Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #2281
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
The frame on a dirtbike encompasses the engine. Tigers use the motor for the front of the bike. For a guard to attach to the frame it would look like the body work on a crotch rocket. Might as well drive a jeep.
Riiiiiight.

My KTM 950 is a similar engine/frame design and has a functional skid plate. Doesn't look like a crotch rocket, however it is a lot like a Jeep ..... on steroids.

KTM actually designed it from the get-go to accommodate the armor, Triumph really didn't. They just wanted to put something in the Adventure category the way BMW did. Neither had much input in design from people who actually understand the needs of those who will ride somewhere other than to Starbucks.

I think that a fab shop with a designer who grasps what is required could make a functional, frame-attached system that guards the cases and sump, will allow access for oil and filter changes with easy skid plate removal from the "sub-frame," and not look like the lower fairing on a sport bike.

Obviously, you are not THAT guy with the vision to make this work.

I'll place my bets that someone is working on the project now, or, will soon be.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #2282
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I think you guys are on your own. I wouldn't be waiting for one to be built. It's just too small a market for anyone to make any money in. Honestly ask yourself how many of there are you that ride the Tiger like a dirt bike? I count maybe 5 or 6? And how many of those 5 or 6 are willing to pay fairly big dollars for a true skid plate? One or two of you I bet. Anyone designing, testing, and producing skid plates in those numbers is losing money.

I love my Tiger and for my intended use (and most riders) any of the already available "rock guards" are good enough.
Dammit, why do you have to be so rational. Besides, I wouldn't sell you one anyway even if it DID work
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #2283
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
I think you guys are on your own. I wouldn't be waiting for one to be built. It's just too small a market for anyone to make any money in. Honestly ask yourself how many of there are you that ride the Tiger like a dirt bike? I count maybe 5 or 6? And how many of those 5 or 6 are willing to pay fairly big dollars for a true skid plate? One or two of you I bet. Anyone designing, testing, and producing skid plates in those numbers is losing money.

I love my Tiger and for my intended use (and most riders) any of the already available "rock guards" are good enough.
Good points, being one out of 6, it's worth my time, especially since I have a shop 100 feet from the house and this will be the second time I've had to fix the rubber mounts and straighten the plate. In considering your point about the Jeep thing, maybe I'm looking for more of a solid object other than the sump to take the brunt of the force versus a solid mount, IDK

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #2284
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
That about sums it up MotoTex. However, without a better option, we're forced into debate. I want a proper skid plate, so in the rare event I end up teeter tottering on a rock like a few weeks agon in the BTR ride, it won't break shit. I also want to be able to use a paddock stand under the skid plate and not have it wobble around as the thing flexes.

Also, am I the only one that has damn near annihilated the bracket that mounts the kick stand switch? I really wish the "Skid" plate protected that too.
If I'm teeter tottering on a rock on my Tigger....I'm lost

As for the kick stand switch, I removed mine ages ago as I bent the switch pin - total PIA.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2285
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
If I'm teeter tottering on a rock on my Tigger....I'm lost

As for the kick stand switch, I removed mine ages ago as I bent the switch pin - total PIA.
Yea, I says to myself, "how come I don't go forwards no more...?" and den I realized I wus on a rock.

Took some effort to get it off, but did it without it falling over. Thank my lucky stars because I was pretty tired from the 23 times prior to that having to pick it back up.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #2286
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Why don't you all just get the Adventure Spec bash guard and be done with it!!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #2287
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Why don't you all just get the Adventure Spec bash guard and be done with it!!

JG
It mounts to the same sacrificial bracket and engine points that the OEM mounts to.

The reason "why not" is answered by the bit about how "REAL" skid plates transfer the forces to the frame (steel) rather than to the engine (aluminum).

The idea is to protect the soft aluminum from damage. This is why attaching the protective item to the thing it is supposed to protect may not be such a great idea.

It is a very cool looking piece of kit, if that is all that matters it is as good a choice as any of the others.

It will protect the engine from thrown rocks and such as well as any of them.

It, like the other current offerings, is not designed to support the weight of the bike on an object such as a log, embedded rock, motorcycle lift, etc.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #2288
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
It mounts to the same sacrificial bracket and engine points that the OEM mounts to.

The reason "why not" is answered by the bit about how "REAL" skid plates transfer the forces to the frame (steel) rather than to the engine (aluminum).

The idea is to protect the soft aluminum from damage. This is why attaching the protective item to the thing it is supposed to protect may not be such a great idea.

It is a very cool looking piece of kit, if that is all that matters it is as good a choice as any of the others.

It, like the other current offerings, is not designed to support the weight of the bike on an object such as a log, embedded rock, motorcycle lift, etc.
When companies, like Ducati, started to make the engine as an integral part of the frame, that design went bye bye. Now we have a bike with the engine as a piece of it structure. There are no frame mounts.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #2289
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
When companies, like Ducati, started to make the engine as an integral part of the frame, that design went bye bye. Now we have a bike with the engine as a piece of it structure. There are no frame mounts.

JG
Look at the KTM 950-990 ADV. same 'engine hanging from a trellis frame' design, yet there are aftermarket skid plates that do attach to the frame and actually protect the soft engine parts. The skid plate on my 950 has a steel frame that attaches to hard points front and rear beneath the aluminum shell.

It can be done. It just hasn't been done for the Tiger yet.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #2290
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototex View Post
it mounts to the same sacrificial bracket and engine points that the oem mounts to.

The reason "why not" is answered by the bit about how "real" skid plates transfer the forces to the frame (steel) rather than to the engine (aluminum).

+1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #2291
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,522
For you guys wanting to design a frame mounted bash plate....have a look at what Touratech did for the Tiger955. They mounted theirs onto the frame at the same points as their crashbars mount at the front and the frame near the footpegs at the rear. So I think that might work on the 800s.
Also, there's an idea that the bash plate mounts to crashbars. That would need crashbars something like the SWmotech or Adventure Spec ones that bolt to the bike's frame so that any bash plate frame can be welded or bolted to the crashbars.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #2292
Barberino
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
I think you guys are on your own. I wouldn't be waiting for one to be built. It's just too small a market for anyone to make any money in. Honestly ask yourself how many of there are you that ride the Tiger like a dirt bike? ...
Spot on rationale there.

Being a noob to the off-road scene and wanting to protect my investment, I put as much protection on the bike as I possibly could prior to seeing any dirt. Had I done my homework prior to upgrading my guard I would've been more inclined to purchase the product with the ability to protect the bike more. I took my bike on some trails (meant for the smaller dirt bikes) over in Gifford Pinchot and fully appreciate the need for "we want more".
Barberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #2293
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Tool kits

What's in your toolkit? I'm starting to build out my tool-tube and curios what Tiger owners are packing...

So far, I'm at the following:

Vice-grips, Metric Allen Key Multitool, Hose (for siphoning gas in case some-one runs out), Rope, Duct Tape, Tube Slime (i'm not the type to change tires, let alone on the trail).

What else?
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #2294
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
What's in your toolkit? I'm starting to build out my tool-tube and curios what Tiger owners are packing...

So far, I'm at the following:

Vice-grips, Metric Allen Key Multitool, Hose (for siphoning gas in case some-one runs out), Rope, Duct Tape, Tube Slime (i'm not the type to change tires, let alone on the trail).

What else?
FWIW, I've seen a few reports of guys using Slime, and they've all ended with "never again." Basic story is that it didn't do much, if anything, to seal the hole, and left a hell of a mess for when they had to pull the tire off.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #2295
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
FWIW, I've seen a few reports of guys using Slime, and they've all ended with "never again." Basic story is that it didn't do much, if anything, to seal the hole, and left a hell of a mess for when they had to pull the tire off.
I've heard mixed results too, largely depending on the size of hole... I know one thing -I won't be changing my tires or patching anything in the field, so Slime (or goodwill of others) is really my only option to hobble to safety.

For a long trip i may consider carrying a tube and re-thinking my position of in-field tire service, but for anything w/in 500K of the city, hope Slime will hold.

...so what's in your tool tube?
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote