Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #586
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,906
I just finished my first ride on my new tires, an Avon AM26 Road Rider 120/80V-17 Front & a Michelin Commander II 140/90B-15 76H Rear. WOW!!!!! I can't believe how good they feel & handle. It's almost like riding a different bike. I tested them on one of my favorite sections of local twisties, Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock to Grandfather Mtn. The bike felt so smooth & neutral handling. It was almost effortless transitioning through the tight turns. The bike felt much lighter & more nimble than I'd even remembered on new Dunlops.

I'd mounted the Avon & tried it a couple of days ago and was pleased. Today I got the Michelin mounted. I couldn't believe the difference.

The old tires were Dunlop K555 front & rear. I installed them a couple of years ago, but don't recall the mileage. I'm thinking it was around 17,000 now have almost 25,400. That's 8,400 miles and was my third pair of Dunlops.

I've read that the Avon & Michelin will go a lot farther. Michelin actually claims this tire will go 2-2.5 times, more than the competition. So that would be 17,000 - 21,500 miles! That's hard to imagine, but I've heard they really will on the yahoo forum.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #587
PeeCee_a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
....& a Michelin Commander II 140/90B-15 76H Rear.....
Be careful when you ride your bike at more than 80 miles per hour with that tire size !
Years ago, when a 140/80-15 was not available in time, I had another type of Michelin 140/90-15 rear tire mounted on my PC800.
When I rode faster than 130 km/h the tire started to rub against the rear fender and finally lost the air all of a sudden !
You can for sure imagine that it was no fun to stabilize the bike at that speed - it took all four lanes of the interstate to keep the bike upright....
PeeCee_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #588
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeCee_a View Post
Be careful when you ride your bike at more than 80 miles per hour with that tire size !
Years ago, when a 140/80-15 was not available in time, I had another type of Michelin 140/90-15 rear tire mounted on my PC800.
When I rode faster than 130 km/h the tire started to rub against the rear fender and finally lost the air all of a sudden !
You can for sure imagine that it was no fun to stabilize the bike at that speed - it took all four lanes of the interstate to keep the bike upright....

Thanks for the warning. I will have to devise a way to check if it rubs the fender. Maybe I can remove the wheel and mark the fender with paint or tape, etc. and ride a bit and see if rubs away. It would be a lot easier to mark the tire with an indicator coating.....maybe just a stripe of paint would work? What do you think?

The clearance looked fine when I installed the tire, but it was supported on the centerstand, hanging unweighted. That could definitely change with a load and/or at speed.

There are no four-lanes up here, but there are a lot of cliffs, and trees, and stone....
Old 09-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #589
e.Rock
No Guts, No Story

Oddometer: 208
Eek

A few years ago, my good bud FatBack wanted to ride down to the Fall BMW Rally in Missouri, but I was in between bikes and didn't have any long-haul rides in my garage. He offered me his wife's PC with a bit of a smile, but I'm not one to turn down a ride. It was short notice, so we only had a few days, but we took off after work later that week.

It was fall, and got darn cold that first night. I was pretty cold when the temp dropped below 40, but the weather protection was really nice otherwise. We also encountered several hours of rain on the way home, and the fairing kept most of it off of me until we got into a city in Iowa and had to stop for lights. Having never ridden the bike before this ride, I have to say it was by far the easiest bike to ride that I've ever experienced.

We rode the Great River Road all the way down and arrived at the Rally in late afternoon on Saturday, just as the sun was setting. We scrambled to set up our tents before darkness fell, then started walking around the rally in search of a beverage or seven.

We eventually fell in with a group from the Chicago area and had a fun evening trading stories, beers and jokes and thoroughly pissing off their neighboring campers. As the sky lightened and the fire darkened, they invited us to ride with them on their way back north in the morning. We had a good time that night, so why not?

After a few hours of sleep, we were up getting packed as soon as the sun hit our tents. FatBack had his kit loaded before me and went off to find the FIB group on his GS. A few minutes later I warmed up the PC and rolled up to FatBack and the group leader chatting at their campsite. As I pulled up and took off my helmet, I watched the other guy stop mid-sentence as he realized who I was. He looked at me, back at FatBack, back at me and finally said:

"A Pacific Coast? You guys didn't tell me you were gay!"

e.Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #590
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeCee_a View Post

Yeah, you can also burn holes through the plastic walls of the trunk.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #591
Bruincounselor
North Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Yeah, you can also burn holes through the plastic walls of the trunk.
I did that on my '89 with a helmet in the left side. The liner was changed by Honda in '90 so that is less likely to happen on newer models.

Bruincounselor screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 01:17 PM
Bruincounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #592
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 110
tire sizes?

I'm still trying to figure out what all the hub-bub is with the Dunlops. That's what I'm rolling on and I've done quite a bit of riding on them this season. I have experienced the little bit of wavering that happens on grooved concrete but I cant say its been a major issue. Forward motion, centrifugal force and gyroscopic precession (more on that here: http://youtu.be/ty9QSiVC2g0 ) consistently perform as they should and I and the bike maintain a smooth path forward. No worries. I've come to expect it and just roll with it. I usually worry about gravel and sand in corners, which I'm reasonably sure almost no tire can compensate for.
"We should all be riding the bike that puts the biggest smile on our face. Fast, slow, heavy, light, 1cyl, 2cyl, 3cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl, American mfg., Japanese mfg., European mfg., it's all good if it makes you smile, no?" - Roadscum
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #593
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

I switched from the Dunlops because I only got 8500 miles from a pair. I'd heard good things about Metzelers, but they were too expensive to consider.

Recently I'd heard of some guys mounting a car tire on the rear and getting about 40,000 miles. I considered trying it, but it sounds like a hassel to get mounted, and I just wasn't sure I'd like the way it handled in the twisites.

Then I just read about the Avon front, being a good long lasting tire. Think I read 12,000, or maybe 19,000 miles (can't remember). And one guy ran it with the Michelin Commander II, which he claimed to get over 23,000 miles. I was skeptical about that, but Michelin advertises that it will go 2-2.5 times farther than the Dunlop, so decided to try it.

That's how I ended up with the Avon/Michelin combo. Neither brand makes both a front & rear for the PC800.

As I said "I'm thrilled with the performance of them so far."

Ask me about them again, when you're ready to buy tires and I'll tell you how I like them at that point.

The Dunlops are not bad tires, but I now realize that they are not "great" tires. There's a very noticeable difference.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #594
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
Congratulations e.rock on your coming out..........On a lighter note, I liked Dunlops but the last set didn't last as long as previous Dunlops so I tried something different. I have the Avon on the front and a Kenda on the rear. After 8000 miles they both still have alot of rubber.....About a year ago my rear differential started leaking oil. Not much just a small drip. I've never heard of others having this problem? That's a little project I'll save for winter along with shocks.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #595
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,529
I am pretty sure the antifreeze is supposed to be on the inside!

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #596
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC-Rider View Post
I am pretty sure the antifreeze is supposed to be on the inside!

It appears the motorcycle could no longer hold it and pissed all over itself and the road.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #597
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
I hope that's just a hose?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #598
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
My guess is the lower hose
k5mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #599
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.Rock View Post
A few years ago, my good bud FatBack wanted to ride down to the Fall BMW Rally in Missouri, but I was in between bikes and didn't have any long-haul rides in my garage. He offered me his wife's PC with a bit of a smile, but I'm not one to turn down a ride. It was short notice, so we only had a few days, but we took off after work later that week.

It was fall, and got darn cold that first night. I was pretty cold when the temp dropped below 40, but the weather protection was really nice otherwise. We also encountered several hours of rain on the way home, and the fairing kept most of it off of me until we got into a city in Iowa and had to stop for lights. Having never ridden the bike before this ride, I have to say it was by far the easiest bike to ride that I've ever experienced.

We rode the Great River Road all the way down and arrived at the Rally in late afternoon on Saturday, just as the sun was setting. We scrambled to set up our tents before darkness fell, then started walking around the rally in search of a beverage or seven.

We eventually fell in with a group from the Chicago area and had a fun evening trading stories, beers and jokes and thoroughly pissing off their neighboring campers. As the sky lightened and the fire darkened, they invited us to ride with them on their way back north in the morning. We had a good time that night, so why not?

After a few hours of sleep, we were up getting packed as soon as the sun hit our tents. FatBack had his kit loaded before me and went off to find the FIB group on his GS. A few minutes later I warmed up the PC and rolled up to FatBack and the group leader chatting at their campsite. As I pulled up and took off my helmet, I watched the other guy stop mid-sentence as he realized who I was. He looked at me, back at FatBack, back at me and finally said:

"A Pacific Coast? You guys didn't tell me you were gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.... from an FIB...

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #600
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
So do I!!!!!'
The lower hose looked good and was still attached.
I wish I knew, but it is in the shop now.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote