Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #166
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
So I am week 2 now. I did 2 hours before starting the official training. Last weekend 1 hour, this weekend 2 hours, and now booked in for 2 hours every sat. I took in what Beemer Bob said, and what the CFI said and opted to do 2 sessions on a weekend. Each session is one hour of ground school, and one hour of flight time. Best I can do at this stage.

So the plan is to continue the 2 session weekend, and hopefully when I get downtime at work I can pick up some more lessons.

Tips for a noob are welcome!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #167
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
So I am week 2 now. I did 2 hours before starting the official training. Last weekend 1 hour, this weekend 2 hours, and now booked in for 2 hours every sat. I took in what Beemer Bob said, and what the CFI said and opted to do 2 sessions on a weekend. Each session is one hour of ground school, and one hour of flight time. Best I can do at this stage.

So the plan is to continue the 2 session weekend, and hopefully when I get downtime at work I can pick up some more lessons.

Tip #1: make sure you keep the big fan up front turning. And if you don't believe its a fan, just wait and see how much you sweat when it stops turning.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #168
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Fly as much as you can, as often as you can. I soloed at 7 hours and took my checkride at 40.2.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #169
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
Fly as much as you can, as often as you can. I soloed at 7 hours and took my checkride at 40.2.

There is no way in hell I will solo at 7 hours! Maybe 27!

I am booking in as much flight time as I can afford, both time wise and money wise.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #170
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
I think I beat you, but I'd have to check my log book. Soloed in 6 hours and PPL at 40 or 41 hours. So your instructor was sick you too?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #171
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

My instructor was my new father in law. No bs from him. He signed the book and sent me to the examiner. As soon as I got the ppl I loaded up his daughter in the 1965 c172 and flew from Florida to Newport for a wedding. We did spend a few unplanned nights but it was a helluva good time.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #172
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
There is no way in hell I will solo at 7 hours! Maybe 27!

I am booking in as much flight time as I can afford, both time wise and money wise.
Not to be a downer, but aviation takes a lot of time and money. Unless there is a viable need to maintain a plane/currency it doesn't make a great deal of sense for most. I am in the business, and even I have a hard time justifying it. I sold my airplane some time ago, but am interested in the ultralight/ grass strip kind of thing. Seems like the advrider of aviation. General aviation in the US is on the outs, especially the average owner flown bug smasher.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #173
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:

Good luck and don't get discouraged. I exercised my privileges as a PP yesterday and flew to New Philadelphia, OH for the Ohio Bush Planes flyin.....I took my Tcraft and would/could out perform 90% of the big tired crowd there.
The threat of rain shortened our stay but we had a good time.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #174
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
Good luck and don't get discouraged. I exercised my privileges as a PP yesterday and flew to New Philadelphia, OH for the Ohio Bush Planes flyin.....I took my Tcraft and would/could out perform 90% of the big tired crowd there.
The threat of rain shortened our stay but we had a good time.
I'm jealous that you were far enough east to avoid the storms. My wife and I returned a car to my in-laws yesterday. We met in Cambridge, OH (in-laws were driving from Steubenville). The original plan was for me to fly to Zainesville in the Cub and my wife and I would fly back after she dropped off the car. Woke up to thunderstorms. Sure, it was faster to drive than to fly the Cub, but not near as fun.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #175
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I'm jealous that you were far enough east to avoid the storms. My wife and I returned a car to my in-laws yesterday. We met in Cambridge, OH (in-laws were driving from Steubenville). The original plan was for me to fly to Zainesville in the Cub and my wife and I would fly back after she dropped off the car. Woke up to thunderstorms. Sure, it was faster to drive than to fly the Cub, but not near as fun.
Storms hit New Philly around 3 o'clock. We had already landed at my home field by then (55I). Haze very bad but we had at least 3 mile visibility......Lots of Cubs at PHD.....4 Tcraft.....

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #176
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
Quote:
Not to be a downer, but aviation takes a lot of time and money. Unless there is a viable need to maintain a plane/currency it doesn't make a great deal of sense for most. I am in the business, and even I have a hard time justifying it. I sold my airplane some time ago, but am interested in the ultralight/ grass strip kind of thing. Seems like the advrider of aviation. General aviation in the US is on the outs, especially the average owner flown bug smasher.
Also look into experimental planes. Vast array of cool stuff available and lots of fun people doing it.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #177
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep. Know that side as well. Might be the way to go in the future. Still a decent Vans/lanceair that is worth having is pretty good coin.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #178
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Started circuits today. 10knot crosswinds gusting 15. Plenty of thermals. Great day for a first timer! Instructor seemed pretty impressed given the conditions. I was nervous going into it, but ends up far to busy to even think about nerves.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #179
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 635
Yes.

PIC: Smallest - Largest. Pitts S2 and B52H Lots of stuff in between.

OBTW BUFF doesn't snap roll

Just as a side bar: Had my license "student permit" at 15. Way back then there were no restrictions -
Flew everywhere out of Whitman Airport and Van Nuys. No TSA's Those were the days!

Here is a giggle learned to fly at COFFIN AIR SERVCE. Back in the old days you had to do spins to get
a Private license. Did my first spins over - Glenview Cemetary!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com

KHJPHOTO screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 05:29 AM
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #180
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Started circuits today. 10knot crosswinds gusting 15. Plenty of thermals. Great day for a first timer! Instructor seemed pretty impressed given the conditions. I was nervous going into it, but ends up far to busy to even think about nerves.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
That's what got me over the twinge of air sickness I had in the beginning. I was too busy to think about it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: