Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #11341
Okieboy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
All of the links shown so far with the exception of the Kouba Link are cast units. In the world of manufacturing metal products there are 3 common ways to make shapes out of metal. In this case because we are talking about aluminum I will refer to (1) Casting, (2) Machining, and (3) Forging. The least expensive and least strongest method is casting. Most of the Aluminum (Aluminium) parts on the 690 are cast as this is an inexpensive and quick way to make the parts and for many of the parts the strength is adequate. The Kouba links are machines out of a Solid chunk of Aluminum (Billet)...Billet is a term that gets thrown around as if it has magical properties...people like to point out their Billet aluminum parts...but Billet just means the part started life as one big chunk. The last method is to forge the part. Forgings can be hot or cold and this refers to the temperature range that the metal is heated to before it gets worked in the forging process. Forged aluminum parts tend to be the strongest because of the way the parts microstructure gets arranged and because of the way the material gets worked during the process. Forging can be very economical but it depends on the scale of production. When you only make a few parts it is not economical.

So that said Casting is the chosen method as the strength is usually good enough and its cheap. Most of our aftermarket parts are machined from a piece of Billet Aluminiumumum.

If there is a need for an uprated link then It would make sense to have some pieces machined from a solid chunk and choose an uprated bearing. While the rally ones are nice they are pricey and still cast.

Somebody convince Kouba to make a stock length so I can buy one.
Okieboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #11342
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Blink factor?

The axle is in a straight line with the fork on the SMR. On the enduro the axle is offset forward a few cm. The tripple on the SMR makes up for this difference some. Lukas can probably go into it more. Look at this thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698632
well if it serve no purpose other then looks, no point for me to swap out the original E R clamps
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #11343
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieboy2 View Post
Somebody convince Kouba to make a stock length so I can buy one.
You can help by sending him an email and expressing your desire to purchase one.

njkouba@ix.netcom.com

Edit:

I went back and found the parts list (created by Beaney) to upgrade the 690 with rally parts.

Pull rods from 450 rally bike
Rocker arm 660 rally bike ( requires machining)
Rear shock 450 rally ( Having a custom made Ohlins ttx made giving 305mm of travel)

Uller screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 02:08 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #11344
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
[QUOTE=MeinMotorrad;22476720]I hit a piece of concrete on the road at night doing about 70. I'm guessing the concrete was about 7 or 8 inches tall but really difficult to remember properly. Bike went airborne for some distance but landed straight and thankfully I was able to come to a stop without falling.

The front wheel is buckled but I can't see any other damage to the forks or steering. Should I be worried about other damage?...QUOTE]

MM,
In situations like that I later discover that my underwear has been damaged... .

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #11345
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
The front wheel is buckled but I can't see any other damage to the forks or steering. Should I be worried about other damage?
Big sharp hits like that can damage steering head bearings, so try to get the front wheel off the ground and check for any notches or clicks or play in the steering.

Also your forks may be out of alignment. If you know how to check this you should or have the dealer check.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #11346
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
Does a 2012 SMC R triple tress serve any purpose if I fit it on E R, well other then blink factor.
The offset is different because the forks are different. I think the steering will be sharper- you may or may not want that.

Also if you are running any steering damper, I have been told that it not work on the SMC triple trees. I'd love to know whether it does or not.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #11347
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
All of the links shown so far with the exception of the Kouba Link are cast units ...
Problem is we do not know what alloy they are using.

You can easily triple the strength of a part with an appropriate alloy. Pretty easy to jump from 25,000 to 75,000 psi (707x T6) with an appropriated selection.

Drop forging will add up to 15% and extra life.

Heat treatment is critical to many aluminium alloy.

Paul Jr
Old 10-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #11348
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've been trying to get in touch with the nearest KTM dealer who is in a place called Boe, about a 60km ride from me, but no luck so far. Maybe Google translate isn't so great - pas de fumée française.

Wheels: Anybody tried these. I'm wondering if they're stronger. I've seen some Excel wheels (Wheels with hubs machined the lightest on the market. Wheel with strapping, hub and spokes. - That's the google translation), for 369 Euros but I don't know anything about them. Will I have to get bearings also? I've never bought a new wheel before.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #11349
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
?..
Wheels: Anybody tried these. I'm wondering if they're stronger. I've seen some [URL="http://www.shopktm.fr/produit.asp?Lng=5&NuC=7&DoC=ktm&Prod=921&NProd=Ktm-Roue-avant-Excel-noire"][COLOR
If that is the ST-X, that is the one I have. I replaced the OEM 1.85 with the DID ST-X 1.6. Used same tire as OEM. I just bought the rim and used existing spokes and hub and relaced.

http://www.didchain.com/LXSXDirtstar.html

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #11350
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've been trying to get in touch with the nearest KTM dealer who is in a place called Boe, about a 60km ride from me, but no luck so far. Maybe Google translate isn't so great - pas de fumée française.

Wheels: Anybody tried these. I'm wondering if they're stronger. I've seen some Excel wheels (Wheels with hubs machined the lightest on the market. Wheel with strapping, hub and spokes. - That's the google translation), for 369 Euros but I don't know anything about them. Will I have to get bearings also? I've never bought a new wheel before.
The stock rims are 36 spoke rather than 32 spoke, so if you are re-using the original hub, you need a 36 spoke rim. If you are using a complete wheel, then the number of spokes is less of an issue. You need only be concerned about axle diameter, hub width, spacers, and rotor mount.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #11351
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Problem is we do not know what alloy they are using.

You can easily triple the strength of a part with an appropriate alloy. Pretty easy to jump from 25,000 to 75,000 psi (707x T6) with an appropriated selection.

Drop forging will add up to 15% and extra life.

Heat treatment is critical to many aluminium alloy.

Paul Jr
Yes a good point. We have a tool in the lab at work that will tell the material makeup. Might be able to sneak a piece in

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #11352
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Hi I'm on the lookout for a new bike and at the moment it looks like the 690 with RR evo 2 tanks is at the top of the list. I will be buying secondhand so are the any year models I should avoid or be looking out for ? I see a lot of you guys are changing your exhaust. Is this just to get away from the CAT ? If so has anyone removed the CAT from the OE and welded it back up ? (I did this on my x challenge and it worked great) if I did this would the bike need to be remapped ? ( on my BMW it never) . Are the any known faults I should be looking out for when going to see 690 ? What are they like to work on ? Iv never had a KTM so it's all new to me.
Sorry for so many questions
Thanks kito
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #11353
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Just took my new to me 08 out for a shakedown run. Holy crap that's fun. One problem is a leaky gas cap. Maybe its all the wheelies

What is the best solution for that?
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #11354
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Just took my new to me 08 out for a shakedown run. Holy crap that's fun. One problem is a leaky gas cap. Maybe its all the wheelies

What is the best solution for that?
Buy a KLR if you need a solution for the wheelies.
Rally Raid & KTM Twins has a solution for the fuel cap.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #11355
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Buy a KLR if you need a solution for the wheelies.
Rally Raid & KTM Twins has a solution for the fuel cap.
I've owned a couple KLRs.. I don't think I'll be revisiting that any time soon. This thing is fun!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote