Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Something to shine at night - least expensive Surefire weapon light??

I have a number of different LED flashlights - maybe a dozen or more not including the emergency lights that come on when the power goes out.

Most of these are the inexpensive variety, and I have yet to own one that I would trust as a weapon light - including the Streamlight which was one of the first compact LED lights I bought.

I am no longer a LEO, nor in the military, but I do think a weapon light would be a good thing to have in some situations (I know that sometimes it is better to not use one, but it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it). Right now I am relegated to having a light in one hand and a weapon in the other. I know that can work, but I would prefer a light attached to the weapon.

The problem?

I have yet to own one that didn't have a problem with the on/off switch. Invariably they will get into a state where they will either not turn on or not turn off - i.e., the switch gets stuck. Not a good thing when you are trying to illuminate your surroundings when it is 2AM pitch dark and you are wondering what that crash or bump in the night was and you have your trusty Glock in your hand (usually it was dirty dishes settling in the sink).

For a weapon light, when I want the light on, I want it on, when I want it off I want it off - either way, if it sticks in its current mode, it can prove to be "embarrassing".

Surefire is the only brand I trust to work reliably, but their cost ranges from about $60 to $600. I want a Surefire, but I want one that will work reliably as a weapon-light and not cost an arm and a leg. Reportedly Surefire does not recommend their $60 lights as weapon lights - the least expensive one they list as a weapon-light seems to be about $200.

Thoughts?

Experience?

No - I don't want some other brand - Surefire is the only brand I trust in this function.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,637
Was there a question in there?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Several questions.

But if you want an explicit one - what Surefire light is the least expensive that will work reliably as a weapon light?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,132
Just my $0.02, but I've never had issues with switches sticking on any of my Chinese cheapie flashlights, nor on my Maglites, nor on my RadioShack specials..

Onward..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: