Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #271
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
You are right. My comments were about the CVO Road King. It puts the Bagger style first. Way too much bling for someone looking at racking up miles.
And I'm wondering how much bling is too much for racking up miles?
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #272
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieatomkinder View Post
Not all of the bikes or riders fall into this -

I've since started riding a HD that I think looks great in dirt/road grime etc.

YMMV - 2009 Roadking 50K+ miles / 2013 RoadGlide - 32k miles since Jan 2013
Those Road Glides really seem to wear the bug splatters and mud well.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #273
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
My wife and I both ride. I have a cafe racerized SV1000S and she's on a 2003 Z1000. We've both had cruisers, I, a 2002 Roadstar and she, a 2002 750 Honda ACE Shadow. This Tuesday is our 10 year anniversary and we're seriously dancing around the idea of new bikes.

We started the day at the dealer that we've bought all our bikes from. They used to only carry the Asian big 4. Now they carry the entire Piaggio line and Victory. They had the Moto Guzzi California 1400 non touring model in silver and black. Had never seen the silver before and thought it looked pretty good. I've read a lot about this bike and was interested in seeing it person. At first glance, it's a gorgeous bike and looks better in the flesh vs. pictures. Just sitting on it in, I loved the riding position. Definitely cruiser, but commanding. My wife sat on it as well and also like the riding position. Then she starting noticing some styling/design things that started souring our perception. Sat on a new VMax and it didn't gell w/ me. Road Star Warrior 2009 leftover, and .....eh. Sat on a Yamaha Raider, and while I really liked it, I couldn't see myself on one. She wanted to check out a few Vespas as well, and then we were on to an HD/BMW dealership where I've recently test ridden a 2013 1200GS wethead and HD Street Bob. Very much liked both for different attributes.
From the pictures we've seen, we're both fans of the Switchback, but had never seen one at a dealer. While the dealer didn't have one. There was one in the parking lot, and both of us really liked its look. Classy classic look. I sat on a Street Glide and while I love the look and what it offers, it just seems massive. They had lots Street Bobs, Street Glides/Specials, Fat Boys and Sportsters. Nothing else jazzed us much and headed up to another nearby HD dealer.
Sitting outside as you walk in, they had a 2014 Road King in Mysterious Red Sunglow,......and it was absolutely gorgeous.
[IMG]2014 Road King Mysterious Red Sunglow photo 14-hd-road-king-bs_zps866546bf.jpg[/IMG]

So many people knock HD for many reasons, but I've always had the best dealership experiences at their dealers. Talked to a great sales guy that was a true rider, and in talking to him, seemed to value very similar attributes of functional, comfort, performance needs and so on. We chatted about various bikes and I'm very curious to see what one is like. While my wife fell in love with the bike shown above, I fell in love with the Whiskey Amber & Silver combo. Taking it off the stand, it felt lighter than I thought it would be. We're both off on Tuesday and have a test ride scheduled at 10:00AM. Can't wait!!!

rauchman screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 07:52 PM
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #274
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
And I'm wondering how much bling is too much for racking up miles?
I don't know for sure. I've been a member here for a long time and ain't going nowhere. Let's challenge each other to find one in the next 10 years that has over 10,000 miles on it and pm each other when we find one.

It's not that the CVO RK is not capable, I just don't see potential buyers as the type to put a lot of miles on this bike.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #275
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 2,929
Oh my, beautiful, still maintains the soul of a '56 Duo Glide. Seriously considering...I mean seriously, trading my '13 RK for a new '14.

I currently have as perfect a do it all stable as I have ever had,

'13 650 Husky Strada
'10 R1200GS 30th Anniversary
'13 HD RK

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #276
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know for sure. I've been a member here for a long time and ain't going nowhere. Let's challenge each other to find one in the next 10 years that has over 10,000 miles on it and pm each other when we find one.

It's not that the CVO RK is not capable, I just don't see potential buyers as the type to put a lot of miles on this bike.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mpo/4057973673.html 12K

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcd/4081756519.html 50K

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/4031665042.html 29K

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3980669755.html This guy only lists it as less than 14K...

Honestly it didn't take 10 years to find these, about .29 seconds according to google... Harley riders ride.. Even those with chrome! Whoa! What a revelation!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #277
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mpo/4057973673.html 12K

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcd/4081756519.html 50K

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/4031665042.html 29K

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3980669755.html This guy only lists it as less than 14K...

Honestly it didn't take 10 years to find these, about .29 seconds according to google... Harley riders ride.. Even those with chrome! Whoa! What a revelation!
You proved me wrong. I will expect to see The 2014 CVO RKs on the road loaded for traveling. Too Pimpy for me but evidently not for the people buying them. The older CVOs seemed to hold a lot of value even the one with 50,000 miles.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #278
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You proved me wrong. I will expect to see The 2014 CVO RKs on the road loaded for traveling. Too Pimpy for me but evidently not for the people buying them. The older CVOs seemed to hold a lot of value even the one with 50,000 miles.
They do. Harley riders do ride. it's true you'll see twenty year old bikes with less than 5000 miles on them but I suspect that's true of any brand. I'm looking at a ten year old KLR right now that has less than 4K. I'm not sure what these people are saving them for??
Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #279
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
I fell in love with the Whiskey Amber & Silver combo. Taking it off the stand, it felt lighter than I thought it would be. We're both off on Tuesday and have a test ride scheduled at 10:00AM. Can't wait!!!

Yeah, the new RK in that color combo is freaking gorgeous. There was one on the floor when I picked up my RG.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #280
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
You are right. My comments were about the CVO Road King. It puts the Bagger style first. Way too much bling for someone looking at racking up miles.
While I kind of agree with you, 2 out of 3 of the Harley's in the 2013 Iron Butt Rally this summer were CVO's. That competitive rally is 11,000 miles in 11 days, and they cross the county a couple of times. They ain't gentle on their bikes, or their bodies. It's a grueling event.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #281
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
They do. Harley riders do ride. it's true you'll see twenty year old bikes with less than 5000 miles on them but I suspect that's true of any brand. I'm looking at a ten year old KLR right now that has less than 4K. I'm not sure what these people are saving them for??
I never said Harley riders don't ride. My comments were about the 2014 CVO Road King that I did a test ride on only.. I thought it is too frilly for a serious rider to spend money on. Have you seen it? The bike under all that metal flake is a solid bike. Personally I would spend a lot less money and buy the standard Road King. At least the CVO has ABS which the standard models seem to be hard to come by.

I have ridden my '09 Street Bob over 31,000 miles in 41 months. I do have four other bikes I ride too. You see very few Dynas for sale with over 10,000 miles. You don't have to post craigslist adds to prove me wrong I know some do ride their Dynas.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #282
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My wife and I both ride. I have a cafe racerized SV1000S and she's on a 2003 Z1000. We've both had cruisers, I, a 2002 Roadstar and she, a 2002 750 Honda ACE Shadow. This Tuesday is our 10 year anniversary and we're seriously dancing around the idea of new bikes.

We started the day at the dealer that we've bought all our bikes from. They used to only carry the Asian big 4. Now they carry the entire Piaggio line and Victory. They had the Moto Guzzi California 1400 non touring model in silver and black. Had never seen the silver before and thought it looked pretty good. I've read a lot about this bike and was interested in seeing it person. At first glance, it's a gorgeous bike and looks better in the flesh vs. pictures. Just sitting on it in, I loved the riding position. Definitely cruiser, but commanding. My wife sat on it as well and also like the riding position. Then she starting noticing some styling/design things that started souring our perception. Sat on a new VMax and it didn't gell w/ me. Road Star Warrior 2009 leftover, and .....eh. Sat on a Yamaha Raider, and while I really liked it, I couldn't see myself on one. She wanted to check out a few Vespas as well, and then we were on to an HD/BMW dealership where I've recently test ridden a 2013 1200GS wethead and HD Street Bob. Very much liked both for different attributes.
From the pictures we've seen, we're both fans of the Switchback, but had never seen one at a dealer. While the dealer didn't have one. There was one in the parking lot, and both of us really liked its look. Classy classic look. I sat on a Street Glide and while I love the look and what it offers, it just seems massive. They had lots Street Bobs, Street Glides/Specials, Fat Boys and Sportsters. Nothing else jazzed us much and headed up to another nearby HD dealer.
Sitting outside as you walk in, they had a 2014 Road King in Mysterious Red Sunglow,......and it was absolutely gorgeous.
[IMG][/IMG]

So many people knock HD for many reasons, but I've always had the best dealership experiences at their dealers. Talked to a great sales guy that was a true rider, and in talking to him, seemed to value very similar attributes of functional, comfort, performance needs and so on. We chatted about various bikes and I'm very curious to see what one is like. While my wife fell in love with the bike shown above, I fell in love with the Whiskey Amber & Silver combo. Taking it off the stand, it felt lighter than I thought it would be. We're both off on Tuesday and have a test ride scheduled at 10:00AM. Can't wait!!!
So, I test rode this bike yesterday, along w/ a 2014 Fat Bob and 2005 used Super Glide.

Coming off a sub 500lb SV1KS, the Road King felt very large. Having said that, it balanced very well, had great breaks (2 fingers on the break lever worked) and decent suspension. Also had a very comfy riding position. I'm 6' w/ 34" inseam and 34" arms. By the way, the Mysterious Sunglow red was absolutely beautiful. The engine really had some charm to it. Loved the vibration at idle and how it smoothed out once under way. My test ride included some back road twisties and was surprised how easily the bike transitioned left/right. Riding it, I felt I had to purposeful in how I was riding it. I was very aware of the weight during the entire test ride. Right after riding the Road King, I hopped on a Fat Bob. 3things immediately stood out while piloting it out of the dealer parking lot. First, the bike was considerably lighter (somewhere around 100lbs lighter), which made it very easy to ride. Second, the breaks absolutely sucked! I started going into panic mode when I wasn't stopping as I got to the end of the parking lot. Full hand mash on the break lever was required for full stop. On the Road King test ride, there was a section where I was slinging the bike back and forth. Tried the same thing, in the same spot on the Fat Bob and was surprised that the Road King transitioned easier than a bike weighing 100lbs less. And thirdly, I'm not a fan of forward controls. I like the floor boards of the Road King, but did not like the forward controls of the Fat Bob.

All in all, I thought the Road King was a beautiful bike w/ a lot of character. Very capable handling, very nice brakes and pretty good suspension.....just 100 lbs heavier that I'd like. I'd probably get used to it, but not something I really want to have to adapt to.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #283
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
So, I test rode this bike yesterday, along w/ a 2014 Fat Bob and 2005 used Super Glide.

All in all, I thought the Road King was a beautiful bike w/ a lot of character. Very capable handling, very nice brakes and pretty good suspension.....just 100 lbs heavier that I'd like. I'd probably get used to it, but not something I really want to have to adapt to.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts had you ridden a Switchback. If in most ways, it is a slightly smaller Road King and ~100 lbs less, it sounds like a great choice.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #284
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I would be interested to hear your thoughts had you ridden a Switchback. If in most ways, it is a slightly smaller Road King and ~100 lbs less, it sounds like a great choice.
Funny you mention that, as the Swithback was THE bike that my wife and I were both hoping to test. I checked a multitude of dealers' online inventory close by and........nothing. Not one. While at the dealer where I had tested the Road King, we mentioned that we were really looking at the Switchbacks. The dealer mentioned that the Switch is a slow seller. I don't get it. To my wife and I, it's a great looking bike that offers a lot. I've only seen one in an HD parking lot that was owned. Thought it looked great. Much classier than most of the models. We did find a dealer in PA that had 3 of them used. I may be taking a trip to PA this weekend. If they have a new one in Blackened Cayenne, I'm in trouble.

I have read that some Switch's experience a vibration at the rear exhaust mount. Not engine related vibration. I understand this is totally alleviated running an aftermarket exhaust. That is the ONLY gripe I've read.

Amazing that no dealer locally has this bike on their floor.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #285
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,468
Your situation was exactly like mine,
and is why I ended up with a switchback.
Try a few out, they're terrific.

Seriously though, try a few;
While the vibration is inherent,
some are far worse than others.
The first one I test rode was awful.
2nd, not so much.

At any rate,
the vibration can be fixed for about $3,
or free if you have a clevis pin and some rubber washers on hand.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote