User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Mapco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
guy pulled in front of me at an intersection

The light turned yellow for me about 20 ft before the intersection. I was going 35mph (the speed limit) and there was no way in hell I had the distance or time to stop at that yellow. If I would have made it through the intersection normally it would have turned red AFTER I left the intersection. Someone in a Jeep on the right cross street came up and stopped at his red, then pulled in front of me and stopped while it was still red for him. I attempted an emergency stop but still hit him at about 15mph. I was pinned under the bike for a moment but no injuries. He did stop to help but as soon as I was up and reacting in anger to his running the light he claimed it was green for him. That's when I pulled out my phone to call the police. He asked me if I was calling them and then said "can I just pay you?" Guy was like an 18 year old college student. Here is the shitty part: The police that responded could not cite anyone due to conflicting stories and no witnesses. Thinking back now I should have told the police that he didn't want them called and wanted to pay me off. How fucked am I on the insurance claim?

The damage:
  • Radiator broken from mount and drained (not sure about all the damage around that area)
  • fairing damage all over right side
  • Handle bars bent or misaligned
  • Forks/fender bent or misaligned
  • bent rear brake lever
  • Right side turn signals bent, cracked, and scratched
  • windshield scratched
  • right mirror damaged
  • right handguard bent and scratched
  • front brake fluid guard bent
  • right engine guard scratched
  • rear brake light cracked
  • right vario back cracked and scratched

Wheel straight, you can see the handlebar issue

fork or fender issue?

damage inside

rear

Mapco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Dam.
Good news is you are ok; but it's still a pisser...
Seems everytime someone (Jeep driver) does something stoopid, their first thought is how to lie and get away with it.
You may be up sh!t creek with the insurance, but maybe someone else will chime in. I guess if the LE cites no one, your comprehensive should take care of it.
Time to get and use a helmet cam. I have been using one for a couple years, but have lately had it in manual mode. See something interesting, hit the remote button on the clutch MC, and take the shot.
But you more than likely would not have been thinking to document the light. Think I'm going to switch back to full video, all the time. Then lets see the SOB try to lie his way out.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
You didn't anticipate that a light might change. You didn't watch out for a driver you could see.

Sounds like you need to practice your defensive driving skills.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Glad you're okay. It could have been so much worse.

You'll be out the deductible, unless somehow you can get blame assigned to the Jeep driver. Other than that, your insurance should cover the damage to your bike.

Frankly, until you get this settled with your insurance company, the less said (posted) on the internet, the better.

Good luck.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
You didn't anticipate that a light might change. You didn't watch out for a driver you could see.

Sounds like you need to practice your defensive driving skills.
Come on, give him a break!

We can't always anticipate and expect everything. I know that a lot of guys on this forum like to think otherwise but damn, sometimes we just have to ride. We're not super-heroes gifted with total omniscience. We can't stop at every fucking lights just in case, one day, it might change. We can't stop at every intersection just in case a car might blow a red.

What would you do in this case? Expect that every lights that you're crossing might change when you're 20ft from it? OK, then what? Speed up? Slow down? Stop? Geez...

It doesn't mean that riding defensively isn't important, far from it.

We can, sometimes, expect that a light might change if we are familiar with this intersection, knowing that if it has been green for a long time if we were able to have our eyes on it from a distance, and ride accordingly but I guess that it's not always possible, don't you think?

Sometimes, the timing can be very bad and shit might happen.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 06:00 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post

We can't always anticipate and expect everything. I know that a lot of guys on this forum like to think otherwise but damn, sometimes we just have to ride. We're not super-heroes gifted with total omniscience. We can't stop at every fucking lights just in case, one day, it might change. We can't stop at every intersection just in case a car might blow a red.

What would you do in this case? Expect that every lights that you're crossing might change when you're 20ft from it? OK, then what? Speed up? Slow down? Stop? Geez...

We can, sometimes, expect that a light might change if we are familiar with this intersection, knowing that if it has been green for a long time if we were able to have our eyes on it from a distance, and ride accordingly but I guess that it's not always possible, don't you think?

But it's okay for him to blame it all on someone else? On a kid with limited experience? We were all there at one point.

Sure shit happens, just like it did to that kid. He might have started to go through on red but stopped himself.

Remember, he has to deal with his insurance company too. It will have some consequences for him. How many years will his premiums be higher?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Mike Tokyo
Freelance Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I guess you were riding in Fairbanks. Too bad the controlled intersections do not have cameras as we have in many cities down here in the lower 48. That might have helped you to press your case.

Mike Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
I guess if the LE cites no one, your comprehensive should take care of it.
Collision coverage covers this collision. Comprehensive is non-collision loss--theft, fire, tree falls on it, etc.

Anyway, don't worry about it. Let your insurance company sort it out. It might end up costing you some money for your deductible.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:

Yes, cover the brake & clutch, if a car is there you must expect him to turn in front of you. At the same time you should also have looked left/right to see if a car is going to run the light. This sounds overboard and a lot of work, but in reality, all this take place in a matter of seconds on your approach. The more you do these things the the easier it gets and the better you get at it.

It is possible, and if it's not, it's a failure of the rider. ]Do we(I) fail at times...hell yes, and during those lapses we are just slap lucky. You can look at every single accident posted here, all involve some failure of the rider.

Like a meteor hitting you on top of the helmet while loping along at 55 mpg in the curb lane?......shoulda heard it coming or seen the "flash" and taken evasive action

None of us are perfect, we all fail in our tactical analysis of the traffic around us from time to time. But, if we are truly diligent in our awareness our life expectancy easily doubles.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
Glad you were not hurt.
I don't know, I think its wet, its dark, I would not be running yellows.
I think a yellow gives you enough time to stop unless you are speeding, and I would think you would see the car moving.

Not that its your fault, it was not, but I think it did not have to happen.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I just hate to see crap like this happen. On the subject of cameras, I use a GoPro on my commutes (see e.g., http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924389) but it's not very convenient. Battery is good for less than 90 minutes, would need two of them to to cover front and rear, it can be stolen in seconds if left unattended on the bike, etc.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these - http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.ph...products_id=55
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Glad your okay. I think I'm going to start using my Gopro at all times.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
One would think that a fine cycle like a BMW could handle that kind of accident better.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
Well, how long/much have you been riding, and how many times have you gone down?

All you have to do is pay attention and think about what could happen and be ready for it.

I am really tired of hearing that there was nothing that could have been done to prevent a crash, or it was just 'one of those things' or any of the other lame excuses people come up with after a crash.

I think its a VERY rare thing that you could not plan for, falling space junk, jet hardware, and to some extent, deer.

40 years of street riding without an issue makes me suspect many crashes, and I am not even a good rider...

Quote:

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Don't the little Do Not Walk signs flash/go solid up there, prior to the light changing from green to yellow, to red?

It was dark and rainy?

Approaching intersection in the dark and rain, at the maximum permissable speed limit, stale green light, that *should* have had a flashing, or gone to solid pedestrian don't walk sign visible, with another vehicle entering/entered the intersection from perpendicular?

Sounds vaguely avoidable, but I'm not judging.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote