Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #122
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
a better pic:

The Black looks really nice as well!

I pulled my Fly 150 out of storage and did some running around during our surprise nice day yesterday. It will be my scooter of choice until its empty and then it will get its storage fill. Depending on what type of Fall we have it will either get ridden a lot or not much at all until Spring.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #123
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

We had a picture perfect day today in Seattle. So without any delay I hopped on the Fly and did my stuff. I literally went here there and everywhere and this thing just refused to burn through a tank of gas. I am now at 450 km on the clock 90 km of that was done just this afternoon and the gas gauge only moved 2 of the tiny tiny little bars. Also on highway 2 I did a high speed run and managed to reach 70 MPH indicated before running out of road and had to slow down. I could tell I was quickly reaching the maximum speed but if I had more road I probably could have squeezed another 5 MPH out of it. The engine was busy but butter smooth at that speed.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #124
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,479
I think I had seen on Justgottascoot.com that 70mph was actually true 60mph. Either way, still 5mph faster than a Zuma 125.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #125
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I think I had seen on Justgottascoot.com that 70mph was actually true 60mph. Either way, still 5mph faster than a Zuma 125.
The speedometer does seem grossly optimistic. One of these years I will need to buy a GPS and test it for accuracy. Usually in a 35 MPH zone I have to travel at an indicated 43 MPH to keep up with the flow of traffic. So at an indicated 70 MPH I bet a true 60 MPH is about right.

After doing my stuff I swapped for the Agility 125 and took that to work. It has also sat for a month without being ridden and being on vacation and then record bad weather. It fired right up on first crank.

So its nice to see that the Typhoon, SportCity and now the Agility fire up on first crank even after sitting for a month.

Speaking of Typhoon I need to run over to the selling dealer and see what the story is with my horn? A few days before leaving I called them. They never got the horn in when first submitting the warranty claim so they did it again but its been over a month and I still have not heard anything. Really need a working horn on that bike or any bike around here. I have to use it at least a few times a week. Already needed it on the Typhoon but it no worky.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #126
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Finely went through my second tank of gas. Its a slow process made even slower by my vacation to Europe in September and then the worst weather imaginable on my return. The past week or so have been nice but now I am running the tanks out on all the bikes for winter storage. The Fly 150 was in rotation the past few days and finished off the tank.

The last tank I pulled off 80 MPG. This is actually down 3 MPG from my last tank. However I have opened up the throttle a bit more and did a few high speed runs this last tank. Also I may have put an extra squirt of gas or 2. Still 80 MPG is pretty good for a Piaggio product.

I never do a full winterize as we can ride all year here. However sometimes it really does get the best of you. All I do is top off the tank with stabilizer and plug in the battery tender occasionally. If we get a break in the weather no matter what the month it will get ridden. However its possible it may end up sitting between now and Spring. I will report my findings as things go along.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #127
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 731
i just hit 1k km on mine and it is broken in niiiice. it still doesn't out-chase the pcx 150, but it pulls its own weight GREAT now and is a ton of fun. now, to find a good aftermarket exhaust for it so i can annoy the neighbors. i could fit one of the remus exhausts for the european vespa lx 150 3-valve but OUCH at those import prices...

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #128
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Pulled this bike out of storage yesterday. Looked as good as the day I put it away and it fired right up first crank. Gotta love Fuel Injection!

Pretty much road it around most of the day. It is a smooth running scoot and certainly can spool up and go fast. However it really is a disappointment off the line after coming off my PCX125 and Super 8 150.

Only issue after storage was the clock was not working. I did not think it got that cold this past winter. Same exact problem I am getting on the clock on my Agility 125. Sometimes it will show a hint of life by one of the LCD's lighting up but then it will quickly fade away. I am wondering if they will both just mysteriously start working again when it warms up?

Probably tackle this project at some point over the summer. If its like other Piaggio products it does not look all that difficult but a lot of work for just a clock battery. Hopefully the replacement battery holds up for far longer then whatever cheap battery they used as OEM.

My first thought was getting it covered under the warranty but apparently not many have been successful. Probably be better that I just figure it out on my own as I will need to do it on my own one day anyway.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #129
bradleyk335
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Fly 150

Hi there! Thanks for all of the information on the Fly! I'm in Washington as well and looked at the Fly at CycleBarn. They were extremely helpful and very friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to buy the scoot from them.
Anyways, I am seriously considering buying one, but not sure if the commute I plan to make on it is going to be asking too much of it or not. I'll be riding 45-50 miles one way, avoiding highways, highest speed limit on the roads I'd be on are 50.

Does it feel like it will comfortably maintain a speed of 50-55 for a bit?

I'm trying to find an inexpensive/fun way to get from my home in the woods (Enumclaw) to the big city everyday and I have pretty much settled on a scoot.

My only other idea is a Vespa S150, they are quite a bit more expensive, don't have the new 3v engine, but the range of accessories you can get is much larger, and I prefer the look of the S over the Fly. CycleBarn still has a new 2012 S150 that they have discounted, but still more money than the Fly.

Thanks in advance!

Bradley
bradleyk335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #130
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyk335 View Post
Hi there! Thanks for all of the information on the Fly! I'm in Washington as well and looked at the Fly at CycleBarn. They were extremely helpful and very friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to buy the scoot from them.
Anyways, I am seriously considering buying one, but not sure if the commute I plan to make on it is going to be asking too much of it or not. I'll be riding 45-50 miles one way, avoiding highways, highest speed limit on the roads I'd be on are 50.

Does it feel like it will comfortably maintain a speed of 50-55 for a bit?

I'm trying to find an inexpensive/fun way to get from my home in the woods (Enumclaw) to the big city everyday and I have pretty much settled on a scoot.

My only other idea is a Vespa S150, they are quite a bit more expensive, don't have the new 3v engine, but the range of accessories you can get is much larger, and I prefer the look of the S over the Fly. CycleBarn still has a new 2012 S150 that they have discounted, but still more money than the Fly.

Thanks in advance!

Bradley
If you want to save about a grand off new Ride Motorsports in Woodinville has my trade for a somewhat reasonable price. It is technically used but in like new condition. It has 500km on it and the oil change in the engine was changed at the 100km mark as was the final drive. Both will need to be done again at 1,000 km but so would the new bike you purchase.

I really liked the Fly 150 and more and more I feel I should have kept it. Speeds from 50 to 55 should not be much of a problem. Much above that it will depend on terrain and weather conditions.

Off the line its a bit slow but once spooled up it moves pretty good. It has a lot of top end and it feels faster between 35 and 50 then it does between 0 and 35.

Fuel economy average was a very respectable 80 MPG. Piaggio's best effort yet.

If going new I would probably recommend the PCX150 and its similarly priced. Also nobody really knows how the new Piaggio's are going to hold up. In theory they should be pretty solid and a lot of people have good luck with them but a lot of horror stories as well. Sounds like you will be putting a lot of miles on it so reliability is a concern.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #131
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 731
i'd spend the extra cash and get the pcx 150.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #132
bradleyk335
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Fly 150 3v

Thanks for the responses! A friend of mine has a Helix and she let me take it out for a spin in the pouring down rain the other day and I was thoroughly impressed. I think I may end up searching for a late model, inexpensive example instead. I think it will manage a little better in the weather, and I also like that it's liquid cooled, not that it matters too much in the PNW anyways.
There seems to be very few reliability issues with those. Can't go wrong with a Honda.

It's just not nearly as cool looking as the Fly... But I think it'd be a more practical decision.

As for the bit about the car, my commuter is a Nissan Leaf, so it won't be my main means of transportation, but I'd like to give it a shot. Motorcycle parking downtown is less than half expensive with a bike vs a car.
Thanks!
bradleyk335 is offline   Reply With Quote