Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #91
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I like these.
TEAM Airbike.........I built a TEAM Himax back in'96 and put 100hrs on it. Flew great. Mine had an N # so I could log the time.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #92
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
i'd love to have an ultralight myself. i'm partial to the Belite aircraft. something about the "image" or resemblance to a conventional aircraft just seems to suit me. regardless... i'm in the same boat many others are/were in. i had managed to secure 30hrs in a C150 before family needs outweighed the personal goal.

the really bad thing is that i guess i'm the type of idiot that wants the "share" the ride a little, so i dont want to throw down a $15,000 investment on a personal toy that absolutely noone else in my family would be able to enjoy with me.

wife has it in her head that if she kicks the bucket, i'll have a Belite or a Sonex kit in the garage before the grass roots in good on her grave. lol...
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #93
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,121
I lust after an Excalibur,

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #94
racermx66
Husqvarna

Oddometer: 404
Saw this flying directly over my house yesterday. I thought the Navy had cancelled this project, but I guess not. They were going to use blimps for observation. This came out of Lakehurst NJ where the Hindenburg crashed.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #95
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
Deans BMW, just curious, why that particular make/model? (I don't know much about them or their competitors. Did get to play with a Challenger II CWS once and thought it spiffy).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #96
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermx66 View Post
Saw this flying directly over my house yesterday. I thought the Navy had cancelled this project, but I guess not. They were going to use blimps for observation. This came out of Lakehurst NJ where the Hindenburg crashed.

They're also toying with rigid air ships, blimps or whatever you want to call them for air mobilization. Something that has like twice the cargo area of a C-5. Not very fast but it doesn't have to be when you're just carrying supplies or vehicles.

I'll have to see if I can find the info on that again. I read it in a magazine somewhere.

Found it

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/high-...ilt-california
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #97
racermx66
Husqvarna

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
They're also toying with rigid air ships, blimps or whatever you want to call them for air mobilization. Something that has like twice the cargo area of a C-5. Not very fast but it doesn't have to be when you're just carrying supplies or vehicles.

I'll have to see if I can find the info on that again. I read it in a magazine somewhere.

Found it

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/high-...ilt-california
Thanks for the find. Maybe I'll be seeing some interesting blimps around!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #98
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 662
I just happened across this thread. Your Ultralight looks amazingly like what I used to fly back in the 80's. The name of mine was " phantom" it was made by a company called Ultralight Flight Inc. Is yours a newer version of it?
Sure does bring back memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #99
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I just happened across this thread. Your Ultralight looks amazingly like what I used to fly back in the 80's. The name of mine was " phantom" it was made by a company called Ultralight Flight Inc. Is yours a newer version of it?
Sure does bring back memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
This is basically a copy of the Phantom but with a center stick instead of a side stick. Lots of the parts are interchangeable.

Phantoms are actually still being built out there. In fact it's the only one out of even the copies that are still being Built.

http://www.phantomaero.com/
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #100
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Deans BMW, just curious, why that particular make/model? (I don't know much about them or their competitors. Did get to play with a Challenger II CWS once and thought it spiffy).
An easy build, a very good safety record, the landing gear is better than the challenger, you can get the owner of the company on the phone, advise and help are easy to get and those that have flown it are very happy with it.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #101
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Cool, and very informative thread, all around!

Well, regular GA planes are out of my price range, for now, so ultralight flying will be the next best thing, for us.

My podnuh in crime snagged a slightly crunched 80's model King Cobra, last year, and we have proceeded to rebuild it, as extra pocket change trickles in.

The PO, messed up the landing, and smacked it in pretty good, from what we heard. Broke the axle tube, prop, rudder cables, and bent a few other odds n ends. The sails were in pretty bad shape, too.

Little by little, we've replaced the broken, or badly bent items, replaced the sails, and are getting it back together, with fresh hardware, and fasteners. We've done some modifications here and there, to modernize it over how it was originally configured.

It has a Rotax 532, that seems to run like a champ, so far.
We would taxi it occasionally to keep it exercised while we were getting the sails replaced. Next time the engine runs, hopefully will be a first flight!

