Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #17821
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,235
By avoiding "surfaced roads" I assume you mean paved roads. There are some nice routes on dirt but it would take you a couple months to travel all the way through Mexico on dirt roads. One good resource for dirt roads is E32 cartography. Another is Bicimapas. You would need to use a paper map as well, like the Geology Survey maps whose name escapes me.
These routes can be very remote and rough and not advisable to travel alone IMO. Saludos, JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #17822
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifa View Post
I'm riding from Connecticut, USA to Panama next year
Where in CT?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #17823
Ifa
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Jimmex
Yes, dirt roads. I've got about 2 weeks maximum for Mexico so we'll have to get a move on. I'll be travelling with one or two others.
I'll check out the maps you've suggested, thanks.
What does IMO mean?
Ifa
Ifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #17824
Ifa
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Tricepilot
Hartford, CT. I live in the UK but have a bike stored there for american trips.
Ifa
Ifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #17825
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Ifa, my limited experience sez you'll run into dirt occasionally no matter which route you select.

Enjoy, sounds a fun trip.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #17826
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
If the road washouts are as prolific as Mike describes you could
probably avoid pavement by following much of the shown highway
system of your maps
In Spain they have another simple way to slow traffic on bypasses
through built up areas . It consists of traffic lights at intervals connected with
photo radar sets These lights are not at intersections but simply placed on clear view
straight sections . If you drive the speed limit the light will stay green as you
approach and allow you through unhindered. If you are speeding the light
turns red forcing you to stop or slow down drastically . If you ignore the red and drive through your license plate (and maybe your face too) is photographed and you will
receive a fine notice in the mail. European Union traffic tickets are now
collected in most other non Euro countries because of mutual agreements.
As I said before, I have no illusions about Mexico and the demise of topes but it never hurts to indulge in some thinking about possible scenarios .
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #17827
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifa View Post
I'm riding from Connecticut, USA to Panama next year and am trying to work out a route to Panama from the US border with Mexico (Nuevo Laredo) avoiding surfaced roads. I'm having difficulty, the tracks and trails on the Mexican maps I've bought so far don't seem to agree with Google maps satellite views. From that I assume the maps I have are no good.
Can anyone help please?
Ifa
Google Earth is the best way to determine if a road is paved or not.

There is lots of dirt in Mexico, but most of it is in remote areas that don't go from one place to another very fast. There is generally more dirt in the larger open areas of Western Mexico then in the more populated areas of Central, Eastern and Southern Mexico. The dirt roads in Western Mexico tend to go E-W with the topographic drainage patterns of the western Sierra and it would take you a very long time to go across the grain from northwest to southeast across the country.

Coming in from the Laredo to Central, Eastern and Southern Mexico there is a lot more pavement than you might think. In a lot of places if you want to stay on dirt you will find yourself riding through dirt agricultural fields with paved road roads running parallel to you.

I will be curious to see what your route looks like if you put the time and energy into staying off pavement as much as possible. Without having a completely ridiculously contrived route my best estimate is that, coming in from Laredo you might get across Mexico on 30% dirt.

Suerte and RR please.

SR screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 08:16 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #17828
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
If the road washouts are as prolific as Mike describes you could
probably avoid pavement by following much of the shown highway
system of your maps
The conditions are (no "if" involved) as I've been saying. Rains started again last Sunday and another weekend route now has an impromptu dirt stretch.

They are digging out two bodies from underneath it.
MUEREN 2 POR DESLAVE!

07 October, 2013 12:57:00

* Y 5 Municipios afectados
Veracruz.- Dos personas que viajaban a bordo de un automóvil de Cosautlan a Teocelo fallecieron en un accidente derivado de un deslave de un cerro sobre la carretera.
El deslave en la carretera Teocelo-Cosautlán provocó el cierre parcial del tramo, por lo que inmediatamente se iniciaron las tareas para reabrir el paso al tránsito vehicular.
La Secretaría de Infraestructura y Obras Públicas (SIOP) envió cuadrillas de trabajadores y maquinaria pesada para restablecer la comunicación.
Autoridades del Ayuntamiento de Teocelo informaron que el deslave provocó el accidente en la carretera donde dos personas perdieron la vida a bordo de su vehículo.
CINCO MUNICIPIOS AFECTADOS
Las lluvias que comenzaron la tarde del domingo por efecto del frente frío número 4 han dejado 386 viviendas con daños, siete deslaves y alerta para poblados asentados en nueve cuencas de ríos de centro y sur, reportó la Secretaría de Protección Civil.
Los municipios que han resultado con algún tipo de afectación son Coatzintla, Tihuatlán, Banderilla, Ixhuacán de los Reyes y Rafael Lucio.

I ride those municipalities on a regular basis, trust me, the roads are not in the greatest of shape. I've taken visiting riders through some of these areas, usually you will find the leftovers of a little slide or two. But it is much worse now. Things are going to stabilize a little with the 4th cold front of the season moving through, but more rain is forecast. The Zongolica is bad enough but the stretch into the Mixtla de Altamirano at the best of times is no picnic, now it is a crap shoot. That is to the south, to the north, the climb up to Altamirada near Ayahualulco? Best get one of those paddle rear tires they use in sand events and hill climbs. Or try dropping down to it from the junction between Gonzalez Ortega and La Trinidad. Let gravity do the work. Just hang on tight.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #17829
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
GS, how long are you in Maz til? I'll come visit you. Lets go hit Las Changueras! Maybe run up to Cosala?
Hey SR, I am riding my bike back down from Seattle, don't know how long it will take, 1.5 days to boarder, from there
everything slows down, I think they call it Mexican time.... I'm thinking Baja & ferry over.

I'll give you a shout, when I arrive...

Saludos, Jim..

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #17830
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 576
Baja's Border Crossings

Have made several trips into Mexico and on south but trailering bikes from Indiana to Baja next month and crossing with the bikes only into Baja. I have read but don't remember details of the crossings that don't require all the paperwork for staying only in Baja.

Advice and info will be appreciated.

BTW; enjoyed the last few pages of discussion of topes. I have spent enough time in Central America to have learned to enjoy them except for the unmarked one I hit about 60 mph a few years ago. Didn't crash but it did make things interesting for a few seconds and taught me to sharpen my focus.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #17831
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Hey SR, I am riding my bike back down from Seattle, don't know how long it will take, 1.5 days to boarder, from there
everything slows down, I think they call it Mexican time.... I'm thinking Baja & ferry over.

I'll give you a shout, when I arrive...

Saludos, Jim..

Estamos pendientes!!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #17832
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Any crossing of the entire Mexican border can be done without the paperwork if you plan staying in the border zone.
If you cross at San Luis Rio Colorado south of Yuma
or any of the points in California
you are good with just your insurance and if you plan to stay longer
than 72 hours a Tourist Card .
TVIP is only required if crossing to the mainland down south and it can be obtained
at Pichilingue ferry terminal customs office
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #17833
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 576
Thank you very much. This is exactly the info I needed. Only doing Baja this trip so only need Tourist Card since we will be there about a month. San Luis Rio Colorado is probably where we will enter Mexico. Was not sure that San Rio was far enough west that TVIP would not be needed.

Thanks again;

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Any crossing of the entire Mexican border can be done without the paperwork if you plan staying in the border zone.
If you cross at San Luis Rio Colorado south of Yuma
or any of the points in California
you are good with just your insurance and if you plan to stay longer
than 72 hours a Tourist Card .
TVIP is only required if crossing to the mainland down south and it can be obtained
at Pichilingue ferry terminal customs office
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #17834
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,236
Go South/Mexico

Lot's of interesting bits to the above video segment of the series. About half road hazards and half the story of CrossFit making inroads into Mexico. This espisode includes a breakdown at Palenque. Pat Sherwood and Ian Wittenber.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #17835
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
High

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Property values in Telluride are going to rise
They are already high.