Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,274
Went for a mid-week fall-colors drive today, nice to beat the traffic - thru Redcliff, Leadville, Aspen, Glenwood Springs and home - the snow last week killed off the high country scrub oaks and there's some color left to come in the Aspens, but it was a fine sunny day and it's supposed to snow tomorrow night, so we figured now or maybe not at all.

The Car: Two year old gasoline, we fired it up, put the top down - had a minor glitch going down but it went OK, then back up after the end of the drive - I kept looking at my wife, saying 'what was I thinking when I suggested we sell this car? Damn thing ran just fine for a couple hundred miles.

I must have been out of my mind thinking about selling this car....

Top of Independence Pass:

Twin Lakes on the way up IP:

And on the way down towards Aspen:

Not a bad way to waste a sunny day - she does not ride at all, so a ragtop is as good as it's going to get - and we were not the only people with the roof down today - it got up to 77 degress but was 50 on the passes - had the heat going full blast to keep the feet warm.

We need new tires, but since it does not pay to buy them before you will use them, I'm going to park it with the almost worn out ones for one more winter, then next spring I'll get a set of nice new rubber for it. Pretty sure the wife will use this as her summer ride, and why not?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Puke

Hate to sound like a car snob but I have to agree. My first BMW was a '92 325is with some mods. Traded it in on an e46 which had more features but wasn't as fun to wring out.

After a streak of other cars I found myself comparing them to my BMW experience. Now I have an e46 sedan 330i and find it just suits me. Original window sticker says $39k and I paid $5500. I say I got the best deal.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
Hate to sound like a car snob but I have to agree. My first BMW was a '92 325is with some mods. Traded it in on an e46 which had more features but wasn't as fun to wring out.

After a streak of other cars I found myself comparing them to my BMW experience. Now I have an e46 sedan 330i and find it just suits me. Original window sticker says $39k and I paid $5500. I say I got the best deal.
I'm not generally a car person these days - I'm a pretty sedate driver, but this 328 is so comfortable and gets such great mileage, is a blast to drive, and at this point, costs us virtually nothing to own.

We don't need a navigation system, and it's so old that it does not have a CD player, but who uses those anymore anyway. It's got the old school trip computer. We wished for heated seats.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
I kind of have the same problem; I have a '04 325ci.

Very nice to drive (which is important because my commute is one hour each way), gets decent mileage and is reliable. I have two 4x4 trucks if it snows (it does at least once in a while here on the mountain).

But the last 2 miles to/from my house to the road are gravel. It is also wet 6 months out of the year. I am thinking maybe in a year or two of getting a used Audi TT to replace the BMW, but until then I will keep it.

I was thinking of using the small truck for commuting, but it has a lot of miles on it, is not fun to drive every day, gets only 20 MPG and not as reliable (clutch is starting to slip). I am going to put an MB diesel in it and keep it and the big truck for traveling when I retire in about 5 years, but until then I think I will stick with a car of some sort for a daily driver.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
It's almost old enough to graduate high school.

I guess if you can afford future maintenance then go for it.
Maintenance on new vehicles costs way more than older vehicles. Plus higher insurance rates. Plus huge depreciation. All for roughly the same fuel economy.

How can people afford to not have old vehicles?

Signed,
The dude that got an e30 for free off craigslist.

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I just did the water pump on my 330i today. Super easy job. went down to pick up a new serpentine belt. The woman at the auto parts place said she just had to get a waterpump for a newer BMW. it was electric and $1200

Mine was $37 so I will be keeping this pig on the road for a long, long time.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #22
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Maintenance on new vehicles costs way more than older vehicles. Plus higher insurance rates. Plus huge depreciation. All for roughly the same fuel economy.

How can people afford to not have old vehicles?

Signed,
The dude that got an e30 for free off craigslist.
But the maintenance intervals on new vehicles are a lot longer. My car uses synthetic oil but calls for oil changes only every 7500 miles. Plugs are supposed to be good for 100k. The coolant in my Scion is still good after 5 years.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

At this point, we won't even change the oil once a year except so as not to put it into storage dirty.

More of a fun car than a serious car - it's snowed here last two days so it's utility is limited to another couple weeks tops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: