Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 134
I load my DR650 tires with green Slime from Autozone. It is cheap and it works. I don't balance my tires. No vibrations either and I will ride it up to about 85 mph routinely. It isn't advertised as a wheel balancer like Ride On, but no problems noted in that department. Then again it is just a DR650 and not a performance machine. I had a puncture that I didn't get around to fixing for about a month. It held up without losing any pressure. I eventually replaced the tube and put Slime back in.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I've had good luck with Ride On. I've used it in Conti Trail Attacks, TKC 80, Heidenau K60, and Karoo 3 tires. No balance or other issues up to 100 MPH. Thankfully, I've not had to test the puncture repair abilities. I'll continue to use it.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #18
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
I've had good luck with Ride On. I've used it in Conti Trail Attacks, TKC 80, Heidenau K60, and Karoo 3 tires. No balance or other issues up to 100 MPH. Thankfully, I've not had to test the puncture repair abilities. I'll continue to use it.

Same here. I spooned a new set of T-63s on my DRZ and put a bottle in each tire. It totally wiped my balance issues off the map. I can't speak to the flat prevention/mitigation, but I use similar stuff in my mountain bikes. I can speak to that - it just works and extremely well.

So far so good with Ride-On.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksgp View Post
Gotta luv the French!
freedom beads

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Dyna beads here. 140MPH and no issues.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
I never balance my tires and never have problems. No need for slime or anything other than air in my tubes either.

I know how to fix a flat, but never needed it. Talk about a cheap solution
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
I know a fellow who should start running this stuff in his Vulcan 750.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I know a fellow who should start running this stuff in his Vulcan 750.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcbrowne View Post
This product is supposed to provide protection from small punctures as well as balance the tires without using wheel weights. A month ago I installed a pair of Metzeler FeelFree tires and put in the recommended volume of Ride-On. The balance seemed very good after an initial 10 mile ride and for most of the time since. Most of my riding is up to 55 or 60.

However, last week I was on a freeway and had to do 70+. I got an awful vibration. I have checked the bearings and tires and found no abnormalities. I called the company and they said that they only get one or so call a month for this problem. They suggested taking the bike to a dealer, have him carefully remove the wheels and then spin balance them. Sounds like a $100+ idea to me!

As far as I'm concerned, Ride-On is junk. Expensive junk at that. It's $14.95 per bottle (3 needed) plus shipping. This product has had some good reviews, but I'd definitely not recommend it after my experience.
Maybe one of the new tires is not well seated?

I've been using Ride-on for several years on 2 different bikes, no issues.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #25
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I never balance my tires and never have problems. No need for slime or anything other than air in my tubes either.
I was thinking the same thing...

You guys claiming that with this stuff inside, your tires seems perfectly balanced...did you try the same tires without the stuff (and obviously no weights) to see if the tires still have a balance problem?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #26
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Air Soft Pellets..no worries whatsoever..
Has worked in my jeep for... well, since I've had it. Every once and a while ti will get a vibration from the tires, but a quick brake check seems to sort that out.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I noticed that my local BMW dealer in So Cal had a flyer regarding Ride-On recommending it (of couse they made good money off it). I inquired about it and they mentioned that the CHP in their area required it in their bikes -- so I tried it in my R1200GS. No wheel weights and the tires balanced just fine.

Then the dealership was putting on a tire puncture repair demonstration and the head mechanic put several screws into his R1200GS rear tire to show how to properly remove them and correctly plug the tire. He had Ride-On in that tire and when he removed the first screw the tire immediately self sealed -- getting in the way of his demonstration. He proceeded to ream out the hole anyway and showed how to plug the tire but I was pretty impressed with the inadvertant display of the benefits of Ride-On.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I was thinking the same thing...

You guys claiming that with this stuff inside, your tires seems perfectly balanced...did you try the same tires without the stuff (and obviously no weights) to see if the tires still have a balance problem?
Yup - on a trip the front started hopping. 6oz in the front and it smoothed right out
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #29
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 909
I'm sure Ride On is great for balance and all, but it's not hard to balance a wheel. The bike is practically its own balancing stand.

And I'm sure it's great for flat prevention too. If it's actually covering the area with the puncture. The only time I used it, it collected near the center of the tread where the puncture wasn't. At least it doesn't make a mess like slime and fix-a-flat.

davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Balancing wheels is so easy. I got a balancing stand from harbor freight for 40$ and some weights for 7$ and I'll be set for years.

I noticed a difference on my KLR 650. Didn't notice putting on a Shinko 700 rear, but when I did the front there was a difference.

I will not be neglecting balancing again.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote