Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Two-up the Bandit wins hands down. The Super Hawk is a cool v-twin, but for the riding you describe, the Bandit is the more comfortable choice. In the end though it is the one which you will enjoy the most, practicality is not the most important reason for most of us who ride. Good luck!!
Says the guy rocking a RC....

I have a Speed Triple now. I'd put it square in the middle of the Hawk and the Bandit, but with better handling / worse comfort than either.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,387
I recently looked at similar bikes to add a reasonable road bike to my garage at a economical price. I like Vee twins too and here's the results of my "testing". Bear in mind I'm 57, 5'9" 70 kgs and am an average rider.

Suzuki TLS: lots of power, fat, ugly and too cramped riding position for me, needs suspension work to actually handle. I liked the power but the riding position was too extreme for me.

Suzuki SV1000: Good power better riding position (can be a naked bike), simple suspension that needs work to get the best out of. Looks butt ugly to me. It was just another bike to me, no soul was stirred, would be a good track hack.

Suzuki GSX1200: Great motor, dobs of torque, again needs suspension work to handle reasonably (bit of a trend here), re-jet and exhaust and it comes to life but just another bike. I liked the riding position and the reasonable weight of the thing but again no soul was stirred.

Z1000 (06) Just for a comparison with the GSX, nowhere near as torquey, lots more like a 600 to ride (needs constant revs and gear changes) but I liked the size (smaller) and handling.... too expensive, bugger!

Honda VTR. I really wanted to like this bike, great motor, gearbox was ok, riding position ok but it felt like a barge, heavy, slow steering and I struggled to get it to turn when I wanted it to. Reliable (cam chain tensioners?) and thirsty with a great sound but too heavy for me. I want a 600 size frame with 1000 torque.

Honda 919 (Hornet).. dunno what you call them. 600 size upright bike with a lovely motor, handled better than the Z1000 but it needs a decent exhaust and felt a bit bland / boring. I fell asleep looking at it.

ZRX1100, Fuck yes, but mostly cause it was like the GS1000 I used to attempt to race. Great motor, lots of attitude and fun but a bit heavy, defiantely heavier than the rest of the bikes! I was grining from ear to ear!

I bought a Ducati 900ss (1995) and am now happily spending my days working on it rather than riding it!
My decision was based on getting the right combination of riding position, small / compact bike size, light weight and good torque output and the most important bit, the bike that puts the biggest smile on my face. However, I'm not suggesting the Ducati as your solution, you have to love the things to want to own one.

Have fun riding the bikes that appeal to you.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98 View Post
Says the guy rocking a RC....

I have a Speed Triple now. I'd put it square in the middle of the Hawk and the Bandit, but with better handling / worse comfort than either.
Yeah, the RC is a more dedicated ride, comfort was not in the design brief. It is in the Flea Market right now!!! Bottom line is, I got in a trade with the thought that it would be fun to ride sometimes. I just don't ride it enough though, mainly because it is just too ridiculously fast and I have very little self control. It really is a hard bike to ride slow. So I finally decided to put it up for sale. The KTM is plenty fast enough for my tastes and I can behave enough (usually) on it. The RC just begs to go-go-go.

I love Speed Triples by the way. One of my favorite bikes. When I bought my KTM I was so close to getting the 1050.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Yeah, the RC is a more dedicated ride, comfort was not in the design brief. It is in the Flea Market right now!!! Bottom line is, I got in a trade with the thought that it would be fun to ride sometimes. I just don't ride it enough though, mainly because it is just too ridiculously fast and I have very little self control. It really is a hard bike to ride slow. So I finally decided to put it up for sale. The KTM is plenty fast enough for my tastes and I can behave enough (usually) on it. The RC just begs to go-go-go.

I love Speed Triples by the way. One of my favorite bikes. When I bought my KTM I was so close to getting the 1050.
I'm trying a 950SM on for size next. It was between that and the S3. I love twins.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Benduro OP
I<3CrayCrayVaJayJay

Oddometer: 1,307
You guys are awesome. The Bandit it is.
Now I just have to hope it's still there when I get home from this oilfield in 2.5 weeks!

The 950sm is also very high on my list (want to try a super duke as well some day). Came close to buying one here, but it had a plasti-welded tank that still kind of leaked, and when you went back to the owner's previous posts in his history, he'd been basically pulling his hair out for the 6 months he had owned it, with carb issues.

I'm pretty sure that this particular bandit is fairly sorted. I'll learn more now that I'm swayed in that direction.
I don't know what it is, but I sure love suzukis. I think they have great engineers.