 1 flash.

Use the risers and grip puppies, you will notice a difference.
... and a Cramp Buster on the throttle. I get vibes on long straight bits and it just allows me to relax the grip enough to stop the vibes getting through. When I get into town I simply turn it around out of the way.



I still get vibes on mine after 28k miles. Although the state of tune does make a big difference. I have O2 optimsiders fitted along with my PCV.
They induced so much vibration at mid range when cruising that I could not ride the bike. I disconnected them and the bike was perfectly useable.
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #19946
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,330
I really never think about the throttle or fueling program until I read this thread.

That said, I'll probably do this ECU thing sometime next year.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #19947
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Strange that your ECUnleashed dealer would say that the flash didn't tone down vibes as a number of owners have reported that the bike got smoother. It would be nice if you could try some S10s with more mileage, no other owners in your area?

If I was shopping for another bike down under, I would give the Honda Crosstourer a good look....
Smart dealer, as soon as you say something like that the customer will expect miracle results.
Then you did the reflash wrong and it's not as smooth as 'promised'. Next you owe them a new bike.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #19948
Jim Rowley
Rise above
 
Jim Rowley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Black Forest, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,512
Could out of synch throttle bodies cause the vibration?
__________________
Jim Rowley
Black Forest, CO
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #19949
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Red Dust-

Is there any chance that the throttle bodies were balanced incorrectly? Might be worth getting that checked again. Remember that the idiots working at a dealership are idiots. I know mine vibrated like a harley before I balanced the throttle bodies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Might take it to a different mechanic which I know is really good and balance the throttle bodies, could synthetic oil make a difference compared to mineral oil in this matter? Did I mention this forum is great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
I really never think about the throttle or fueling program until I read this thread.

That said, I'll probably do this ECU thing sometime next year.
Hey Jim, I guess it's better to be late to the party than not show up at all.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #19950
Jim Rowley
Rise above
 
Jim Rowley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Black Forest, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Hey Jim, I guess it's better to be late to the party than not show up at all.
Ooops. I only have internet access at work. Shhhhh... I usually have 3-5 pages to catch up if I have time.
__________________
Jim Rowley
Black Forest, CO
Jim Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015