User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 395 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #5416
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,435
In the beginning of 2007 they had 4 planes flying commercially - now its 40+. Growing pains is what some euphemistically call it.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #5417
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQP-H_31JQ
First time I've seen no power take off.
I've flown with the designer of that plane and it's a blast to fly in that thing. The approach to the Just Aircraft factory has quite the pucker factor (steep uphill from a lake), especially the first time you do it. That customer made a cool dvd which I've watched many times.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #5418
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQP-H_31JQ
First time I've seen no power take off.
Missed that the first time round, but DAMN thats a bit.....um whats the word im looking for?
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #5419
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Ha that's great! I suppose I've done a bunch of dead stick takeoffs and landings. But I kinda cheat.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #5420
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.americaspace.com/?p=43563

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Carpenter

One Of America's First Astronauts, Scott Carpenter, Dies At Age 88

One of America’s first NASA astronauts, Scott Carpenter, has died at age 88 from complications related to a stroke he suffered one month ago. The former Naval aviator and aquanaut, one of NASA’s original Mercury seven astronauts, passed away today at a hospice located in Denver, Colorado.

“Carpenter was in the vanguard of our space program — the pioneers who set the tone for our nation’s pioneering efforts beyond Earth and accomplished so much for our nation,” said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden today. ”We will miss his passion, his talent and his lifelong commitment to exploration.”

Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter lifts off from Cape Canaveral on May 24, 1962, in his Aurora 7 capsule. The fourth American in space and second American to orbit Earth, Carpenter spent nearly five hours testing equipment and taking photographs before splashing down. Photo Credit: NASA
Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter lifts off from Cape Canaveral on May 24, 1962, in his Aurora 7 capsule. The fourth American in space and second American to orbit Earth, Carpenter spent nearly five hours testing equipment and taking photographs before splashing down. Photo Credit: NASA
Carpenter, who was the fourth American in space and the second to orbit the Earth, only flew in space once, but his mission in 1962 remains one of the most comprehensive scientific research missions ever flown in human spaceflight. Mission Mercury-Atlas 7 (MA-7) required Carpenter to make astronomical observations, Earth observations, medical checks, and study visibility and flying abilities. Carpenter orbited the Earth three times, piloting his Aurora-7 spacecraft 164 miles above the Earth’s surface at over 17,500 miles per hour, before splashing down in the Caribbean off the coast of Puerto Rico – some 250 miles off of the intended target.

Fortunately Carpenter survived his trail blazing spaceflight in one piece, but most of America was on the edge of their seats when CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite announced that Mission Control had lost communication with Aurora 7. Carpenter and his spacecraft suffered from a fair share of technical problems – a faulty pitch horizon scanner, low fuel, overheated fuses, and autopilot and automatic systems malfunctions. The numerous problems forced Carpenter to manually fly his spacecraft through reentry, proving a human pilot could overcome automatic systems malfunctions.

“I sat for a long time just thinking about what I’d been through. I couldn’t believe it had all happened. It had been a tremendous experience, and though I could not ever really share it with anyone, I looked forward to telling others as much about it as I could,” said Carpenter of his thoughts while waiting to be picked up in the ocean in the 1962 book ‘We Seven’. ”I had made mistakes and some things had gone wrong, but I hoped that other men could learn from my experiences. I felt that the flight was a success, and I was proud of that.”

Former NASA astronaut Scott Carpenter. Photo Credit: NASA
Former NASA astronaut Scott Carpenter. Photo Credit: NASA
After Aurora 7, Carpenter took a leave from NASA to pursue more work with the U.S. Navy, this time at the bottom of the ocean. Carpenter was America’s first astronaut / aquanaut and spent 28 days living on the ocean floor off the coast of California for the Navy’s Sealab program. Carpenter sustained an injury caused by a motorcycle accident in 1964, one which he never fully recovered from. In light of his injury, and considering that he still did not regain mobility in the injured arm after two surgeries, NASA ruled Carpenter ineligible for spaceflight, and he resigned from NASA in 1967. Carpenter retired from the U.S. Navy two years later with the rank of Commander.

With Carpenter’s passing, John Glenn – the first American to orbit the Earth – is the sole surviving member of NASA’s Mercury Seven, America’s first astronaut class. Carpenter leaves behind a wife, four sons, two daughters, and six grandchildren.

- “I am frequently asked if I was afraid [regarding being launched into space]. Yes, I was afraid. But fear is neither shameful nor to be feared, it is to be respected; it does a lot of good things for you when things get dirty. It improves your vision, extends you peripheral vision, reduces reaction time, makes you stronger, and improves your endurance. It is a very valuable companion. What people, I think, are chary about here is that fear is the same as panic. But panic is uncontrolled fear – and that is deadly. But if you use fear, and control it, it can save your life. It can be a pistol!” – Scott Carpenter
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 10-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #5421
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,662
Thanks for posting that.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #5422
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Thanks for posting that.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #5423
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post

In the next installment: The Flying Heritage Collection and the Historic Flight Foundation

Part Quatre: the final installment.

At the Flying Heritage Collection

At the Historic Flight Foundation
Here they tell you that you can touch all the aircraft and that you can't at Flying History Collection and the docents are eager take take you on a personal tour, give you a explanation of each aircraft and answer questions.

It's a small collection housed in this hangar:

DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #5424
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

what aircraft is this inside of?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #5425
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
Got to fly in a 1929 Ford Trimotor today:

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #5426
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,448
Avro Lancaster B. Mk.I nose section

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post

what aircraft is this inside of?

DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #5427
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Awesome! I have a bomb rack from one of those in my living room!

And really cool on the tri motor flight.....its on my list!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #5428
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
This guy has great stories.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #5429
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #5430
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Ain't that the damned truth!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: