chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #1398
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
Yeah. Tons of street cred. Badass.
Thanks, but they never were used on the street! I can attest to the fact that Vanson makes some very burly leathers!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #1399
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,937
Well they've definitely seen pavement once.

I have a pair of vanson gloves I've crashed in more times than I care to admit, and aside from some scuffing and fading from use, they'll still HOLD up for a few more.
I gotta go back there and see what they have hanging on the used (cheap) rack.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #1400
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
Well they've definitely seen pavement once.
Many times, but only track pavement. Barnacle Bill also makes very thick and tough leathers, which is my current set. It is one place I don't skimp.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #1401
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Here is a handy chart for shock swapping. I run an '06 ZX6 shock on my SV1k, 6mm longer for cornering clearance and quicker steering and near perfect spring rate.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t.jpg~original
I keep thinking about a shock swap. You seem to like your ZX6 shock... What's your body weight? My whole deal is that I only weigh 155lbs, so the SV1k's stock spring rate of 8.0 is actually about ideal. (As far as I understand.)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #1402
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I am 225 without gear, so the 9.7kg spring is about right for me. The stock spring does seem about right for you, so not sure what you would gain with a swap? The stock SV1K shock is fully adjustable.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #1403
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 328
Need some advice.

I have an 02 SV650S that is just shy of 30k miles. 5k of those are mine.
I picked up the machine for $1800. All I've really done to it is $300 of carb work and a new rear tire this last weekend.

As far as I know it is all original except for a Yoshi pipe which sounds FABULOUS. The thing sounds like a 1000 instead of a six fiddy.

The GOOD.
I love the bike and the motor. It's not fast enough to kill me easily but it's torquey enough to schlep through the corners in whatever gear I happen to be in. I don't ride the speedometer, I ride the line, and it does great at that.

THE BAD.

I get beat to death on the interstate. I am 6' 4", 260 lbs, my torso is basically shaped like a door. broad and square. I can and have tucked down behind the fairing for hours at a time, but it's awkward.

Now granted I don't ride a lot of interstate, but it does happen. I did a combined 100 miles this weekend along with maybe a hundred other miles of boring two-lane and it was not enjoyable. However I only do these trips once in a while. I am very close to WNC and the machine excels at those types of curves.

More Bad: The suspension sucks. I weigh about 270 with gear. Because I don't ride *that* hard, the rear suspension doesn't really bother me on level ground or going up hill, but it's really not stable and can be unsettling. The front is mushy as all hell and I really have to baby it going into downhill corners. I have had the front end wash out on me before and I did not enjoy it.

I could afford something newer, a little bigger, and more comfortable. However I essentially like the bike, and buying used bikes that have not proven themselves to me makes me nervous. My question is this:

Suppose I wanted to redo the suspension and basically sink more money into a not-very-nice bike. What sorts of issues would I want to put my mind at ease over--engine or transmission related stuff--before I put more money in this bike? Or should I hold off on the upgrades, and search for a mid-displacement sport touring rig in my price range instead? For instance my buddy has a 2009 GSX650F that I like he has considered selling me.

All input appreciated.

because this is adv--the bike in question

Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #1404
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 328
Just remembered--if I install dropped pegs, would I expect to see a large clearance change? That would be an easy step to increase comfort.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #1405
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I am 225 without gear, so the 9.7kg spring is about right for me. The stock spring does seem about right for you, so not sure what you would gain with a swap? The stock SV1K shock is fully adjustable.
My thoughts exactly. Just wondering if there are other advantages, i.e., the overall quality of the shock, damping characteristics, altered ride heighth, etc.

Aw, who am I kidding, I"m not good enough to need it.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #1406
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Just remembered--if I install dropped pegs, would I expect to see a large clearance change? That would be an easy step to increase comfort.
My vote is for getting the suspension done right. It'll cost some $, but it's WELL worth it.
http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle-8975_Series.php
This is your cheapest custom built shock, and order yourself some race tech emulators and springs for the front. Cap that off with some 15w oil and you have a machine that's racetrack ready. Or any other corner. You can cruise svrider for a used shock too. A set up sv will really blow your mind as far as how well a budget bike can carve.

I'd rock the drop pegs on the street. My .02 is you shouldn't be riding THAT hard on public roads anyway. So comfort is king on the street. You could check the woodcraft link in my sig for clipons with risers if the bars are giving you fits.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #1407
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
I put Sonic springs up front and a ZX-14 rear shock in the back. It's not perfect and it's not as good as a custom suspension... But it's a night and day difference from the stock suspension, and for under $200, it fit my budget.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #1408
ColdForged
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I test rode a gladius the other day and I loved the engine and the power curve. I also was surprised to see the torque specs comparable to higher hp bikes. I tested the fz 09 and didn't like it. Probably due to my lack of experience. Are riders distaste for the gladius purely aesthetic
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #1409
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
I test rode a gladius the other day and I loved the engine and the power curve. I also was surprised to see the torque specs comparable to higher hp bikes. I tested the fz 09 and didn't like it. Probably due to my lack of experience. Are riders distaste for the gladius purely aesthetic

Yes.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #1410
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 598
i adore my 13 gladdy and get quite a few compliments on it from the brats and hipsters (and the young ladies) . not so much from old adv gents, though!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote