Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #181
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 171
yup a broken terminal connection, shorted plates, etc, etc, that plus on many newer vehicles you can't just bypass the battery. i have only had it on a car battery that was a few months old, it was as simple as disconnecting the battery, taping the positive so it didn't short, then a little push start and a quick drive to the store to get a new one.

towing service and a satellite phone
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #182
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
do you happen to have a link or part number for your jump box? i may be interested in picking one up
Antigravity Batteries has a jump box that will start any two-wheeler or Toyota Tundra. It's 5x3x1 and weighs 12 oz. It includes a 5v USB outlet to charge your phone or tablet in the boonies too. Cool stuff.

Of course if you ride a Vespa none of that matters because they have a kick start and magic button.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #183
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
It's safe to say that in our neck of the woods you will not see an ADV sticker on your average scooter and surprisingly most of the scooter riders you describe shun the wave. I guess that's because most mc riders don't wave to them?
Ahem.

and everyone waves at me when I'm riding the scoot, more than when I'm on either of my bigger bikes.

Scoots just make more sense for round town riding. My DR650 is fun around town, the Tiger...not so much, but the scoot kicks ass around town.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #184
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Antigravity Batteries has a jump box that will start any two-wheeler or Toyota Tundra. It's 5x3x1 and weighs 12 oz. It includes a 5v USB outlet to charge your phone or tablet in the boonies too. Cool stuff.

Of course if you ride a Vespa none of that matters because they have a kick start and magic button.
Depends on your Vespa model - the ET 4 we used to have had a kick start but the GTS 250 doesn't. I don't think any of the fuel injected models have a kick, you need an older carb model if kick start is important to you.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #185
fzrspirit
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I came over to the Scooter Side.

Over ten years ago, I used to be one those guys who looked down on scooters. It was an ego thing. They weren't very popular at the time so I was able to trade an old beater sportbike for a nearly new 50cc Yamaha Zuma. My wife decided she wanted it and I thought it would test her to see if she wanted a motorcycle.

At the time I had a 600cc sportbike and a Honda Shadow 750 cruiser. My how things have changed since then!
We added a topbox to that Zuma and she loved it so much she that didn't want to upgrade. After the cops finally realized it was legal to drive a 50cc without plates, I added a 70cc kit. I soon realized I wasn't riding my sportbike at all, and only took the cruiser on highway runs. The sportbike was sold and another scooter was added.

Now that I'm looking for another bike, guess what? I'm shopping for a scooter (250cc-ish). Then a top box and hello grocery store!
fzrspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #186
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrspirit View Post
Over ten years ago, I used to be one those guys who looked down on scooters. It was an ego thing. They weren't very popular at the time so I was able to trade an old beater sportbike for a nearly new 50cc Yamaha Zuma. My wife decided she wanted it and I thought it would test her to see if she wanted a motorcycle.

At the time I had a 600cc sportbike and a Honda Shadow 750 cruiser. My how things have changed since then!
We added a topbox to that Zuma and she loved it so much she that didn't want to upgrade. After the cops finally realized it was legal to drive a 50cc without plates, I added a 70cc kit. I soon realized I wasn't riding my sportbike at all, and only took the cruiser on highway runs. The sportbike was sold and another scooter was added.

Now that I'm looking for another bike, guess what? I'm shopping for a scooter (250cc-ish). Then a top box and hello grocery store!
Right on!
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #187
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
You young bucks that look down your nose at scooterists I hope you have the genes, the brains, and the luck to live long enough to make it to the place where you have not a care what other people think of your rides.

The last eight years I have had a scooter, Cub, or Passport in the corner of the garage. I ride it about 500 to 1000 miles a year. It's not much of the 20 to 30K a year I ride on two wheels but the trips are short and the numbers just don't add up although I try to ride it once a week like the other bikes. Most of it comes in trips to the hardware or grocery store where I just don't want to get one of the motorcycles out and gear up. Once in a while I ride it 75 to 150 miles on a mini adventure tour. I plan the roads and time so I am not holding up traffic and putting myself at unreasonable risk. I have to drive a fleet car in my job so motorcycle miles are always recreational miles.

Ever since the first ride on a Briggs and Stratton minibike as a teenager the movement and freedom of riding brings a smile to my face. I don't have to be setting out on a 3000 mile trip or doing 140 mph although those things are really fun too, just other facets of riding. Just being on two wheels is fun.

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote