Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyprat View Post
Harleys are a maintenance nightmare too.
And you base this on ... the other numb nutz on the forum that have never owned a Harley but somehow know all about them?

Modern Harley's are no more unreliable than any other bikes. Frankly, the other bikes I've owned have cost me more than any of my Harley's.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,969
Size-wise, get the Heritage.

Regarding the era, I'd look for a 2000 or newer. You'll get the counterbalanced twin cam engine rather than the unbalanced Evo.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Ericson38
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I rented a 2010 Heritage softail and a 2010 RK classic (one day rentals). The softail may look better and be more comfortable at the stop light seeing as it is low to the ground and the 96B engine has no real vibration at idle. But, once moving over 20 mph, the 96A engine in the RK (rubber mounted) was as smooth, and at 70 mph the RK had no buzz at all, unlike the 96B engine. The RK handled better, and without the counterbalancers, the engine had less mechanical noise coming from under the tank. I would have put softail bars on the RK though, if I had one. Try them both first.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
It's not a big jump in terms of handling the bike. But, there are more comfortable models for those over 6'. The Touring chassis bikes, especially the Road Glide works superb for taller folks, as does the Dyna Wide Glide. I think you'll find the Heritage a bit cramped.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
Gyprat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmn View Post
And you base this on ... the other numb nutz on the forum that have never owned a Harley but somehow know all about them?

Modern Harley's are no more unreliable than any other bikes. Frankly, the other bikes I've owned have cost me more than any of my Harley's.
I once considered buying a full dressed Harley and did a lot of research on them. Many of my friends own them. I rode many Harleys too. Lets not turn this into another Harley bashing thread. OP is looking for a bike to fit a tall rider. Being tall is a major handicap. I'm 6'3".All Harleys and most jap bikes I looked at had very little leg room and very low seats. BMWs were the worst in that respect.

2012 KLR650.
2006 VULCAN NOMAD 1600D.

Gyprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyprat View Post
I once considered buying a full dressed Harley and did a lot of research on them. Many of my friends own them. I rode many Harleys too. Lets not turn this into another Harley bashing thread. OP is looking for a bike to fit a tall rider. Being tall is a major handicap. I'm 6'3".All Harleys and most jap bikes I looked at had very little leg room and very low seats. BMWs were the worst in that respect.
I'm 6' 4" and have had to modify almost every bike I've owned to fit comfortably. Harley touring models are some of the easiest to modify for big dudes. Kits to move the floorboards out or forward are cheap and available. Lots of different shifters and brake pedals available in many lengths. Probably the best ready made saddle selection from the MoCo and aftermarket suppliers. Huge handlebar selection and the MoCo has all the cables, wiring and hoses in stock to fit any set of bars.

I never could get my Vulcan right, hence it went bye bye. I've never had a problem getting a Harley to fit comfortably. Here's my current Glide Limited with extended shifters, extended shift pegs and the floorboards kicked out 3/4". Fits my size 15's perfectly.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #22
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Bike for a tall rider, alternate take:

Or any of the Victory touring bikes for that matter. They really make a big guy feel normal. I ride my Vision, then I tried out my Dad's 2014 Street Glide and it actually felt small compared to my Vision
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I had a 05 heartage, great straight line bike. All softails have the softtail wobble. You won't notice it till your in a long sweeper. Mine scared me so bad once on trip I went straight to the dealer. Dealer said not to worry about it. I would never haver another bike with the shocks underneath.
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post

Or any of the Victory touring bikes for that matter. They really make a big guy feel normal. I ride my Vision, then I tried out my Dad's 2014 Street Glide and it actually felt small compared to my Vision
Way to futuristic and swoopy for my old luddite ass

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
I had a 05 heartage, great straight line bike. All softails have the softtail wobble. You won't notice it till your in a long sweeper. Mine scared me so bad once on trip I went straight to the dealer. Dealer said not to worry about it. I would never haver another bike with the shocks underneath.
Actually, they don't . I have a 2007 fatboy and my brother has a 2009. I've never had anything that even resembles a wobble. I've ridden solo, two up, loaded for trips, all kinds of terrain and roads. Same deal with a 2004 Ultra.

I'm not saying NO HARLEY has it, but they don't all have it.

2007 Harley Fatboy
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Those are cool bikes. I was riding out to Sturgis a couple of years back on a Softail, going about 90 and three of these went flying by me. They were going well over 100.

2007 Harley Fatboy
Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
Way to futuristic and swoopy for my old luddite ass
But Victory motorcycles aren't all starship looking:

I have ridden with a big guy who has a Cross Country, and he loves it.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #28
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
But Victory motorcycles aren't all starship looking:

I have ridden with a big guy who has a Cross Country, and he loves it.
Yes. Not just the Vision, but all the Victory touring bikes have that "big bike" feel. I just bought the Vision because I wanted something with a full faring, adjustable windshield, cruise, excellent touring manners, and its different.

Do yourself a favor and at least check one out.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #29
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,967
Quote:
Yes. Not just the Vision, but all the Victory touring bikes have that "big bike" feel. I just bought the Vision because I wanted something with a full faring, adjustable windshield, cruise, excellent touring manners, and its different.

Do yourself a favor and at least check one out.
I think the typical Heritage owner enjoys the Harley look. I think the typical Victory owner is looking for the non-Harley clone....something 'different', as you say.

I don't think there are many cross shoppers.

That will be left to the new Indian labeled bikes. For those who can get over the fenders.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #30
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,704
Don't do it

The Harley Heritage is not a big guy bike. I bought one new off of the showroom floor back in '03 and I stand 6'-5".

The bike was great and I kept it for eight years but my toilet had a higher seat height than my Heritage. Harley has been making bikes for over 100 years but they still don't seem to realize that bikes lean when they turn, my Heritage would scrape chrome bits off at very moderate lean angles.

The BMW GS that I ride now is a much better fit for me with it's 36" seat height. As I did, you need to figure out what works for you. Good luck.

Me and my Heritage.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote