Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1036
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I cut a hole approx 2.5 inches in diameter in the side of a tall qt gear oil bottle, a couple of inches from the bottom. Use as a funnel with the lid/spout on or off. When you're done just stand it up and any oil drips down to the bottom

Another take.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #1037
kurisookaru
n00b

Oddometer: 6
DIY gas tank

Hi there :)
For a school project I'm gathering images about self made special tools. I've read this thread and noticed, that many of you have made a spare gas tank to work on the bike so there's no need to but the actual tank back on. I made on for myself aswell Do any of you who have made it, have some images about the tank/bottle/canister? Or is there any other special tool (self made), that many people might have in their garage?
My tiny tank looks like this:

Many thanks :)
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=juho
Russia-Georgia-Armenia 2013 8500 km http://eleherronen.com/reisikiri/
kurisookaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #1038
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisookaru View Post
For a school project I'm gathering images about self made special tools. I've read this thread and noticed, that many of you have made a spare gas tank to work on the bike so there's no need to but the actual tank back on. I made on for myself aswell Do any of you who have made it, have some images about the tank/bottle/canister? Or is there any other special tool (self made), that many people might have in their garage?

Personally, I use an old water bottle.

Rinse with a little gasoline to remove residual water.

Drill a hole in the lid just big enough to fit the tube snuggly.

Poke a small hole (offset) in the lid to allow as a "breather".

Push tubing through hole in lid, to bottom of bottle.

Remove lid with tube, fill bottle 1/2 - 2/3 full with gas. Replace lid/ tube.

Cut a piece of coat hanger long enough to wrap securely around neck of bottle, and create a hook at other end to hang off of handle bars.

Connect other end of tubing to carb.

(make sure to wipe any excess gasoline from lid area first) Blow through breather vent to prime/ force gasoline to carb.

Once primed, if bottle hung above level of carb, siphoning should keep carb fed until fuel supply runs out.

Sorry no pictures, but this has worked well for me on many occasions.

Good luck
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #1039
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
For a school project I'm gathering images about self made special tools.[...] Or is there any other special tool (self made), that many people might have in their garage?
I make a bike stand out of some old 2x4 scraps that I had lying around, does that count?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #1040
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 313
Quote:

Sounds like a cool project for school.

Fuel for when the tank is off the airhead.

From bottom left:
Pins made from bolts for sliding an oilhead transmission out without damaging the throw-out rod.
Allen wrench with a point ground on one end used as a flywheel lock for an R1200.
Clutch alignment tool for oilhead.
Deep 7mm socket ground thin at end for accessing the bolt securing the neutral/gear indicator switches from rear of oilhead transmission.
Ground down 13/16 socket for seating airhead push rod seals.
17 and 19mm sockets with the beveled faced ground down. 19 is for better access to R1200 transmission drain plug.
Bolts with nuts are homemade axle sockets for the R1200 and newer Beemers, made before I dropped the $20 for a real tool.
Bent 11mm wrench for bleeding top of ABS unit on oilhead.
Lastly is an attachment for my greese gun for getting into the inverted fittings on airhead swingarm pivots.

Big box is for holding up an oilhead final drive with the oil still in it, to prevent a huge oily mess. Holes on side are for holding airhead cylinders.
The smaller deal on the side is a jig for my drill press for drilling airhead cylinders.

Stand for front end of R1200 so I can pull both wheels at the same time.

The deal on top is for unscrewing the fuel pump retaining ring on a R1200.
License plate back piece is for slipping an alternator belt off top pulley on oil, hex, or camhead.
Blue pieces are for quick measuring of an oilhead clutch lever adjustment.
The yellow stick is for measuring how far in/out the piston is on an oilhead.
The bottom pieces are for locking airhead flywheels. I made the one on the right and bought the one on the left, but it was also made by an individual.

K bike stand made of angle iron, allowing you to remove the centerstand (which bolts directly to the transmission housing).

TheRoss screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 04:36 PM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #1041
kurisookaru
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Many great ideas The main goal is to compare same kind of tools made by different people. To show how inventive can be in many different ways. That's why I thought to compare most used tools. Is the diy gas tank common in garage? It might be, that self made center stand is more common
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=juho
Russia-Georgia-Armenia 2013 8500 km http://eleherronen.com/reisikiri/
kurisookaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #1042
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,403
Quote:
Many great ideas It might be, that self made center stand is more common
Maybe not too common for the K-bikes. That darn centerstand is a real PITA to remove and should be done once in a while if just to lube the pivots or keep an eye on one of the mounting bolts where the hole goes through and will fill with dirt/salt and may corrode the bolt/threads. That hole is plugged on my bike. But then most K-bikes don't see the amount of salt & gravel I put mine through.

Gotta make myself a stand now, even the powdercoating on my stand failed from the rocks/gravel hitting hit.....
Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #1043
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Here is my homemade front stand for my ZRX....
i know this is O L D post, but holy shit that's bad! there is absolutely NO triangulation in that "stand".

ever see a house of cards fall over?

and i like how this was posted as a response to using the jack and the wall of the garage. L OH L.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #1044
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,041
I use a syringe with the plunger out as a temporary fuel tank. The way the fuel line is on my Connie, I can pop the tank off, reroute the line, put the syringe in the end, and it stands up in between a couple of the frame members. Not terribly safe, mind you, but I'm usually just syncing the carbs with it.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #1045
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:

This is the one I made, it started as a Yamaha coolant overflow tank from eBay:

I added coat hanger wire, tubing, a valve and a filter:

...the best part is that the tank already has a built-in vent that I can also use to store the feed line when I'm done, without spilling any fuel:

Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #1046
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Whenever I replace a bearing (car, bike, washing machine) I disassemble the old bearing and keep the inner and outer races for future use to drive seals, bearings, etc.. I have a small collection in the bottom drawer of my tool chest.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #1047
johnquinnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Personally I've found things go better with Coke when requiring a temporary fuel supply when doing things like balancing carbs......
Attached Images

johnquinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #1048
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Moto View Post
This is the one I made, it started as a Yamaha coolant overflow tank from eBay:

I added coat hanger wire, tubing, a valve and a filter:

...the best part is that the tank already has a built-in vent that I can also use to store the feed line when I'm done, without spilling any fuel:

Nice!
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #1049
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 820
A friend of mine used 2 IV drips on his XT500 when his fuel tank was being repainted. Had a family emergency and no car, just the XT. This was around 100 years ago, just after the earth cooled. Hung from the handlebars. Reserve IV was closed with the integral tap thing until required.

Don't know if modern IVs are fuel resistant, but it comes with everything you need.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #1050
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Best ever attachment for your pressure washer.

My friend told me about this a few months ago. I bought one but hadn't used it until today. It cleans as if it were a mop. Just go over the area and it is clean.
You have to stop to move the pressure washer all the time because you are cleaning so fast.

The guy at Home Depot said people borrow their neighbor's surface cleaner then come in and buy their own.

Saves gas, water and time.

There are several brands out there.

It is a surface cleaning attachment for your pressure washer. Take your current tip off attach this and spin your concrete clean in no time. Google Briggs and Stratton Surface cleaner then click shopping at the top on the google menu.

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 08:52 AM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote