Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #166
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynch View Post
I come to Advrider because it best fits my riding style. But I have primarily rode Harleys....

I just wish Advrider would create a forum for Harley riders. The misinformation and constant 100mph whining about oil leaking, no power, ill handling, pirating and loud pipes is killing my buzz.
Great post for my morning coffee.

Totally agree on the need for a Harley forum. Suggested it years ago when they started the *gasp* scooter forum but the request fell on deaf ears. I hope this changes as more people here seek info about them. Sure there are plenty of HD forums on the Web, but Advrider attracts much more cosmopolitan, open-minded riders who have a solid grasp of grammar and spelling...

twinrider screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 07:12 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #167
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Short answer, get a Twinkie. They've been around since 99, all the kinks worked out by now, dealers stock most serviceable items (perhaps all depending on dealer) huge and growing aftermarket that easy to source items, etc...

The Evo is a good engine, but soon it's going to be like the Shovel in that parts sourcing will be more difficult than the newer engines.

Also you'd be getting a generation newer electronics, technology, design, etc..

This is my opinion, and I'm sorry your thread got shit all over.
You looked in a catalog lately? Dennis Kirk? JP Cycles? Everything you need to rebuild a Shovelhead that's been out of production for 30 years. Everything you need for Evo too. I suspect it'll be that way for a long time to come.
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #168
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Great post for my morning coffee.

Totally agree on the need for a Harley forum. Suggested it years ago when they started the *gasp* scooter forum but the request fell on deaf ears. I hope this changes as more people here seek info about them. Sure there are plenty of HD forums on the Web, but Advrider attracts much more cosmopolitan, open-minded riders who have a solid grasp of grammar and spelling...

Oh yes, ADV is very cosmopolitan:

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #169
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
You looked in a catalog lately? Dennis Kirk? JP Cycles? Everything you need to rebuild a Shovelhead that's been out of production for 30 years. Everything you need for Evo too. I suspect it'll be that way for a long time to come.
I'm fully aware that they are rebuildable. Parts for these engines are in both of those catalogs.

My POINT is that the newer technology (not just the engine, but the WHOLE DAMN BIKE) will be better appreciated by the consumer.

Case in point, I had to have an FXR. So, I bought a 94, which left me stranded twice. Both times for electrical issues. A newer bike would have a better chance of this type of shit not happening. Needless to day, I traded it in for a Victory.

Bikes make it down the road on more than just the motor.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #170
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynch View Post
I come to Advrider because it best fits my riding style. But I have primarily rode Harleys. But I don't go on poker runs, or ride just on weekends or do a ton of touring highway miles, and have a driveway that Evan McGregor and Charlie have on their bucket list...not to mention my commute. (though the spilt concrete the truck had over after pouring my barn foundation helped tremendously, I'm not going to be selling my Suburu to get to the main road anytime soon)

I just wish Advrider would create a forum for Harley riders. The misinformation and constant 100mph whining about oil leaking, no power, ill handling, pirating and loud pipes is killing my buzz.
I would settle for the anti-Harley crowd just showing a little civility. Every time there is a thread that involves Harleys, the same crowd shows up making the same comments. Then when you call them on it, they say that you don't have a sense of humor and need to lighten up.

How about just showing a little respect for other forum members? I've said this many times, there are bikes I don't like, but I don't go on every thread about them and piss and moan. I ignore them and don't try to ruin it for the people that like them. Just be adults about this and follow the rules:

"Furthermore, we have had it with the mocking dickery that happens in certain brand X threads that pop up in RW. Back in the old days when there were a few hundred inmates, taking jabs in jest was part of the fun of being on here, but as we have grown and grown and grown, the little village is now a mega city and we need to keep things under control or else every forum becomes a mini Jo Momma. Bashing and mocking might be fun for those who do it, but it isn't fun for the rest of the inmates who are trying to ask questions and reply to them, or are trying to help solve an issue with an inmate’s bike. We have made some changes in the Road Warriors forum to address this concern as we strive to improve the signal to noise ratio in this forum.

We would like to see brand X (whatever brand it may be, Harley, BMW, Victory, Ducati, etc..) owners or potential owners be able to ask their technical questions without being mocked at every turn. If you have the urge to mock riders for their choice of bike, head to JoMomma and let loose there. The pirate jokes, the snob jokes, the cruiser jokes the squid jokes… take them all to JoMomma."

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #171
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
I'm fully aware that they are rebuildable. Parts for these engines are in both of those catalogs.

My POINT is that the newer technology (not just the engine, but the WHOLE DAMN BIKE) will be better appreciated by the consumer.

Case in point, I had to have an FXR. So, I bought a 94, which left me stranded twice. Both times for electrical issues. A newer bike would have a better chance of this type of shit not happening. Needless to day, I traded it in for a Victory.

Bikes make it down the road on more than just the motor.
Sorry for your trouble with that FXR Matt, one of my favorite motorcycles and I'll probably always have at least one... In the case of the shovels yes I'd agree, they can require more attention than the later models. In the case of the later year (89-2000) Evo's I don't really believe that's the case as compared to the twin cams. Sure, if the bike's been chopped up or modified electrics and mechanicals can be really a bastard to chase down and fix but a bone stock or close Evo from those years ought to be as reliable as anything out there. Anyway, ain't it great to have choices??
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #172
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Sorry for your trouble with that FXR Matt, one of my favorite motorcycles and I'll probably always have at least one... In the case of the shovels yes I'd agree, they can require more attention than the later models. In the case of the later year (89-2000) Evo's I don't really believe that's the case as compared to the twin cams. Sure, if the bike's been chopped up or modified electrics and mechanicals can be really a bastard to chase down and fix but a bone stock or close Evo from those years ought to be as reliable as anything out there. Anyway, ain't it great to have choices??
Oh for sure. I really did like that FXR, and I'd still have it if it hadn't pissed me off.

Nothing against Harley but I have a policy: If something leaves me stranded once I fix it and forgive it. Twice and it's out the door.

Believe it or not I had my 96 Sportster blow up on me TWICE (bad tuning on two different engine configurations) and both times it managed to get me home.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #173
reduceReciprocation
n00b

Oddometer: 1
tolerance of .01in = 1/4mm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Terrible writing, and full of shit. I don't dispute that the TC has some issues (particularly the earlier versions), but the author of that page is just full of it.
I've seen pleanty reports of run-out James Russel cannot possibly be onto anything right ?

More kool-aid sir ???
reduceReciprocation is offline   Reply With Quote