Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #91
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
tell ya what...

point me to some type of official documentation that flashing your lights is to be used as a method of communicating to other drivers.
ARE YOU DAFT!!!! I have lived all over the US including Hawaii. Flashing your lights at an intersection is understood by MOST PEOPLE to mean, "go ahead, I'll wait."

It is also used by people coming up on slow moving traffic to "suggest" that they move over so the faster vehicle may overtake. Some will oblige, others may not.

Also people routinely will flash their lights at approaching traffic to let them know of a speed trap.

Good luck out there.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #92
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I am told it is a concrete swamp.
I can't imagine that smells very good.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #93
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Purely anecdotal, but after reading through this thread, yesterday I went out on 75-mile ride and switched *off* my headlight modulator for the entire ride (that leaves the light on low-beam). Three times on that ride, I had cars start to pull out in front of me when they should have seen me. In all three cases they did brake short and I passed on through. But this sort of thing happens exceedingly rarely when the modulator is on. Perhaps just a coincidence...
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #94
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Purely anecdotal, but after reading through this thread, yesterday I went out on 75-mile ride and switched *off* my headlight modulator for the entire ride (that leaves the light on low-beam). Three times on that ride, I had cars start to pull out in front of me when they should have seen me. In all three cases they did brake short and I passed on through. But this sort of thing happens exceedingly rarely when the modulator is on. Perhaps just a coincidence...
I don't think the point of this thread is the effectiveness of a modulator to be seen. Most people would agree they do make you conspicuous. It's more a matter of it potentially being misinterpreted in certain circumstances. So the bigger questions would be is there some other device/clothing choice/etc. that would give you the conspicuity benefits of the modulator without the possible downsides. In other words, would all those cars have also seen you if you had a set of amber lights in addition to your headlight rather than the modulator?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #95
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Use lateral motion. Anyone that rides straight down the road is asking for a collision.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #96
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
There's a difference between conspicuous and distracting. I find modulated headlamps distracting and will not ride with anyone who has equipped their bike with one.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #97
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I don't think the point of this thread is the effectiveness of a modulator to be seen. Most people would agree they do make you conspicuous. It's more a matter of it potentially being misinterpreted in certain circumstances. So the bigger questions would be is there some other device/clothing choice/etc. that would give you the conspicuity benefits of the modulator without the possible downsides. In other words, would all those cars have also seen you if you had a set of amber lights in addition to your headlight rather than the modulator?

DITTO.

There are better, and more intelligent ways to be seen. Flashing lights should be reserved for "official & emergency" use only, not just because you are riding a motorcycle.

Bright contrasting colors work well. Black, silver, and gray are difficult to see.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #98
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Ahh! I see you are confused about the topic.

You sir/madam are talking about turn signals. The OP and seems like everyone else here are talking about flashing or modulating their headlight as a means of communication with other riders.

A turn signal is designed to flash and communicate with other drivers using a well established and enforced set of rules.

Since a headlight's primary function is to provide illumination (and awareness of motorcycles since 1986). There are no established and enforced set of rules regarding flashing your headlights (in the US), hence leaving any such "colloquial rules of the road" open to vast interpretation, resulting in the confusion and almost incident that the OP of this thread told us about.
No, I am not confused. I know what modulators are. The point was said that every car and bike has flashing lights, and you appeared to be oblivious. No one said every car and moto come with flashing headlights.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #99
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
No, I am not confused. I know what modulators are. The point was said that every car and bike has flashing lights, and you appeared to be oblivious. No one said every car and moto come with flashing headlights.
Then you were just being obtuse and attempting to . not adding any real conversation to this thread. In every post to this thread the use of the term "lights" was in reference to headlights, you are the only one talking about turn signals.

Please try and keep on topic.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #100
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
You cannot depend on others seeing you. They pull out in front of dump trucks every fookin' day so you've not a chance.
Yup. They pull out in front of firetrucks, ambulances, and po-po cars. They rear-end schoolbuses and wreckers/roadside-assistance vehicles. Even wearing hi-viz and a white helmet, running amber fogs and a brakelight that flashes 2-3 times, using positioning to stay visible, and weaving to add lateral motion...you're only covering the BE SEEN part of "see AND be seen". You still have to work on S.E.E. Search, Evaluate, and Execute. Installing a loud horn, installing good mirrors, and installing the habit and ability to use them all well can also help to mitigate quite a bit of risk in riding on public roads.

Not riding like an asshat helps too, as does NOT out-riding your sight-lines.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #101
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
There are definitely complications using those, such as being mistaken for law enforcement, and having people pulling into the gravel to get out of your way
Hey if it would get all of the left lane assholes that permeate the U.S., to pull over and get the hell out of the way, I could put up with a little gravel.

But no I don't have one, I have thought about it though, it would be good in one other instance besides the one mentioned above. People might mistake me for LEO while I am lane-splitting and tend to keep their doors shut and try not to pinch me off when I come up the middle.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #102
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Stealth works for me. They can't hit what they can't see.
Actually, they do it all the time...
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #103
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
Actually, they do it all the time...
Not quite, they see everything, they just fail to process and recognize what everything is.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #104
jmq3rd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
And in addition you are not able to cite any law in the united states that requires a driver to "flash" their lights, or anything that defines what flashing your lights is meant to convey.

Please prove me wrong on this i beg you!
Why prove you wrong on this? Did anybody claim it was the law to flash your lights? Do you use your brakes to stop, because there's no law telling you to do that, you know. It would be perfectly legal to drag your feet until you stop.

Yes, that's how stupid you sound.
jmq3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #105
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 154
In Florida it's free speech

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...storyid=256539
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote