User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
especially if you don't know what you're doing.
Thats no fun.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
XpressCS OP
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,029
As I said, not going to buy a new computer. Please stop suggesting it.

I need help repairing this one. Not just going to throw $500 down the drain because $80 in parts fried.

So here is the motherboard I need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dell...item53fbd60551

And this is the power supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300W-for-Del...item1c322cad68

Is this simple plug and play?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me

XpressCS screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 07:40 PM
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post

In theory it is.

In practice it's not.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
Tweaker

CNET Review Date: 7/06/09

The good: Extra expansion card slots; room for two hard drives.

The bad: Behind-the-times features; slow performance; too many better, faster systems available for just a few more dollars.

The bottom line: You might find a better deal from Dell if you configure an Inspiron 537s online, but this retail only model has little to recommend it. From slow performance to a weak feature-set, this budget slimtower is outclassed by too many other retail desktops.

This retail version of Dell's Inspiron 537s is the most inexpensive PC in our back-to-school desktop round, but that doesn't let Dell off the hook for offering such underwhelming features. We don't expect the world for $480, but when your specs look outdated next to not only your current competition, but also systems from six months ago, we can't help feeling disappointed. We recommend you pass this system by. It's not worth your money.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
XpressCS OP
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
In theory it is.

In practice it's not.
Of course not

I do enjoy a challenge from time to time I must say...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #21
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Of course not

I do enjoy a challenge from time to time I must say...
You did click on the smiley, right?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
XpressCS OP
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
You did click on the smiley, right?
I did. Was there supposed to be something useful in there?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Well, reading through can often give you links to other resources if you need the help.

Or,

you can document your own procedure, post it up and bask in internet glory!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
Tweaker

Quote:
I'm curious why you're here. You don't seem willing to listen to anything you are being told. What exactly do you want to hear?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
As I said, not going to buy a new computer. Please stop suggesting it.

I need help repairing this one. Not just going to throw $500 down the drain because $80 in parts fried.
Just for the record, the overstock.com link posted by Johnny Lotto was for a computer costing $129. That's still almost twice what you're planning on spending, but it's a lot less than $500. That particular deal is sold out now, so this is mostly water under the bridge.

Quote:
Yes, until/unless you power it up and it still doesn't work right. Then you get to figure out whether you need to change BIOS/EFI (don't know which this machine uses) settings, got a bad part, or have some other failure that you haven't noticed yet. Even if all the hardware is working okay, you might still not have something that boots, because we have no way of knowing whether or not the data on your hard disk has been compromised.

I'm not trying to scare you, or badger you, with this; I'm just laying out how it is. There's basically only one way to plug things in on these components (they do this on purpose ), so you'll probably get everything hooked up right. It might work at that point. Or it might not, and nobody here is going to be able to provide more specific guidance than that.

I hope it powers on immediately, and that you have no data corruption.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
XpressCS OP
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I'm curious why you're here. You don't seem willing to listen to anything you are being told. What exactly do you want to hear?
Help fixing what I have, not what you want me to buy. Am I being crystal clear here, or was there some confusion? If you don't want to help me fix my i537s, then that's fine, but don't come into my thread and start de-railing it.

I am FULLY aware the i537s is NOT a high end machine, however it serves its purpose INCREDIBLY well and we are not going to just throw it away. This is a family computer, and the ONLY option is to fix it, especially since there was only $75 in parts that I needed to buy.

--------

My brother worked for Geek Squad years ago and is rather computer savvy when it comes to internals. After sending him some pictures of the fried component on the motherboard, he seems to think that a short may have occurred in the front face USB slots, causing my issue. I am inclined to agree with him after seeing this:

Looks as though someone decided to rip their chord out and fuck up the pins inside, causing the short. Here is the actual component that fried on the motherboard:

The green USB Port runs up to the front USB panel. The small black box directly to the right of the green USB plug is what went up in smoke.

Me and my brother are assuming that the power supply got taken out when that fried. Even if it didn't, I feel safer putting a new PSU inside rather than risking the old one. Now that my brother has began to help out (albeit through text message) with my conundrum, I think we can establish smooth sailing as soon as the components arrive.

I will keep you guys posted on my adventures with repairing my POS Dell

Old 10-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
Dude, you do realize that every penny invested into "fixing" this pos turd, is every penny thrown out in the garbage. Do yourself a favor, and don't fix it. This is not a car, this is not a motorcycle. You will never get any return on the dollars you invested to fix this. As a matter of fact, you will be charged a fee to dispose of it... it, and the CRT monitor you have been lugging with you since the late 90s.... Please stop this nascence. Somebody posted a shit box for $129... Not a bad deal, considering you will pay much more when you find out your DDR ram is burned, and 1Gb stick is $49.99... Seriously, and Obviously..

Take the advice, go buy a new $199 laptop from BestBuy with your brothers geek dont-know-squat discount........
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
XpressCS OP
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Dude, you do realize that every penny invested into "fixing" this pos turd, is every penny thrown out in the garbage. Do yourself a favor, and don't fix it. This is not a car, this is not a motorcycle. You will never get any return on the dollars you invested to fix this. As a matter of fact, you will be charged a fee to dispose of it... it, and the CRT monitor you have been lugging with you since the late 90s.... Please stop this nascence. Somebody posted a shit box for $129... Not a bad deal, considering you will pay much more when you find out your DDR ram is burned, and 1Gb stick is $49.99... Seriously, and Obviously..

Take the advice, go buy a new $199 laptop from BestBuy with your brothers geek dont-know-squat discount........
Please, DO NOT post in my threads again. You have the official designation as the first moron to be added to my block list.

You guys strike me as assuming I am technologically challenged. I am nothing of the sort. Stop assuming I am. I just need occasional help here and there.

BTW, not that you have any fucks left to give (and for that matter, neither do I), none of this shit is being repaired by anybody but me. No disposal fee's, no 90's tech monitors, none of that garbage. Besides, I have additional sticks of RAM lying around, NIB infact.

XpressCS screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 10:03 PM
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:

My brother worked for Geek Squad years ago and is rather computer savvy when it comes to internals. After sending him some pictures of the fried component on the motherboard, he seems to think that a short may have occurred in the front face USB slots, causing my issue. I am inclined to agree with him after seeing this:

[image snipped]

Looks as though someone decided to rip their chord out and fuck up the pins inside, causing the short.
Do you plan on abandoning the front USB slots entirely, cutting out the damaged one (and perhaps installing a powered hub on the other), or purchasing replacement USB hardware for the case?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Please, DO NOT post in my threads again. You have the official designation as the first moron to be added to my block list.

You guys strike me as assuming I am technologically challenged. I am nothing of the sort. Stop assuming I am. I just need occasional help here and there.

BTW, not that you have any fucks left to give (and for that matter, neither do I), none of this shit is being repaired by anybody but me. No disposal fee's, no 90's tech monitors, none of that garbage. Besides, I have additional sticks of RAM lying around, NIB infact.
Well, you did set the floor of our expectations kind of low with your original post.

I know you just came asking for specific information and assistance, but seriously, several of the inmates here have been working on computers for ages and can probably remember when you had to solder your own upgrades onto a system board. The advice being offered comes from not just the strict dollar cost of your plan but from personal experience involved with the time and frustration of chasing down errors and replacement parts.

But, since your time costs you nothing and it's only the family computer you might actually have fun.

But you know what's going to happen if you end up needing something else and go over budget...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: