Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 388 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #7351
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
That's what the bike is for.....to go around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Ssssh!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #7352
CHICKENHAWK
window licker

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #7353
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,227
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #7354
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
That is the look I'm going for, but with skinnier tires. I also have the 7.3 with the 3.55 gears. What kind of mileage are you getting? Also, do you have any sort of lift? The PO put some super sketchy spring spacers on the front of mine, but I need smaller tires before I can take them off.
Checked my tire size today; 265/70 17's

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #7355
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
Thought I posted in here but I suppose not. Picked this one up a couple months ago. A little erm...rough around the edges, but the deal was right. Anyone run 235/85 tires on these? The wide 35's are killing me and my mileage.

Good news is that putting smaller tires on will get you better MPG, probably. and the junkyards are full of white vans so you can get fenders that haven't been sawzalled.

FWIW, I use 265/75/16 on my E350, and I have the maxx lift 2" spacers under my springs from the mid nineties F350. Same as those listed for the E350, but were cheaper. Tossed out the bolt extender. I used the 1.5 inch lift blocks for the rear from AutoZone, but any kit will do back there. It's tall enough I don't scrape the bumper getting around in urban Utah. Laugh if you want, but I used to drag arse going into a lot of parking lots. It's enough that I drag less off road too, for what it's worth.

It also required taking it down to a place that was willing to get creative with the alignment. It still wears the tires a bit more on the inside, but it's to be expected. It's minor now, compared to when I tried to figure it out on my own. Not worth it. Let the shop handle the ball joint adjustments, IMO. You will also either need longer shocks (hard to find for this application for me) or use the shock extenders for the post on the top. I would go that route next time, as I used some early nineties Bronco shocks which were long enough, but are not stiff enough.

Unless you just want to return it to stock size, which IIRC would have been 245/75/16, or somewhere around there. If you don't need the clearance for occasional off road use, or crazy steep driveways like we have, stock is fine I think. It's a lot easier, no doubt.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #7356
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Also, what's going on with the bumper? It looks like it's been lowered, or pushed out, or something?

Another thing, if you are thinking of updating the headlights to the other style, most of the Ebay units are kind of junky. I am using a set now, and they look okay, and the light output is barely better and they don't adjust worth a darn. I wouldn't buy them again.

And if your seats are tired, the OEM seat rails on the ford seats are pretty easy to adapt to most other seats. I used seats from an Uplander, which had a good feel, were a bit taller, and have armrests. They look like they could have been stock, and are hundreds of times better than the vinyl seats it used to have. The seat belt receivers swapped right over too, very minimal modifications required. All fit under the GM plastics, and they have little cargo nets on the side.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #7357
occasionaldirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
2003 Dodge

Last year of short wheelbase(and Ram vans), only short one I could find with the 318 and 4-spd. Gutted it inside and built a custom bed inside, new paint, removed running boards, tint and drapes, rear batteries, and rims.

Before:

After:

occasionaldirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #7358
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Holy moly! That's a short van! Out here, it's all loooong vans. For soccer teams, er, right. It looks real clean in there, reminds me of a boat interior, for some reason. Well sorted and uncluttered.

Ah, right. A horrible van pic.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #7359
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,038
Saw this on the street today. Very clean.

And this.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #7360
occasionaldirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
moto carrier

Hey Hayduke, what make/model is your rear carrier? I've been kicking one of those around to haul a 500lb streetbike on roadtrips. Not sure if my 1/2 ton can handle it, will be checking with a suspension shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Rode down to Colorado Springs today to pick up my new-to-me van from Neduro. 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel is even better than I remembered from driving it during the '07 Baja 1000. I. Am. Stoked.
occasionaldirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #7361
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,038
Saw this one at Horses to Horsepower

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #7362
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,136
Nicely done; looks great. I have a soft spot for Dodges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasionaldirt View Post
Last year of short wheelbase(and Ram vans), only short one I could find with the 318 and 4-spd. Gutted it inside and built a custom bed inside, new paint, removed running boards, tint and drapes, rear batteries"]
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #7363
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,853
Note to self, if you are camping in your van, make sure the kiddie locks are shut off.....

At NHMS for track days. 52 degrees and drizzle, have an extension cord to the pit garage, a quartz heater, coffee maker, and some bagels. I can stay here for days.....

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #7364
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,111
Too bad you don't have any donuts. You could email Loudon's finest and have them bring a slim-jim.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #7365
nnamssorxela
―\(°_o)/―

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Also, what's going on with the bumper? It looks like it's been lowered, or pushed out, or something?

Another thing, if you are thinking of updating the headlights to the other style, most of the Ebay units are kind of junky. I am using a set now, and they look okay, and the light output is barely better and they don't adjust worth a darn. I wouldn't buy them again.

And if your seats are tired, the OEM seat rails on the ford seats are pretty easy to adapt to most other seats. I used seats from an Uplander, which had a good feel, were a bit taller, and have armrests. They look like they could have been stock, and are hundreds of times better than the vinyl seats it used to have. The seat belt receivers swapped right over too, very minimal modifications required. All fit under the GM plastics, and they have little cargo nets on the side.
Lots of good info! The van has definitely been used and used hard, but also carelessly. The previous owner has done all the "modifications" you see which includes;
-Spring spacers
-325/65r18 on 18x9 wheels
-gold and black pool ladder sheet metal screwed to the rear door.
-Ladder racks bolted through the roof on one side, and welded to the other
-black erm racing? hood stripe
-spaced out front bumper using longer bolts and probably 200 washers
-bent and hacked fenders
-Straight through exhaust exiting under the double doors

He used to store stuff on the roof and climb up the ladder and walk on the roof to get it so the roof is all caved in. I think I can pop most of it back up, but between that and the holes, creases, and rust that the ladder racks caused, I've toyed with just chopping the roof off and welding a new one on. It is a work van though, and I need to keep reminding myself that it will never be perfect.

The seats are trashed and that will be my next expenditure after all of the routine maintenance that the PO skipped.

It looks like the 235/85 was an option stock on the trucks and maybe vans, but is a little taller and narrower than what was commonly found on them. With that size I might be able to get away without a lift.

Until then I'll be cleaning out the mess of an interior. There was all sorts of junk in there including children's Barbie books, ~30 razor blades, and an ipod with all sorts of music in a language I don't understand. Thinking some fake astro turf will really set things off.

-alex
nnamssorxela is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: