Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #17806
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I can just see it now. A National Tope Standards Committee made up of three civil engineers, and five politicians will convene and design the "National Standard Tope". Then ten road crews each consisting of six workers, a dump truck, a jack hammer and a burro will fan out across Mexico with instructions to remove each and every existing tope and rebuild them to the new standard. At some point each of these crews will have to have a squad size unit from the military assigned to protect them from angry locals and politicos. Twenty years from now they will have completed 25 % of the project. But of course, I am an optimist.
The Mexican Politicians would have to steal something from the project. They and everyone in their family would end up with 50 Topes each in the driveways to their houses.

A video to go with my rants!

SR screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 04:53 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #17807
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,071
The politicians would own the dump truck, jack hammer, the burro and the concrete factory all of which they would lease/sell to the government.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #17808
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Sjoerd, it ain't gonna work, man! You don't realize how dysfunctional the whole political apparatus is here these days. There are striking teachers shutting down the schools, the highways, the offices, the streets, and there are striking cane workers closing down the casetas if the teachers have not already done so. The entire libre between Puebla and Veracruz via Cordoba and Orizaba was shut down for an entire day last week. Imagine the 401 being closed between London and Toronto by striking teachers or posties.

The entire country is po'd at things and the hurricanes didn't help. Acapulco recovered from Paulina back in the mid-90's because it was still a decent tourist destination. Acapulco has been off the map for cruise ships and a lot of tourists for the past few years. Recovery will be minimalist at best. This isn't the rebuild of Cancun after Wilma. That came from millions poured in by a government that seemed to care. This time nobody is holding out much hope for the rebuilds. Topes are the least of the worries when there are entire portions of highways missing. This is long term work.

Everybody has learned to live with the tope, just like learning to live with the corruption. It is endemic, you might stamp it out in a small area for awhile, like near TC's place. But it is like bus plunges, they are always going to be happening and innocent people suffer. Maybe Sonora is faster, but it took 3 years for the state government here to build one bridge and they've been working on another for 8 years now.

Taking the topes out of Mexico is like taking the manteca out of the frijoles, yes, both are bad for you, but not everyone will agree on it. It is like herding cats to get a window replaced in a school here, nobody is going to make topes a priority and it would likely take millions of pesos and hundreds of bureaucrats to simply agree on the agenda for a meeting to consider the amount of degrees in one of the angles the topes would have.

I paid out $4,000 pesos because I cracked my oil pan on one and have lost a filling out of a tooth because of one. They are evil, but beloved by some, and nothing is going to change that.

As always, sadly, it is the Harley riders who suffer the most.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #17809
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,009
Yes the cop can be bought off but the driver still has to stop
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #17810
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

I may start a guerrilla movement to re-work the topes. A few guys, some picks, a few sacks of concrete and we are good to go.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #17811
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I may start a guerrilla movement to re-work the topes. A few guys, some picks, a few sacks of concrete and we are good to go.
Shhh! Damn it! The Zapatope movement has been strong for some time here. Sub-Comandante CEMEX and Comandante Apasco are changing the pick handles as I speak. I gave them some hot water, to get them swelled up faster, besides, I'm in enough already. Sadly, el mercenario Anahuac is no longer with us and Cruz Azul is incomunicado.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #17812
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Love it MikeMike.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #17813
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Love it MikeMike.
Laughter! It's the best medicine! I tried it with Rocky Mountain Oyster, but he didn't like it. Now that I have his attention maybe he'll remember to send me the PM he mentioned! Actually, RMO does have one of the best deadpan sense of humour I have witnessed. At first I thought it was just because he's old.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #17814
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
My sentence is up today at 13:00, no more floating jail house, Mexico here I come....
GS, how long are you in Maz til? I'll come visit you. Lets go hit Las Changueras! Maybe run up to Cosala?

SR screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 09:30 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #17815
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
I can just see it now. A National Tope Standards Committee made up of three civil engineers, and five politicians will convene and design the "National Standard Tope". Then ten road crews each consisting of six workers, a dump truck, a jack hammer and a burro will fan out across Mexico with instructions to remove each and every existing tope and rebuild them to the new standard. At some point each of these crews will have to have a squad size unit from the military assigned to protect them from angry locals and politicos. Twenty years from now they will have completed 25 % of the project. But of course, I am an optimist.
I've got a solution: the state government should charge the municipios an annual tope license fee and require they be repainted every six months in three contrasting colors, maybe red, green and white. They also would need a small sign by each one with the tope number and the current tope license sticker attached. The state then needs a hotline where any non-compliant tope can be reported.

Makes sense to me.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #17816
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc740 View Post

Makes sense to me.
That is because you ride a Guzzi, you are pragmatic, and you full on whacked that set on the bridge near Palma Sola! I heard the thud. In fact, I think it woke Bato up.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #17817
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Have a design contest for the elementary school kids, they can't do worse
or just look on the web. The design is there to steal from any state's DOT web site
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #17818
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

Oddometer: 205
ACAPULCO to ZIHUATANEJO road is now OPEN, passed trough it yesterday, all the broken bridges have been bypassed, bleak sight when you pass by the COYUCA one, but the road is OPEN
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #17819
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
All this talk of modifying topes is pointless. As soon as you fix one the Topecabra will come out after dark and lay a new one.

El Topecabra will not be denied!

You're not alone. Here in Oman they have taken to them with equal enthusiasm. They also have speed cameras. Luckily the fixed fine for speeding is $26 and no points!

I just picked up my 2010 KLR650 weekend toy, and I discovered on the ride home that topes can be fun if you have sufficient ground clearance and suspension travel and can see them coming.

I remember seeing a prototype years ago for an inflatable speed bump. If you are going the speed limit, a valve lets the air out and you don't feel it. Go too fast and the valve stays closed and you get a jolt. I wonder what became of them?

Edit: I found an article about a similar system...and it looks like they are being considered for Mexico city! (Scroll down to see the story) http://www.prism-magazine.org/dec09/briefings.cfm

TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT Smart, Smooth, and Slow Few cities have more speed bumps than Mexico City. It is home to at least 18,000. They’ve proliferated, in part, because local police rarely enforce traffic laws – or are willing to accept small bribes from speeders, according to Jose Luis Camba, a professor of civil engineering at the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
The government, he told USA Today, “takes the easy way out and builds a speed bump.” But a 2006 study at the university found that as cars negotiate speed bumps, braking and re-accelerating, they waste gas and increase emissions in a city already choking on pollution.
So Mexico’s Decano Industries is developing a “smart” speed bump fashioned from two steel plates set into the pavement in a triangular shape. If a car is driving the speed limit or slower, the plates collapse to let it pass unimpeded; if it’s going too fast, they lock in place and the car receives a jolt. Thus, drivers who maintain the proper speed are rewarded.
Decano’s technology is entirely mechanical and relatively inexpensive. It’s designed to handle traffic at 25 mph speeds, but the company is working on an electric version for higher speed limits. Of course, the additional technology will likely bump the price up.

Craneguy screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 01:27 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #17820
Ifa
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm riding from Connecticut, USA to Panama next year and am trying to work out a route to Panama from the US border with Mexico (Nuevo Laredo) avoiding surfaced roads. I'm having difficulty, the tracks and trails on the Mexican maps I've bought so far don't seem to agree with Google maps satellite views. From that I assume the maps I have are no good.
Can anyone help please?
Ifa
Ifa is offline   Reply With Quote