Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 594 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #30511
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorItBlue View Post
Any ideas on market price for a 50+ year old Smith & Wesson .38 revolver, I think it is 4", condition not perfect but not horrible. Also a broom handle Mauser that my grandfather brought back from WW1, condition about the same. Both in perfect working order but some pits in the bluing. $400 for the pair too much?

If you were local, I would probably offer to pay the $400 just based on what you have described for a condition. A dealer would be unlikely to offer that much but as someone who has to buy 'retail', I haven't seen a S&W revolver offered for much less than $300 for a long time. No idea what a Broomhandle is worth but if functional it has to have more than $100 value just for the curiosity factor.

I am sure that there will be no shortage of people who say that they can buy either or both for $100 all day long. I never seem to find those deals.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 09:02 PM Reason: spelling
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #30512
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
...got a nice like new Kimber CDP for it. It's full size and awesome...

I've got the 3" version of that piece. It's been a great little blaster. I wouldn't mind getting a "big brother" for it someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
My all-time favorite pocket gun, however, is this early production Seecamp in 32ACP...

I've got a NAA .32, it's a great little carry piece. It seems a bit heavy being carried, but being shot I wouldn't want it any lighter. Over time it's gotten ugly from carry, I'm thinking about sending it to NAA for a refinish and "carry melt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
I have a 642 as a back up and occasional off duty pistol. Great gun.

Word of caution...the Blackhawk "Serpa' style holster fucked up the finish on my gun.
IMHO, the Serpa holsters are a very bad design. Research them before trusting your life to them. Mine? It's used for administrative storage only, I won't trust it anywhere where it could get exposed to dirt/mud and where it may jam up.

As for finish wear, any plastic/kydex holster is known to do this. Go leather or lined kydex to avoid that.

Regarding the Apex triggers, I am not aware of anyone having problems with them. Another option is to get Snap Caps and dry fire it about 1000x times. It's a good chance to practice draws and aiming too.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 03:25 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #30513
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
I've got the 3" version of that piece. It's been a great little blaster. I wouldn't mind getting a "big brother" for it someday.

I've got a NAA .32, it's a great little carry piece. It seems a bit heavy being carried, but being shot I wouldn't want it any lighter. Over time it's gotten ugly from carry, I'm thinking about sending it to NAA for a refinish and "carry melt."

IMHO, the Serpa holsters are a very bad design. Research them before trusting your life to them. Mine? It's used for administrative storage only, I won't trust it anywhere where it could get exposed to dirt/mud and where it may jam up.

As for finish wear, any plastic/kydex holster is known to do this. Go leather or lined kydex to avoid that.

Regarding the Apex triggers, I am not aware of anyone having problems with them. Another option is to get Snap Caps and dry fire it about 1000x times. It's a good chance to practice draws and aiming too.
Does your handle refer to ODA-555? Were you 5th SFG? Iam guessing yes...

Sniper X screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 09:21 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #30514
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I live in the ghetto of South St Pete. I do not think we have grouse . Will be used for plinking targets at the range ....mostly. The bluejays are mighty belligerent but figure the yard cats will take care of them .
chock full of awesome !! 150 rounds fired and mighty accurate.

Break down , cleaning and reassembly not bad at all . overall huge woo' f'n hoo.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #30515
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
I dont love this gun

RUGER.......do you have ANY quality control AT ALL?
Not only can I not chamber more than 6 rounds in my BRAND NEW single TEN, but the front sight is skewed to the right enough to require gun smithing! How did this POS get out of the factory? Are they made in Russia? Hold that thought, Russian made weapons WORK!
I have a RUGER mini 14, and a 1911, which work great, but when 33.3% of the equipment you own from a manufacturer is CRAP.....??
RUGER.....I know .22 single action revolvers are not a big part of your business, what with building AR15 clones and all, but really....try giving a rat's ass!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #30516
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Not only can I not chamber more than 6 rounds in my BRAND NEW single TEN, but the front sight is skewed to the right enough to require gun smithing! How did this POS get out of the factory? Are they made in Russia? Hold that thought, Russian made weapons WORK!
I have a RUGER mini 14, and a 1911, which work great, but when 33.3% of the equipment you own from a manufacturer is CRAP.....??
RUGER.....I know .22 single action revolvers are not a big part of your business, what with building AR15 clones and all, but really....try giving a rat's ass!
Lyle
I have owned a number of Ruger revolvers over the years, both single and double action. Still have a couple, including a Single-Six which shoots like a rifle. While I have liked some better than others, none have ever given any problems. More to the point...every manufacturer puts out a lemon from time to time...what matters is how those problems are dealt with.

Have you contacted Ruger regarding your problem? You could have done that in the same amount of time it took you to trash them on this forum. Ruger's customer service is widely regarded as among the best in the industry. They will take care of your problem & it won't take them long. How about giving them a chance to fix things...and then reporting back here on your experience with that? Might be more productive
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #30517
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
. How about giving them a chance to fix things...and then reporting back here on your experience with that? Might be more productive
Better to go online and bitch about it.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #30518
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
My SPR build

I just finished putting this together from bits gathered over the past year. I shot 55gn, 69gr SMK and 77grn SMK loads yesterday out to 300yds....its a tack driver
-Lancer Upper and lower kit
-BCM SPR 1/8" Barrel from JMOP
-JP adj. Gas block
-Magpul PRS Stock
-Geisele 2 stage trigger
-Rubber City Armory BCG
-Seeking Precision SPR3B rail
-LaRue SPR Offset scope mount
-Leupold mk4 6.5-20 TMR w/A5 Turrets[/list]

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #30519
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
All or most .22 SA Handguns USE to be made very well out of the same materials, and workmanship as the .38spl and above counterparts. Not since about (for the most part) about ten yers ago has this been true. MOST manufacturers have gone to very low quality steels for the frames and such, and use cheaper internals. This is becuase they think the public (and probably rightfully so) won't pay as much for a .22 revolver as the .38spl version. So to sell them for under 250 or so they make them really cheaply now and have for years.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #30520
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

The "Walther" P22

....is a POS and a stain on the Walther name.
I've owned PPKs, PPK/Ss, and a PPS...the p22 is no comparison,
If you have one, sell it.
If you're looking to buy one, don't.
That is all.

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #30521
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
....is a POS and a stain on the Walther name.
I've owned PPKs, PPK/Ss, and a PPS...the p22 is no comparison,
If you have one, sell it.
If you're looking to buy one, don't.
That is all.

I had a P22 that functioned flawlessly and was a fun gun for about three years before a budy wanted it so bad he bought it from me for what I paid. It wasn't the quality I would expect from Walther, materials wise but was a great shooting little gun. I have heard many have problems with them but I'll bet a lot of that is internet hate generated by those who never even shot one let alone owned one.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #30522
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

[QUOTEedit....=Sniper X;22478199]but I'll bet a lot of that is internet hate generated by those who never even shot one let alone owned one.[/QUOTE]
Well, that was my personal pistol inthe pic. The slide hit me in the lower neck, upper chest. Had i been built with shorter arms, it would've likely hit me in the face/chin. When I called to get a return authorization from S&W the service drone's first question after I mentioned the firearm model was- "is this for a broken slide?".
No thanks...

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #30523
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
[QUOTEedit....=Sniper X;22478199]but I'll bet a lot of that is internet hate generated by those who never even shot one let alone owned one.
Well, that was my personal pistol inthe pic. The slide hit me in the lower neck, upper chest. Had i been built with shorter arms, it would've likely hit me in the face/chin. When I called to get a return authorization from S&W the service drone's first question after I mentioned the firearm model was- "is this for a broken slide?".
No thanks...[/QUOTE]
Was it an early one? I hear they had problems with the early slides and fixed it by using better metal in them.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #30524
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
I have owned a number of Ruger revolvers over the years, both single and double action. Still have a couple, including a Single-Six which shoots like a rifle. While I have liked some better than others, none have ever given any problems. More to the point...every manufacturer puts out a lemon from time to time...what matters is how those problems are dealt with.

Have you contacted Ruger regarding your problem? You could have done that in the same amount of time it took you to trash them on this forum. Ruger's customer service is widely regarded as among the best in the industry. They will take care of your problem & it won't take them long. How about giving them a chance to fix things...and then reporting back here on your experience with that? Might be more productive
It's a fucking pistol! Not like I bought a Black & Decker cordless drill that slipped through quality control. It's a fucking GUN. And they bloody deserve to be trashed! Is it too much to ask, to at least see if you can load the thing BEFORE you ship it out? Guess it is.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #30525
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
The vast majority of the P22's that I have heard of with broken slides are on long barrel models. I don't think I've ever heard of one on a short barrel. I have a short barrel version and it shoots great. I personally think that the problem is a tolerance stack issue, causing the front of the slide to hit the weight on the barrel before the slide hits the stops which screws up the loading on the part.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: