Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #1786
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself for allowing someone in a checkered shirt in your photo.....
Will consider myself told off was too busy concentrating on trying to get the sign but people standing in the way

..... I don't now they still allowed checkered shirts in public
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #1787
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
those are very nice bricks indeed !

hey I thought you Kiwis were more reserved and polite than your neighbors - you know, like Canadians are vs. 'Mericuns .... he he.

you sound like a bloody AUSSIE !!!!

Some are reserved and even polite but I missed those classes, I attended pervy school .... possibly run by the Ozzies
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #1788
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Now, there's a compliment!

ya reckon, gonna get em banned for gettin real personal bein a bastid
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #1789
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
A compliment to Ausies.
Yeap now ya talking.

So seriously, today more reports coming, Maya getting new back tyre fitted ..... after 21200km on the rear and I am throwing new wheel bearings in there as well so we have a full fresh back end.

Writing and catch up day with no moto .... stay tuned
Old 10-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #1790
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
compliment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
A compliment to Ausies.

used to live in Vancouver, BC .... which even has an ANZA club

lots and lots of fun .... all around
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #1791
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Parque Del Nevado - Palm Wax Trees

Just up the valley from Salento world records are set.

Residing up there are the tallest wax palms called Palmera - the national tree in Colombia (Ceroxylon quindiuense is their official name in Google), they are the tallest in the world.

While based at Salento we took the opportunity to take in the park and see these monsters first hand, we did the park over two days not being sure of there was a loop or not.

The scenery was spectacular to say the least with starting from farm paddocks then into native bush / rain forest.

The small river was the same as anything we would find in New Zealand and some very cool dodgy swing bridges.

Ellen placing her feet carefully

And some dodgy non swing bridges

The last crossing at the top, the wire saved my arse from gettin wet, click on the image to watch the vid.

This is where we were

First day up was up to the top but we only went as far as the “paid entry” as we didn’t have any money, we talked to some others as well and they said we didn’t miss much .... so we felt better about that.

Returning back to the bottom we geared up and headed up to the end of the valley which on the maps and according t how far you can ride was 11 km however within about 2 km there was a big set of gnarly gates which there was no way through, there was a nice wee ford though to wash Maya.

This is how they take the horses up, tie em to a moto and take em for a walk

The following day we did the big loop track which took us to great heights and epic views of the valley and right through the middle of the big fellas.

They are actually a very hard wood so would make an incredibly good structural component to a building b u t you are not allowed to touch them and rightfully so.

One of the big fellas that had laid down

At the top we enjoyed view of spectacular volcanos

Back in Salento we joined Raul and Elida for tea which was nice chatting about travel and bikes (pictured in previous thread).

Great place to go to and stunning scenery.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 04:08 PM
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #1792
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #1793
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Salento To Murillo To Libano

After taking in Salento and thoroughly enjoying ourselves it was time to tackle the Murillo road.

Leaving Salento and getting around the big bad sheep unscathed we made our way back up toward Manizales just skimming the edge of town before heading up the road to 4234 meters above stress level.

Mum nature played well sporting us a pretty good day giving us a combo of fog, wind and sun so varying our views.

It got very cold at one point in the fog as it was propelled over us at probably 40 km hour side wind ...... chilly

Taking in our surroundings we broke through the fog line into the sunny stuff .... WOHHOH .

These trees or plants are called Frailejon and grow 25 mm per year so these guys would be 140 years old

Here we are in Gods back yard looking down on the fog and cloud, there is some big ground up there

While making a wrong turn we spotted the top ... .always a bonus, the full glory of the 5321 meter high peak was unwrapped for around a minute before mum nature closed the window on us.

We stopped at one point to get off Maya and do a 360 stand and view, to easy to enjoy the road and riding too much and forget about where you are, I know it is not work and t e c h n i c a l l y we haven’t got much to do but those days although extremely beautiful and slightly challenging you actually have to take your time, take it in, photo it for your fading memory and just be there, this being the most important!!

The road itself was easy as it was mostly dry, a few puddles and creeks but nothing bad, I could see in inclement weather how this could change dramatically.

We crossed the famous slip area which took out an entire village of Armero in which 25000 people, our friends in Bogota having personal friends and family who were lost to the tragedy.

Picture time for the alien

The rest of the road is great condition with a few lumpy parts with rock right down to almost to civilization at Murillo but there is one very strange patch of beautiful tarmac road just a couple of km out which was a real surprise .... then straight back to lumps again.

Arriving at Murillo we had a late lunch at 2.30 pm, the original plan we to stay the night but they wanted bigger money than usual and had no wifi etc so I think that was a case of crosshairs on the whiteyfoo, a subcommittee was formed and a discussion group appointed then the descision was made to hit Libano 45 minutes away which turned out to be a far better choice, street tucker supreme.

But in Murillo, interest was stirred again

In Libano main square we pulled in and stopped, just along from us an XT660 with a very proud owner in a pink shirt making himself known to us which was cool, un momento ... he rang some buddies and said come check our this alien (we are getting used to this now) and el pronto some more moto dudes turned up on various bikes.

Big discussions, lots of photos and smiles, the one thing I love about Colombia is they love their bikes and love even more something that they either don’t see or see vary rarely so it is special for us to be treated with such interest as it makes our day as much as theirs and I know with our smiles and interaction with them it makes life better.

That evening we saw one of the moto riders in the supermarket and he eagerly pointed out to his chickie and amigos that these are the guys on that bike, pretty cool really.

If you get a chance to do this road it is one of the must-do's of Colombia.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #1794
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
used to live in Vancouver, BC .... which even has an ANZA club

lots and lots of fun .... all around
Arh ha ... busted
Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #1795
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 761
hello

Really great to finally meet the TMK in person! Thanks for the pics today. Great ride to Villa de Leyva and we avoided that huge black rain cloud until the last 5 km.
Hope to see you on the 14???

Cheers

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1796
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Really great to finally meet the TMK in person! Thanks for the pics today. Great ride to Villa de Leyva and we avoided that huge black rain cloud until the last 5 km.
Hope to see you on the 14???

Cheers

Sara
Heya Sara

Thanks for confirming we aren't just photoshopped cardboard cutouts

Welcome on the pics, the GS's alway nice in pics

Raining now in Bogota, doing some more writing, gotta catch up on my birthday, 4x4 and the boys day out on the bikes ...... work work work

Love to you both, see you on the 14th
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #1797
UltiJayne
Sister on a KLR

Oddometer: 74
Cool2 Manizales

Hey guys,

I just got to Manizales, so catching up to you! Have a great pic of how much bigger our sticker is beside your one at the KTM dealership in Medellin, but it's on Phil's camera so you'll have to wait for it.

See you soooon!

2007 Yamaha YBR125 with L plates! (UK)
2006 KLR650 (Canada)
UltiJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #1798
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltiJayne View Post
Hey guys,

I just got to Manizales, so catching up to you! Have a great pic of how much bigger our sticker is beside your one at the KTM dealership in Medellin, but it's on Phil's camera so you'll have to wait for it.

See you soooon!
Sorry chic ours was there FIRST, we are officially the first sticker on there sticker counter front.

Yet again another world first by TMK@KTM
Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #1799
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Libano To Bogota And My 22nd Birthday For The 25th Time

We left Libano for Bogota, city of 10 million people, not normally our gig but Salvador had given us some great local knowledge for roads to come over which was cool so it was a pretty neat day loaded with twisties.

Salvador and Paola had kindly offered us to stay with them in their apartment in downtown which was simply awesome, Maya had full undercover parking and it is as safe as houses.

We had a few things to do, get the new Heidenau, get out tablet replaced, try and get our debit cards sorted and have my birthday.

Add to that we were meeting Dan and Sara from www.worldwideride.ca, we had chatted over email prior leaving from New Zealand and we had passed them in Canada with big waves without realizing it was them in the rain, they arrived in Bogota the 25th with our new replacement filter .

We managed to get our tablet sorted and changed after some anger and international f-words which was clearly understood and we picked up the new tyre so mission accomplished there.

Being the 25th was my birthday Dan and Sara joined us for tea at a local seafood restaurant which was cool.

The six of us chatted, drank and ate the evening away, what a super birthday of new places, faces and food, a very international gathering of likeminded nuttas, on going to leave they shouted our tea which was spiffing, onya guys we are lucky people to have great and generous friends

Me, Sara and Ellen

Opposite side of the ring, Dan, Paola and Salvador

The only photo of the birthday cake .....truly lookin like a retard singing ... you are allowed to when you are old

Due to this being my birthday week which I was happy to drag as long as I possibly could the mission was set to go to the northern part of the city where there are clubs and bars galore, given Salvador is an interior designer having done very top end international work in Dubai etc he told us of a cool place, he understated that and took us to a the place that was five floors of bar, night club and seriously groovily finished.

Check out his work http://www.frieri.net/

This place rocked, starting of with a bottle aquadiente which lasted one round it was all on, we got bar platters of beautiful food and continued chatting, eating and drinking, check out the detail in the not so great photos that don't really do it justice.

A reminder which side of the stair to use, handy when you have bobbly boots from Scotch input

A 20 foot shipping container in the bar ... as ya do!!

Some locals with stylie hairdos

Three queens, Miss Bogota .... your choose

More Scotch, more shots, more smiles.

As the night grew so did the sounds progressively turning from cool local/english restaurant/bar music into full on international club sounds inducing much freestyle dancing and drunken grins, great night out for the oldies ... it was dark when we got home.

Sara and I making the most of the shadows so no one could see us dancing ...ahem scotchinducedfreestyle

This guy is just trouble

Now everyone says Bogota is just a big ugly city, although BIG cities are not totally my gig I disagree with ugly and maintain that pretty much no matter where you go you can make the most of it and enjoy it, you will always find the good side if you want it.

Guys, thanks that was the best 47th birthday I have ever had , truly was great celebration with grog, girls and guys.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #1800
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

4 x 4 Trip Bogota & Girag

Salvador and I have a lot in common, we both have 4 x 4 Toyotas set up well, we both have KTM 950, we both have a great other half and we both love Scotch ... just to name the important ones.

So Salvador knowing this organised some local hoods that he hangs with to come out and play on Saturday on a cool track to a hill range top.

Dan and Sara were here too so they were extended the invite and we shuffled between trucks during the day ...WOH HOH.

Arriving at the head of the track tires were let down and preps made before we hit the good stuff, Salvador drove the first 200 meter gnarly section then handed over the wheel to me and said go for it ..... what was a man to do.

Salvador negotiating the first bit and making easy work of it in a well set up truck.

Given my 4x4 history of competition trials and speed events there was a bit of pressure to get it right, in my mind I did OK cos he got his truck back in one piece, this is more than I can say for some of my acts of unprofessionalism in New Zealand.

This is my truck misbehaving

In action

Click on the pic to see our river crossing, we didn't do this to Salvadors truck

Check this out for cool territory

This is Salvadors sister doing her best to be a counterweight

I thought I would have a crack at doing a wheelie in Salvadors truck ... nearly got it

Arriving at the top we had pretty good views being at about 3300 meters, fog was hanging on the cliff side and a big rain wall hanging on the opposite ridge and we managed to sit in the middle dry and listen to the thunder clap and roll through the valleys.

A barbecue was pulled out of one of the back of a truck and a big beast was cooked up with beef, chicken, sausages and pork all on offer, at 3300 meters and cool enough this tickled the right sensors.

Heading back down Dan took the wheel and did a good job navigating Salvadors truck through various obstacles, the last part of the track I drove down to “the hole” then I handed back to Salvador.

It was a good size washout with guidance needed to make sure the truck wheels didn’t drop literally about 1.8 meters which would flip the truck over a and do some big damage.

Successfully navigating this goodbyes, handshake and hugs were had, what a great bunch the Colombians are, just like Kiwis in so many aspects.

This was the route we did.

Now the big mission, Salvador had been on the phone more than a dozen times to help get Dan and Sara bike out of Girag which is the local air freight company from Panama to Colombia.

Dan and Saras bikes were supposed to have been in on the Thursday and we had confirmation at 4pm on the Saturday driving home from the 4 x 4 trip so we diverted to the airport.

Even armed with Salvador, fluent in Spanish and local knowledge they tried to brush him off talking through a crack in the door, luckily Salvador had the number and name of a bigwig so things started to happen.

Even so it was a long drawn out process of excuses etc and finally they were reunited with their bikes at 8.30 pm Saturday night.

Now they had left their batteries connected for 5 months so there was big doubts as to their state, no fear at all.... Dans fired straight up with Saras needing a little encouragement but both bike under the steam of their own batteries, very impressive to say the least, they run the Deka Batteries http://www.dekabatteries.com/

Getting the bike home was great, Salvador being the great host had organised a boys ride on Sunday so Dan was able to join ..... that next.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 09:50 PM