Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #2266
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
...and hopefully some safety glasses haha
If they're handy.

Speaking of... college... Did you know that a circular saw plus vegetables = Salad?
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #2267
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I've got the SW Motech and have been pleased so far. Not manga rocks around hear but I have hit it on the ground and tree trunks a bit.

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #2268
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Can every one take a sec and share their skid plate rating?

I have the stock skid plate which I think is 2mm aluminum. It sucks, and there's a big dent in the underside and the rubber mounts are squished to one side.

boinoodle's looks like an uncrumpled piece of aluminum foil he's landed on that thing so many times.

So, options? Touratech says theirs is 4mm, but is riveted, not welded and expensive. Moose racing looks like a hack job. AltRider looks pretty good, tall, welded, 3.1mm alu, but a little short in the back and pricey. Hepco & Becker looks real good. They don't provide much for details. SW-Motech looks like the best. 4mm underside, 2.5mm sides, full coverage, PEM studs instead of rivets and a decent price.

Whatcha got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Buy the SW & weld it up.
I've had the SWmotech one for over 20000 miles and have heard lots of stuff pinging off it and it still looks good and is the same shape as when I bought it. IMO a welded one is much harder to straighten out if it does get bent. With rivets you just drill them out, bash the bits straight and re-rivet it all back together.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #2269
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I've had the SWmotech one for over 20000 miles and have heard lots of stuff pinging off it and it still looks good and is the same shape as when I bought it. IMO a welded one is much harder to straighten out if it does get bent. With rivets you just drill them out, bash the bits straight and re-rivet it all back together.
Hmmm. That is a good point....

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #2270
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Can every one take a sec and share their skid plate rating?

I have the stock skid plate which I think is 2mm aluminum. It sucks, and there's a big dent in the underside and the rubber mounts are squished to one side.

boinoodle's looks like an uncrumpled piece of aluminum foil he's landed on that thing so many times.

So, options? Touratech says theirs is 4mm, but is riveted, not welded and expensive. Moose racing looks like a hack job. AltRider looks pretty good, tall, welded, 3.1mm alu, but a little short in the back and pricey. Hepco & Becker looks real good. They don't provide much for details. SW-Motech looks like the best. 4mm underside, 2.5mm sides, full coverage, PEM studs instead of rivets and a decent price.

Whatcha got?
Happy with the AltRider unit. Have used it on CO passes without incident (so far).
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #2271
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Buy the SW & weld it up.
That's what I did. Works for me.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #2272
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,536
Okay it seems like folks for the most part are ignoring the point that all of these are not designed as skid plates. At best they are protection from rocks thrown by the front wheel. If used as a skid plate you WILL be repairing it or replacing it, and, still could damage the sump.

I like the idea proposed earlier about an integrated case guard/skid plate that uses frame mounts to make a cage that surrounds the engine and that a true skid plate would attach to. I would love to see someone like Black Dog Cycle Works or AltRider develop something like this that uses hard points on the frame for attachment.

On dirt bikes riders often put closed-cell foam between the skid plate and the bottom of the engine/frame to prevent mud accumulating. I think on the Tiger that a dense energy-absorbing layer of rubber or something similar could be integrated into the idea for a frame mounted skid plate that spreads the load of a hit across a greater area of the sump. So, that even if it crumples or bends it still won't damage the sump.

For now I'm happy with the utility the OEM Sump Guard provides, as most of what I need protection from it will handle, and I know not to use it to skid over a fallen tree, rock over boulders, etc. This level of abuse is beyond the design scope of all the current offerings.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #2273
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Okay it seems like folks for the most part are ignoring the point that all of these are not designed as skid plates. At best they are protection from rocks thrown by the front wheel. If used as a skid plate you WILL be repairing it or replacing it, and, still could damage the sump.

I like the idea proposed earlier about an integrated case guard/skid plate that uses frame mounts to make a cage that surrounds the engine and that a true skid plate would attach to. I would love to see someone like Black Dog Cycle Works or AltRider develop something like this that uses hard points on the frame for attachment.

On dirt bikes riders often put closed-cell foam between the skid plate and the bottom of the engine/frame to prevent mud accumulating. I think on the Tiger that a dense energy-absorbing layer of rubber or something similar could be integrated into the idea for a frame mounted skid plate that spreads the load of a hit across a greater area of the sump. So, that even if it crumples or bends it still won't damage the sump.

For now I'm happy with the utility the OEM Sump Guard provides, as most of what I need protection from it will handle, and I know not to use it to skid over a fallen tree, rock over boulders, etc. This level of abuse is beyond the design scope of all the current offerings.
That about sums it up MotoTex. However, without a better option, we're forced into debate. I want a proper skid plate, so in the rare event I end up teeter tottering on a rock like a few weeks agon in the BTR ride, it won't break shit. I also want to be able to use a paddock stand under the skid plate and not have it wobble around as the thing flexes.

Also, am I the only one that has damn near annihilated the bracket that mounts the kick stand switch? I really wish the "Skid" plate protected that too.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #2274
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

It's going to be a rainy weekend so I should be able to spend some time on figuring out a frame mount. Probably start with straightening the sump guard and if I can get some sheet aluminum, have a layer welded onto the bottom of it. Since mine is now being held on with zip ties, it's a high priority. I've raised the bike over 1" and I still trash the guard

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #2275
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

I fully expect the entrepreneurial spirit to be ignited in some crafty individual who will offer a product that meets this expectation.

Rather than throw good money after bad I'll wait for this solution to present itself. Only other choice would be to do it myself, and I prefer someone else to do the fab work, testing, and production.

Other than that hopefully what I propose as a solution will be the spark for someone with the skills and inclination to accomplish this.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #2276
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
It's going to be a rainy weekend so I should be able to spend some time on figuring out a frame mount. Probably start with straightening the sump guard and if I can get some sheet aluminum, have a layer welded onto the bottom of it. Since mine is now being held on with zip ties, it's a high priority. I've raised the bike over 1" and I still trash the guard
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Will Yoyodyne Propulsion be involved in the design?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #2277
btao
Pwned

Oh, all the things I would make if I had a CAD model of my tiger....

I have the drive, but don't have the time...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #2278
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

Will Yoyodyne Propulsion be involved in the design?
It certainly will be, John MoTex

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #2279
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
The frame on a dirtbike encompasses the engine. Tigers use the motor for the front of the bike. For a guard to attach to the frame it would look like the body work on a crotch rocket. Might as well drive a jeep.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #2280
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,350
I think you guys are on your own. I wouldn't be waiting for one to be built. It's just too small a market for anyone to make any money in. Honestly ask yourself how many of there are you that ride the Tiger like a dirt bike? I count maybe 5 or 6? And how many of those 5 or 6 are willing to pay fairly big dollars for a true skid plate? One or two of you I bet. Anyone designing, testing, and producing skid plates in those numbers is losing money.

I love my Tiger and for my intended use (and most riders) any of the already available "rock guards" are good enough.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote