Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #46
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Have put a few hundred miles on mine so far and absolutely love it, especially on twisty mountain roads...
Any comments on body roll? Is there any need for aftermarket suspension mods? I am not intimately familiar with the differences between the non-ST and the ST but I believe there is a suspension kit (I think anti-roll bar and maybe coil overs) available for the current gen non-ST Fiesta in Europe. I wonder if at least heavier anti-roll bars are already applied on the ST.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
There is a 215HP (up from the 180 EU rating, 197 is only available or 20 secs. at a time stock) kit available from Mountune already http://www.mountune.com/index.php/se...fiesta-st-2013 but I don't think I'd want to go much beyond that in this car as the overall balance of power, handling, and brakes in stock form is really excellent and the Fiesta ST does not have the torque steer and wheel hop of the 250HP Focus ST. Have put a few hundred miles on mine so far and absolutely love it, especially on twisty mountain roads and don't know that I'd like it any better with more power...personally I think 200HP+ is best for RWD or 4WD cars (have owned a couple of RWD performance cars, a Mustang GT and a Birkin S3/Lotus 7....the Fiesta ST overall is just as much fun to drive as they were despite being slower)
You definitely don't want to go too high on HP, a lot of people who buy these won't care that it TQ steers though. And if you use the HP right, you can keep it from that pretty easily on the twisties. This is exactly why I would love it if they brought the AWD RS versions to the us, at that point I would buy my first new car in decades! BTW the magical number all other things considered is 250hp for a FWD car to not have horrid TQ steer.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #48
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Any comments on body roll? Is there any need for aftermarket suspension mods? I am not intimately familiar with the differences between the non-ST and the ST but I believe there is a suspension kit (I think anti-roll bar and maybe coil overs) available for the current gen non-ST Fiesta in Europe. I wonder if at least heavier anti-roll bars are already applied on the ST.
you can always improve sport driving on a new car since the suspensions are tuned for street driving. However, the car will suffer in other places like the suppleness and ride quality. And of course usually ground clearance. I am actually thinking of going back to a stock height spring for my Focus, because the Ford Racing set up has lowered it so much that I have to be careful on peaked dirt roads. Plus I will be able to go back to a slightly taller tyre which will also be better for dirt roads.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #49
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Not much body roll at all (the video above shows this in the track footage) and the ST suspension is VERY different from stock, some details below...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #50
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,508
Here's a dumb question - is the chassis the same as the regular fiesta? If that's the case, then a tow bar is available form curt that will fit. Needa be able to tow my HF fold up + TE300 (~600lb), and maybe another dirtbike of a buddies (~850lb).
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #51
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Here's a dumb question - is the chassis the same as the regular fiesta? If that's the case, then a tow bar is available form curt that will fit. Needa be able to tow my HF fold up + TE300 (~600lb), and maybe another dirtbike of a buddies (~850lb).
If not Curt, I think the autocrossers (SCCA SOLO) will figure it out in no time- I've towed with a Miata, MINI, & S2000.

Will look at these (and the BRZ) for my SOLO car since I'll be back in the states next summer
Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #52
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 227
anyone here driven both the fiesta st and the toyobaru/ brz? comparisons?
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #53
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
anyone here driven both the fiesta st and the toyobaru/ brz? comparisons?
I have not, but the guy in the video below has....

Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #54
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Ok, Finally took a test drive in one today. Very impressed. Very much like this car. More than enough power to earn me plenty of TPD Performance Awards. Though I think I still like the mazda 3 interior better, the outright performance and price of the car beats the hell out of the mazda. Grr.

But the salesman is tempting me with 2013 Foci (focuses?) ST's being sold with deep discounts. I've heard that the foci are having a hard time meeting their fuel efficiency figures, whereas the fiestas are not. Also, what about insurance rate differences between the two?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #55
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Ok, Finally took a test drive in one today. Very impressed. Very much like this car. More than enough power to earn me plenty of TPD Performance Awards. Though I think I still like the mazda 3 interior better, the outright performance and price of the car beats the hell out of the mazda. Grr.

But the salesman is tempting me with 2013 Foci (focuses?) ST's being sold with deep discounts. I've heard that the foci are having a hard time meeting their fuel efficiency figures, whereas the fiestas are not. Also, what about insurance rate differences between the two?
Don't know about the insurance but I definitely have not been meeting the MPG numbers on the sticker, however I don't think they are necessarily wrong...the car REALLY wants to go so it is hard to keep your foot out of it and I suspect that is the case with the Focus ST too...have only had mine for a week so have not done a long freeway drone yet, but have got it out on windy back roads a lot...

victor441 screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 08:51 PM
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #56
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
I have not, but the guy in the video below has....

I want that guy's job.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #57
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Quote:
Don't know about the insurance but I definitely have not been meeting the MPG numbers on the sticker, however I don't think they are necessarily wrong...the car REALLY wants to go so it is hard to keep your foot out of it and I suspect that is the case with the Focus ST too...have only had mine for a week so have not done a long freeway drone yet, but have got it out on windy back roads a lot...
Haha I think that would be the case with any new slightly performance orientated car. But after the honeymoon period cools off, I'd hope to be running about 30. Well I do a lot of highway, so maybe closer to 35.

Still. That car is serious fun. The 15 minutes I had it going around is seriously threatening the Mazda 3.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #58
andy3209595
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I've now had mine for a couple of weeks, and it's one of, if not the most funnest cars I've owned. We get the 3 door German made version here in Australia - an advantage for tall drivers. No B-pillar right next to your head. Even though I have enough headroom (6'5), there is heaps of room under the seat and I'm looking out for some type of seat rail mod/replacement to lower the driving position. Also, initially I thought the recaro seats may have been a bit tight but have now broken in to be perfect. Driving position / ergonomics are spot on.

I test drove a Focus ST before I bought this but there was just way too much torque steer in the Focus under full noise. It's almost non existent on the Fiesta compared, thanks greatly to the torque vectoring. All in all, a great little fun car.

andy3209595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #59
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
It's not just the Focus ST that isn't meeting mileage targets in the real world.....my '12 Focus Ti is usually below it's ratings by 3-5 mpg....
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #60
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3209595 View Post
I've now had mine for a couple of weeks, and it's one of, if not the most funnest cars I've owned. We get the 3 door German made version here in Australia - an advantage for tall drivers. No B-pillar right next to your head. Even though I have enough headroom (6'5), there is heaps of room under the seat and I'm looking out for some type of seat rail mod/replacement to lower the driving position. Also, initially I thought the recaro seats may have been a bit tight but have now broken in to be perfect. Driving position / ergonomics are spot on.

I test drove a Focus ST before I bought this but there was just way too much torque steer in the Focus under full noise. It's almost non existent on the Fiesta compared, thanks greatly to the torque vectoring. All in all, a great little fun car.
Very sharp! I wish we had a 3 door option in the US, I would have gone for it.. Do the rear windows open on the 3 door? I have a sunroof on mine and need to lower the rear windows an inch or two w/ the sunroof open, otherwise the thrumming and pulsation is really bad so I'm curious if that is the case w/ 3 door cars too. I have not driven a Focus ST and was not considering one because of the many reviews mentioning excessive torque steer and wheel hop. The 5 door works OK for me at 6'1" but probably would not for someone your height.
Anyway, have had mine for two weeks now and it also is as much or more fun to drive than anything I've experienced, especially on windy roads...my bikes have been ignored lately but am sure I'll be back on them eventually.

victor441 screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 08:52 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: