ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #4021
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SamRus's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Southern IL
Oddometer: 307
Yeah, 3K is definitely too high. $1,000 - $1,500 if it's in great condition sounds about right.
__________________
1984 Honda CB650sc - Nighthawk - with 33K miles - Fuelly Log
1982 Honda CM450a - Hondamatic - with 11K miles - Fuelly Log
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ex250 with 29K miles - Fuelly Log - [SOLD]
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #4022
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,855
I doubt they would take $1000, but I may offer it just to see what they say.

thanks - I figured $3000 for a 22 year old bike was kind of "out there"
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #4023
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: sarasota, fl
Oddometer: 238
prices vary with the seasons and location
it's fall-I'm thinking 2100 tops if it has low miles.
I would let my 12000 mi. 03 go for 3500, new tires, carbs cleaned & synced, new fork seals, & under 400 miles on tires

if you get it and it hasn't been ridden plan on carb cleaning, brake fluid flush and maybe fork seals-stuff goes wrong when they sit.

if that one doesn't work out, keep looking-you will love the Nighthawk
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #4024
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder
 
The Kurgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
Oddometer: 349
I can tell you that prices vary based on geographic location, add-ons, and overall condition. I personally wouldn't take a penny under $7000 for mine!
(mine looks like it was just rolled off a showroom floor and has all the nice Hondaline goodies, plus Corbin, Progressive springs, and a sweet full-system Supertrapp exhaust)
__________________
2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- current
2001 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 2008 Tomos Arrow 'R'
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #4025
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,855
I guess I should have given the mileage. It's just under 25,000.

I checked my mad money, and it's not as healthy as I thought it was, so I no longer expect to pursue this at this time.

If anyone is interested, it's at Honda of Cool Springs, in Franklin, TN.

no affiliation here, just passing along the info.
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #4026
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 632
I have been interested in the most recent generation Nighthawk since it came out. I nearly purchased one in 2002. Last night a friend let me ride his. As soon as I got on it I felt that I had to really lift my legs to get to the pegs. They were set very high for a standard bike. Also I was leaning forward more than I would expect on a standard. I hate to say it but the Nighthawk 750 may be too sporty for me. I know the bars can be raised easily. How about the foot pegs? Can they be lowered easily? Does someone make a kit to do this?
__________________
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha XT225
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #4027
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder
 
The Kurgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I have been interested in the most recent generation Nighthawk since it came out. I nearly purchased one in 2002. Last night a friend let me ride his. As soon as I got on it I felt that I had to really lift my legs to get to the pegs. They were set very high for a standard bike. Also I was leaning forward more than I would expect on a standard. I hate to say it but the Nighthawk 750 may be too sporty for me. I know the bars can be raised easily. How about the foot pegs? Can they be lowered easily? Does someone make a kit to do this?
There are a variety of mods that can **slightly raise the bars up and forward (risers) and pegs down about 1 inch. However, it sounds like a standard is not in your calling, and you might want to look at cruising bikes. The strength of the Nighthawk is its versatility, and that very slight sporting position lends itself well to canyon carving and sportier handling.
__________________
2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- current
2001 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 2008 Tomos Arrow 'R'
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #4028
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
There are a variety of mods that can **slightly raise the bars up and forward (risers) and pegs down about 1 inch. However, it sounds like a standard is not in your calling, and you might want to look at cruising bikes. The strength of the Nighthawk is its versatility, and that very slight sporting position lends itself well to canyon carving and sportier handling.
I'm not sure I would rule it out just yet. If it could give it those mods it might be do-able. Where have you seen the footpeg mods? A google search didn't reveal much. I've also been looking at the new CB1100. I wonder how much different or not it's seating position is. From side by side pics the NH seems to have the peg in the middle of the clutch cover while the 1100 seems to be at the bottom. So it might have a couple inches more legroom.
__________________
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha XT225
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #4029
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder
 
The Kurgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I'm not sure I would rule it out just yet. If it could give it those mods it might be do-able. Where have you seen the footpeg mods? A google search didn't reveal much. I've also been looking at the new CB1100. I wonder how much different or not it's seating position is. From side by side pics the NH seems to have the peg in the middle of the clutch cover while the 1100 seems to be at the bottom. So it might have a couple inches more legroom.
I have to dig up the source on the pegs, but others have fabbed their own.

I also recommend this great site... it provides you with an idea of how modifcations affect ergos, specific to the Nighthawk 750:

http://cycle-ergo.com/
__________________
2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- current
2001 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 2008 Tomos Arrow 'R'
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4030
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 435
I’ve not sat on a CB1100 yet but according to http://cycle-ergo.com/ it is a bit tighter than the Nighthawk 750.

Nighthawk 750

seat height 31.9”
forward lean 8*
knee angle 83


CB1100
seat height 30.5”
forward lean 8*
knee angle 72 (smaller number means more bent)


Riding my Nighthawk I find the knee angle pretty relaxed but I just kept feeling I was sitting a little low and too far forward making my knees feel too high. My solution was ordering a Corbin seat which eliminates the slight forward slope and positions you a little more rearward. Additionally I had them raise the riders portion of the seat about 1/2 inch. Best $350 I’ve ever spent on a seat, it is extremely comfortable now all day long.


Stock




__________________
BMW: 2012 R1200GSA, 1993 R100R
HD: 2009 FLHT, 2004 FXDXI
Suzuki: 2006 DR650
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #4031
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder
 
The Kurgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
Oddometer: 349
Yeah the Corbon raised my seat height about 1 inch (for the better). I see you removed the Hondaline windshield. I did the same, but added it back later. No fun fighting the wind at highway speeds.
__________________
2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- current
2001 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 2008 Tomos Arrow 'R'
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #4032
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
...I see you removed the Hondaline windshield. I did the same, but added it back later. No fun fighting the wind at highway speeds.
I like riding it better w/o the shield, especially since the weather's been so nice. The only time I think I'd want it on would be when it's very cold or raining. It only takes a few minutes to bolt it back on so I may give it another try though.
__________________
BMW: 2012 R1200GSA, 1993 R100R
HD: 2009 FLHT, 2004 FXDXI
Suzuki: 2006 DR650
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #4033
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder
 
The Kurgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
I like riding it better w/o the shield, especially since the weather's been so nice. The only time I think I'd want it on would be when it's very cold or raining. It only takes a few minutes to bolt it back on so I may give it another try though.
I really like the Hondaline windshield for three main reasons: it's not handlebar mounted, as that limited real estate is used by my RAM mounts, it's a super rigid mounting solution, and it actually deflects most wind without looking like you have a barn door in front of you. :) It's also not too difficult to remove: just four easy-to-access bolts on the fork-mounted clamps (which I also upgraded).

I'm not sure if you're interested, but I modified the mounting hardware by drilling completely through the bar for each of the four windshield bolts. I added longer and better quality bolts, and used nylon threaded nuts to secure them in place. I had no less than two cross-threaded bolt holes, and while I was able to retap the threads, it left me wanting to improve them, so I did the simple mod. Now it's a snap to remove the windshield for occasional cleaning without worry about further cross-threading or damaging the soft Hondaline Allen bolt heads. It's hard to tell in this photo, but you can just see one of the bolts...

__________________
2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- current
2001 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 2008 Tomos Arrow 'R'
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180

The Kurgan screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 04:28 AM
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #4034
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
.... I modified the mounting hardware by drilling completely through the bar for each of the four windshield bolts. I added longer and better quality bolts, and used nylon threaded nuts to secure them in place....

Sounds like a good idea I may do that if/when mine ever get stripped.

LOL when I first looked at and bought my bike the owner had the windshield brackets mounted below the triple clamp, ON the fork tubes! The shield was covering the top of the headlight. I told him it appeared he had the brackets in the wrong location, they go up above the clamp. He said "so that's why I get so much air, it's too low!" After I bought it and got it home the first thing I did was remove and relocate it. I couldn't believe it didn't do any damage at all. Not the slightest scratch on the fork tubes or damaged fork seals where the sliders certainly contacted the bracket on their upward travel. It never ceases to amaze me what these bikes can tolerate!
__________________
BMW: 2012 R1200GSA, 1993 R100R
HD: 2009 FLHT, 2004 FXDXI
Suzuki: 2006 DR650
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #4035
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder
 
The Kurgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
Oddometer: 349
That almost defies logic!
__________________
2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- current
2001 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 2008 Tomos Arrow 'R'
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014