Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #451
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,578
That's more bettah!

Try some blenders at full lock...

Then try some flips and rolls at 6'. I was doing a few tonight...makes my hands shake a bit afterward!

I was watching Matt's videos and he uses the throttle to get momentum going to toss the copter and then catch it at low altitude. I'm not as smooth as him yet, but I'm getting the throttle control down a bit better.

I put a 4000 3S pack on tonight and got over 15 minutes of aero time. Almost too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
120 scaling, baby! After these vids I charged up my packs and did four consecutive backflips but didn't get it on camera

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #452
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
I think I'm going to try to run some 4S and prop down a bit. 3S with the 980kvs and 10x45s are just a bit too sluggish, I think. Maybe 9x6?

I watched his smaller Y-shaped tricopter and his v-tail videos. Oh, I'm in trouble now
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #453
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Give Matt Hall a call. He's great to talk to and has done it all already. He'll set you straight on what works and what doesn't. I've got a freaking warehouse full of parts now in my basement (motors, ESCs (flashed), props, batteries, chargers, etc) and am trying all kinds of stuff, but so far, Matt's suggestions have been right on the money.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #454
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Give Matt Hall a call. He's great to talk to and has done it all already. He'll set you straight on what works and what doesn't. I've got a freaking warehouse full of parts now in my basement (motors, ESCs (flashed), props, batteries, chargers, etc) and am trying all kinds of stuff, but so far, Matt's suggestions have been right on the money.
He emailed me his phone number. I'll call him when I can. Being at 6000' would mean I should prop up a bit. Hopefully if I go to 4S I can leave the 1045s but we will see. I'll have to throw my watt-meter on it.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #455
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
He emailed me his phone number. I'll call him when I can. Being at 6000' would mean I should prop up a bit. Hopefully if I go to 4S I can leave the 1045s but we will see. I'll have to throw my watt-meter on it.
Cool....

I had 12s on mine for the first few flights....was waiting for smaller props and that was all I had on hand. Things got a little warm, but it flew. :)

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #456
DakarNick
Swabee

It's snowing today

So, no flying for me this morning. This is what I did instead. I won't leave you guessing. This is a replacement rear arm to make my T-tricopter a T-V-tail

I do need one more matching ESC but have the motor, prop, wiring. I think I'll just wire in a Dean's connector so that I can swap between Tri and V-tail.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #457
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Neat.

What's the draw to the V-Tail? I don't get it.

Quote:
It's snowing today

So, no flying for me this morning. This is what I did instead. I won't leave you guessing. This is a replacement rear arm to make my T-tricopter a T-V-tail

I do need one more matching ESC but have the motor, prop, wiring. I think I'll just wire in a Dean's connector so that I can swap between Tri and V-tail.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #458
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Neat.

What's the draw to the V-Tail? I don't get it.
My number one reason: I've always wanted to see how one flies. Number two reason: Boredom

From what I have read, and correct me, anyone, if I am wrong...

*Power of a quad but yaw authority of a tri.
*No servo to break, less moving parts (except, of course, another motor).
*More power. I am adding 25% more thrust while adding minimal wood weight. The additional motor weight is there.

I will weigh the tri rear arm and associated parts against the v-tail arm and associated parts to see what I am losing and then gaining.

There is an rcgroups.com thread about pros and cons of different motor configs that I should read up on.

This project will only cost me another ESC and a bit of time. So, why not?

DakarNick screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 08:42 AM
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #459
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Don't mistake my question for condemnation. Lord knows I'm the King of hobbies/projects out of boredom. I'm just trying to have someone justify my buying another toy. You seem like a good guy for that.

What angle did you use? Matt said he had trouble with 45 degrees, but 30 worked well.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 09:17 AM
Old 10-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #460
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 559
The yaw on the Vtail is very fast. It flies more like a heli with a quick piro speed. And in forward flight a lot like an airplane..

I love my Vtail - here's an old vid, I need to make a new one, I have the KK2 flying better and it's very crisp.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #461
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,486
I made some major improvements to my regular beater last night. It started out as:

And after several long minutes of construction, I ended up with:

Amazingly the exhaust pipes have also made it faster - an unexpected benefit!

Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #462
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Good flying! Hard to tell, but I think my Tricopter yaws about the same. Not sure. I think I can get 2 rotations per second. Faster than I can keep up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
The yaw on the Vtail is very fast. It flies more like a heli with a quick piro speed. And in forward flight a lot like an airplane..

I love my Vtail - here's an old vid, I need to make a new one, I have the KK2 flying better and it's very crisp.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #463
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

hehe...nice work.

Loud pipes save lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I made some major improvements to my regular beater last night. It started out as:

And after several long minutes of construction, I ended up with:

Amazingly the exhaust pipes have also made it faster - an unexpected benefit!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #464
DakarNick
Swabee

I posted in Inmates about my new, one week-old-today, preemie baby, who is in the NICU at Presbyterian/St. Luke's Hospital in Denver. Between his care visits at 12pm and 4pm wifey and I had time to kill so we headed over to City Park and flew 10 batteries through my 350 QX. Great day for flying.

This morning I also put three batteries through my T-copter I converted to a V-tail. I made a new distribution harness for it. The T had all ESCs hard wired. The two fronts still are but I added Dean's for the rear two so that I can easily swap between the dual V-tail setup and single T-tail setup within 5 minutes or so. Best of both worlds!

AUW of the T is 993 grams, or 35 oz. (I remember the 993 because my baby only weighed 980 grams at birth). The V is 1089 grams, or 38.4 oz. That's a difference of 104 grams, or 3.4 oz. That is roughly a 10% increase in weight but a 25% increase in thrust.

Here she is in all her fugly glory

DakarNick screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 08:48 PM
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #465
DakarNick
Swabee

I'm on a tighter budget now so no new motors for a while. So, keep the existing powerplant but scale it down.

10" props, 10.5" between front motors, 11.25" between rear motor and either front.

Distribution block so I can easily swap between frames. Top right is battery male, pointing down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: