fall is the best time for riding

bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #18287
Bench Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
BR,
If its the stocker I'd go back to 19mm
16/17 seems too high and it will likely leak out the overflow when on the side stand.
Certain my stock carb was set to 19 and it ran just fine, search the thread for info as it has come up a number of times.
Think OEM spec is 18 but at that level mine would leak out when on the side stand, 19 fixed the problem.

Of course riding style, gearing, altitude (especially if the bike is lying horizontal) will all affect mileage but it should not vary that much on a stock carby - pumpers are another story!
JM-2008[/QUOTE]

I found that 16/17 does make it leak on the side stand. Dang it. So I'm going to adjust it until it stops leaking. Thanks for the help.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #18288
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
fall is the best time for riding

Great photo, love it :)
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #18289
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
all you former KTM owners out there....got some questions

I have big plans for next year. multiday, multi state, long distance trips coming up. right now i dual sport on an 07 KTM 450XC, which is fine for less than day trips. has a lot of work into it its setup nice and does what i ask of it. I am worried that long distance on slap, with me being 200lbs, with gear, and with extra fuel will result in a quick end to the motor, the sub frame, etc.

anyone jump the KTM ship and go to the XRR? I have read numerous posts on multiday, cross country, 1000 miles freeway stretches, all asphalt trips on the XRR. I cringe when i think about that on my KTM. I'm 30, only had a few bikes with the button, so im not too proud to kick.

keep in mind my KTM is a short stroke motor, the SX motor, with a hybrid 6 speed with close ratio 5 and 6. The power is all up high, its a race bike. it can be lugged. but i worry about getting into slower technical sections, with a loaded up bike and riding the clutch all the time to move the bike and the extra weight. so the bike revs great, but for long adventure riding, id much rather have more torque way low where it would be more usable.

I have been offered a trade off craigslist, for a plated 02, all setup, and turns out i know the guy. respect his build, and have no fear in it being a good condition bike.

Other than the no e start, being a bit heavier....which i would prefer for the longer rides on the road....what else would i be giving up?

i have heard the XRR suspension, once setup can be great! and im not that fast or hard on it to probably know. i know im not using the KTM to its potential.

from the looks of all these loaded up XRRs it looks to have a much stronger subframe as well.

who out there has swapped over from orange to red and has some feedback.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #18290
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
I prefer my XR when I expect any lengthy seat time,both my dirt bikes are registered.Prior to the Berg ,I had a 525exc.IMHO the Honda is the better bike for dual purpose.
dirtyoffroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #18291
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Anybody have a spare or unused 10-11kg rear spring they are willing to part with? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #18292
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
Anybody have a spare or unused 10-11kg rear spring they are willing to part with? Thanks.

I believe I have a 10.5.... Need to check. Bought it with my spare shock/suspension. Already have a 10.5 on my bike.

The XRR is much more durable and robust than the KTM. That being said, it weighs more and handles differently because of it. Overall, it still works well considering it's light weight compared to others somewhat similar.

Kicking is no issue. Not having a battery and electronics to depend on is high on my list of GOOD things.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #18293
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Great photo, love it :)
Thanks man!

Here's one of the exit of the drift with a nice roost: http://i3.minus.com/iktIOlnTqWt3Z.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoRob View Post
i have heard the XRR suspension, once setup can be great! and im not that fast or hard on it to probably know. i know im not using the KTM to its potential.
You are correct, when set up right the suspension is very good. It's better than most USDs except the best obviously (eg CRF forks). I take mine to the track all the time, the weight is what makes it a harder landing imo.

bamfslap screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 12:51 PM
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #18294
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
All this swingarm-frame gap stuff had me paranoid so I snapped a picture of mine after reinstalling it with new seals/bearings.

Here is some pictures. I have less of a gap than brayjay. Is mine "normal?"

http://i.imgur.com/4ERqPQ6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/k8SaLp1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l45jTg7.jpg

My swingarm was off the frame for about 2 weeks.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #18295
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
I am also looking for a 10.5 or 11kg spring for the stock XRR. Please PM if you have one, thanks.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #18296
WrkHrd-LvWl
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh Uh-Oh, how much will this one cost?

Hello fellow Adventurers. Here is what's going on. I recently purchased a plated 2002 xr650r, which seemed to have an appropriate amount of wear for its age (guessing pretty hard on that one though). Mods include Clarke tank, XR only skid plate, goofy homemade rack (that came off right quick), baja designs dual sport kit, uncorked. For about a month I have been enjoying the honey moon phase with my new toy, long dual sport rides to exciting riding areas with copious amounts of roots, rocks, and tight winding single track.
The bike seemed to run really well, much better after cleaning the air filter, which was in bad shape . My only concern was that it seemed to have a fair amount of noise coming from the cases, things just sounded kinda loose. However I read somewhere that they can be like that, and that the big aluminum skid plate can make it worse .
Tonight, thankfully close to home, the bike showed signs of a problem. I went to back it out of a parking stall and it seized for a second. The bike was running in first, clutch in, and it felt like i bumped into a stone, bike just stopped . I rolled it forward and things went back to normal. 5min later i attempted to pull away from an intersection and it went for a second, then lost power to the rear wheel. I pulled it off the road and once again it wouldn't roll backwards, regardless of the clutch being in, or it being in nuetral.
I understand that the clutch bushings are notorious for going bad on these, I plan to start with that. I haven't found much else by searching. Any other ideas? I'm new to these bikes, and am still new bike poor. Thanks All.
By the way, i'm in love with this bike, it's just about criminal to have that much fun on the road, and don't even get me started how much fun it is on a good fire road
WrkHrd-LvWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #18297
5hortbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Add me to the big boy list please

Since the other guys are all looking for big boy springs. I need one too! Not afraid to go up to 11.5. Is there a 12? 240, big tank, etc.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #18298
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkHrd-LvWl View Post
Hello fellow Adventurers. Here is what's going on. I recently purchased a plated 2002 xr650r, which seemed to have an appropriate amount of wear for its age (guessing pretty hard on that one though). Mods include Clarke tank, XR only skid plate, goofy homemade rack (that came off right quick), baja designs dual sport kit, uncorked. For about a month I have been enjoying the honey moon phase with my new toy, long dual sport rides to exciting riding areas with copious amounts of roots, rocks, and tight winding single track.
The bike seemed to run really well, much better after cleaning the air filter, which was in bad shape . My only concern was that it seemed to have a fair amount of noise coming from the cases, things just sounded kinda loose. However I read somewhere that they can be like that, and that the big aluminum skid plate can make it worse .
Tonight, thankfully close to home, the bike showed signs of a problem. I went to back it out of a parking stall and it seized for a second. The bike was running in first, clutch in, and it felt like i bumped into a stone, bike just stopped . I rolled it forward and things went back to normal. 5min later i attempted to pull away from an intersection and it went for a second, then lost power to the rear wheel. I pulled it off the road and once again it wouldn't roll backwards, regardless of the clutch being in, or it being in nuetral.
I understand that the clutch bushings are notorious for going bad on these, I plan to start with that. I haven't found much else by searching. Any other ideas? I'm new to these bikes, and am still new bike poor. Thanks All.
By the way, i'm in love with this bike, it's just about criminal to have that much fun on the road, and don't even get me started how much fun it is on a good fire road
cam chain tensioner
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #18299
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
WorkHard,

Welcome.
My first thought is the clutch bushing, but who knows what else might be it. Bike's 11 used years old hence will need some attention, hope for you it ain't a full strip.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #18300
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Clutch bushing was replaced with updated part in 2002. Doesn't mean it still couldn't fail though. Just have to start tearing down until something doesn't look right.