Still have to do some wiring, and finishing up, among other things, but it's coming together.

Another cool thing, the owner previous to the one we got it from (who owned it for about 22 years, iirc), registered it, so it has an N number! We're both PPSEL, so that, too is in our favor.

I'm getting the itch to be airborn again.
It's been too long.

I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #102
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

That's awesome man. Looks like a ton of fun :). Looks a lot like a quicksilver. You sure that's not a 503?

I'm probably going to replace my sails next year. I'm NOT looking forward to that haha. How has it been for y'all?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #103
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Good eye.
It is a knock off of a Quicksilver.

We got ahold of the original owner last year, and got the scoop on it's history.
It is, per him, a 532.
Pulls like a freight train, when you pour the coal to it, I do know that.

As for the sails, boy, oh boy oh boy...
Tail feathers were fairly straight forward, yet took some effort to get together, but no problems in the end.

For the wing sails, the first set was ordered by the original owner, and returned because they were slightly too short.
My bud thought we could remedy that, so he went ahead and purchased them, at a greatly reduced price.
Those were white with a red stripe down the length, to match the rudder.
Let the fun begin...
Round 1 ding, ding...
With no instructions, much less anything on google for a bird this old, we muddled our way through it.
Well, turns out the sails were too short, but not only that, the airfoil was wierd, once assembled.
It was like it was stretched too tight in certain bays, and flattened out the airfoil between a couple of the ribs.
That pretty much rendered them useless.
We figure, in the end, these might have been made for the single seat Cobra.

Round 2...
He orders up the red white and blue set you see, now.
Let's go patriotic, why not, looks good...
First assembly, right wing.
We get it 99% complete, but man is this thing going together so tight.
Last rib to slip in the pocket, goes 1/3 of the way in, then proceeds to rip through it's pocket. Phuck!!!!!!!
Called the guy up that made them, (Who coincedentally made the original too short set), and told him of our predicament.
He said, no problem, send them back, and he'd let them out, and fix the rib pockets.
Come to find out, he had sewn in the trailing edge pocket backwards.
He corrected them, and replaced the ripped rib pocket.
Turn around was about 2 weeks.
About a week to get them there, and back and a day or so to make the repairs.

Round three...
Third time's a charm, and by now I'm an expert at reskinning an ultralight wing...
They fit the wings perfectly, with just the right amount of tension for all the ribs, and spars.
The airfoils look right, with no wierd shapes this time.

The sail maker was great to work with, and didn't hesitate to admit to, and mend his mistake.

He'll most likely be the guy who makes the sails for you, when you get ready to redo yours.
There's not very many people that do them, these days.

In the end, once we got the correctly sized sails, it went together ok.
This bird has spoilerons, vs. ailerons, so there are slight differences, but I would think would be fairly similar in basic construction.

We put the leading and trailing edges in first, then the wing tip pole, to get the end stabilized. Then we put in the 3 inner braces, then all the upper, then lower ribs.
There may be a more effecient way of doing it, but this worked for us.
The last wing took about an hour and a half or so to do, from start to finish.

We're getting the N numbers made and put on the rudder, now, and once that's done, we'll be in the home stretch for final assembly.

We're redoing how the rudder was controlled, to match a modern quicksilver.
The nose gear steering sucks, and will be going to a Quicksilver front end, eventually.
I have some electrical system work to figure out, and install, without sacrificing too much weight in the process.
I want provisions for a radio, and GPS, plus certain instruments need power, as well as adding strobe lights, and maybe a landing light.
We're getting close.

I_FLY_LOW screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 06:50 AM
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #104
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Thanks for the quick write up. Seems doable enough when it comes time to do mine. I have a buddy that we help each other out with big stuff or stuff to heavy to lift by one person on our planes. Should be easy enough for the both of us to get done. I know his are coming due sometime in the next year or two also.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #105
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
One of the advantages of the PPC is being able to stuff the wing into a bag and get it out of the weather and UV rays. My wing is 16 years old with over 1400 hours and is still in great shape, still passing the porosity and strength tests. Someday 20 years from now, or if I get it tangled up in the prop, I'll buy a new one and attach it in 10 minutes.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: