Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Great article in current issue of Motorcyclist. They ran a bit of a lottery and half a dozen or so lucky bastards got to join some of the crew on an Alps tour with Edelweiss. Fun writeup - bit of insight into Edelweiss. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...lps_adventure/
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I was one of those lucky bastards on the Motorcyclist trip. I'm in the RED aerostich. Edelweiss was great. They rode fast enough that the Motorcyclist staffers had a hard time keeping up. The accommodations were good, but not great when it comes to rooms, but we were only in them to sleep/shower so really didn't matter. Food/resturants were always little family owned places with great food! Not having to schlept your luggage was awesome, especially when you're swapping biked 2-3 times a day. Our tour was somewhat unique in that there were not any "sightseeing" stops or down days. Just 7-9 hours of riding every day. We paid $3000 per person for 5 days of riding, and 6 nights of hotel.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #18
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,534
This is pertinent to my interests, as my euro-touring will be limited to packages for the forseeable future after the end of the year. Keep the info flowing, it's great to know.

FWIW, eight days in the Alps (plus one in the Eifel) with my own bike, etc cost about 100€ per day between fuel (65mpg), lodging, food, and souveniers. Throw in the cost of bike rental and insurance (1.5 - 2K€ depending on bike), and you are at 3K€ in a hurry, without paying for a guide. So in reality, the "expense" of the tours is not so ridiculous. That and you are pretty much breakdown-proof with a tour, instead of waiting for the ADAC to show up and missing mileage.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,245
oh I dunno....
100 euro a day for expenses sounds about right...
a bike can be had for around that too, so you're at 200 / day. 10 days, 2 grand, just throw in airfare & done.
Riding around Europe isn't all that big a deal (my opinion) I think the idea that a tour company is like a vacation, and doing it yourself is an adventure is about right... personally I like adventures

My rule of thumb: I can do whatever the tour company is offering for about half what they are charging...

But, as always, your mileage may differ.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote