Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #3151
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynn85 View Post
So, Sportster riders, I have a conundrum. I've been pretty set on picking up an Iron 883 in Amber Whiskey ever since I rode the '11 Super Low last weekend. So I'm coming through Orange yesterday and stop at Waugh HD and they have a '12 Iron with 4,000 miles on it that I take out for a test ride.

It sucked! (Relatively). It didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as I remember the 883 SL being. It was really buzzy/vibey and hard to find a sweet spot for any given speed. What gives? Did I just have rose colored glasses on for the first one I rode, or is there some other difference between the SL and the Iron?

To make matters worse, I then stopped by the Yamaha dealer and rode a Bolt, just for grins, and it was phenomenal. The fit/finish/overall appearance is no where near the HD, but the ride was so much better. It was smooth, pulled harder, wasn't as rough on the backroads, etc.

I really like the look and the pedigree of the HD but the Bolt, which also comes in at $600 less after talking OTD prices, was the more enjoyable ride of the day.

Firstly, Sportsters seem to vary in ride quality depending upon how everything is set up. I have noticed a big difference in vibes between different belt tension and primary chain tension settings. Also since it was a used bike so it is possible that a motor mount was loose. I rode a bike with that very issue and once we tightened up the mounts the bike was nice and smooth.

The Bolt suspension is smoother plain and simple. So is the engine. This may sound strange but part of the reason I chose the Sportster is that it isn't refined. It's a machine that lets you know that it is a machine. It has a noisy valve train , it's not buttery smooth , it rides a bit rough, etc...It's the complete opposite of the various Japanese mounts that I have owned but it is very similar to the air cooled dirt bikes that I grew up on. Every time I ride it it's like hopping on a time machine that puts a big grin on my face. Buy the bike that gives you that grin and don't worry about brand.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #3152
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Fyi

I see a few people in this thread looking at Sportsters, so I thought I'd pass this along. I have no connection to the seller, it's just a smoking deal that if my garage wasn't full and I didn't already have an S, I'd jump on.

Panama City, Fl Craigslist

The '98 XL1200S is a Roadster on steroids. This year they went to a double spark and hotter cams, along with the standard S model adjustable forks and rear suspension.
Only 8k miles on this bike for $2500.

Someone, scoop this up!!

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #3153
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Buy the bike that gives you that grin and don't worry about brand.
That's pretty much it.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #3154
moment-Chaser
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My sporty. I love this bike!.

Pretty much stock.

moment-Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #3155
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,351
picked up some tires form the motorcycle superstore and this was in their catalog. sorry if it 205...and larrrrge.

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...ster-Based.jpg

it made me chuckle-
in the description it said his favorite thing to do was corner it at WOT. but the back tire is a me880- the hardest friggin touring tire you can buy. if he really likes to corner why not something sticky?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #3156
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post

it made me chuckle-
in the description it said his favorite thing to do was corner it at WOT. but the back tire is a me880- the hardest friggin touring tire you can buy. if he really likes to corner why not something sticky?
It looks to me that there is about 1-3/4" of tire on the edge that has never met the pavement.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #3157
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
picked up some tires form the motorcycle superstore and this was in their catalog. sorry if it 205...and larrrrge.

it made me chuckle-
It's like all the tourists who come here with their fancy curve machines.
You can buy or build a cool bike that's very capable, but if you can't even lean it over far enough to get rid of the chicken strips, well...

However, I would add that running an ME880 in hotter climates works pretty well during the summer on super hot asphalt.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #3158
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
It's ALIVE!!!!

A quick update on the 02 XL1200C I stole for $1500: I cleaned the carb and put in a rebuild kit, new fuel lines, new spark plugs, fresh oil and filter and a clean gas tank with some fresh premium and Sea Foam mix and primed things the best I could; and it fired right off
I let it idle and warm up while checking for any leaks, then promptly changed the oil and filter just in case. I cut open the old filter and ran a magnet through the old oil and they came out clean.

It's mechanically sound, now it's time to start taking care of all the parts like brake lines and caliper seals, wheel and head bearings and get this thing road worthy!

I'm going to wind up with a lot of parts for sale from the boxes of goodies I received with the bike - already have one PM who's first in line, after I let him see the list I'll start throwing stuff in the flea market....

More to follow!
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #3159
RicT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Glad to hear you got it running!

I need to be doing some maintenance on mine here in a month or so. I replaced the rocker box gaskets a couple of weeks ago and need to go through the brakes. I've got a 3.3 tank on the way to replace my 2.2 (I hate stopping for fuel) so I'll replace the fuel lines and run an inline filter when that gets here. The internet has been good so far but I definitely need to pick up a shop manual for the more in-depth projects.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #3160
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
have any of you guys tried these tires on your bikes?

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=54

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/img/pro...33-and-734.jpg

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #3161
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Similar, but not the same. I did the Kenda Kruz and was happy with it. Performance was far better than what the price had me expecting. I think I had the pair for about $150.
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #3162
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Similar, but not the same. I did the Kenda Kruz and was happy with it. Performance was far better than what the price had me expecting. I think I had the pair for about $150.
I tried those and found them dangerously slick. I used em up in the 7k miles they were on my bike and never considered them again.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3163
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by moment-Chaser View Post
My sporty. I love this bike!.

Pretty much stock.

My wife loves that bike, she already has two bikes, but I just can't get past the peanut gas tank. I could see it if you lived in an urban area, but in the sticks it's a lot of trips to the gas station.

Am trying to get her to look at a Street Bob. No denying it's a great looking bike though.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #3164
moment-Chaser
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yeah i started calling it the gas station hopper. But it's really not a issue for where i ride.
moment-Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #3165
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
My wife loves that bike, she already has two bikes, but I just can't get past the peanut gas tank. I could see it if you lived in an urban area, but in the sticks it's a lot of trips to the gas station.

Am trying to get her to look at a Street Bob. No denying it's a great looking bike though.
Granted, a tourer it's not. I guess that's why I find it "necessary" to have more than one bike... like golf clubs, different types for different circumstances and needs. Mine generally gets into the upper 70's on the odo before the low fuel light comes on. This is my "pretty Sunday afternoon" bike, and living in the SE, gas stations aren't really a problem. While a larger tank would be nice for the sake of convenience, this is my "pretty bike" and I do really like the way the 2.2 gal tank looks for this style. Like most things in motorcycledom, it's a compromise. And one I'm pretty happy to make since I have other more practical machines for those longer distances where range is a little more important. If it were my only bike, it might get a little old sometimes, but probably still not a deal breaker.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 10:40 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote