Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Not sure differences between a K60 or K60 Scout.

From Heidenau's site here are the tires: Depending on the size, the tread center strip is different. It will say "Scout" on the sidewall in cursive font possibly ( mine is) next to the tire size.

I haven't had any wet weather on mine yet but everyonce in a while I feel a little squirm from it when cornering hard on the throttle out of a corner, usually on rougher paved roads.

J
Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
I am just about worn through my set of K60s and also don't plan to run another set.

For me the decision is based on the off road performance not on road. I Never really had any trouble with them on asphalt; wet or dry. What I found was they just don't have good bite in loose conditions off road. The biggest issue is that center strip on the rear 150/70-17. It acts like a slick in mud or loose conditions. Even going down one size to the 140/80-17, while a bit better, still has too much of a center strip for me. The front tire is not knobby enough to have good lateral bite in mud or loose stuff, and tends to wander and slip around too much. I'd rate these as more like a 70/30 on off road tire not the 50/50 they claim them to be.

The did last a long time though, which was OK. But in the end, I'll give up a bit of the mileage to get the traction off road back.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
motomuppet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
So I checked my tire and it says K60 Scout on the side. I think it must come down to riding style and what you are used to I guess. I understand that these are long wear tires and anticipated less grip (which in the dry is acceptable), but the lack of wet weather grip is a deal breaker for me. I commute in heavy traffic, rain or shine on not the grippyest streets in the world and dont want to end up under a bus cause these tires spun out on steady throttle at half the speed or enthusiasm I normally ride with!

I reckon if I was heading off on a round the world trip I might consider them just for the longevity factor, but for my real world 80- 90% commuting duties, they are coming off. I put them on for an off road trip that never happenned and left them on...will save them for off road trips. If I did not have a few hundred km's of slab to get to the off road bits I would just go full knobbies I reckon...I am starting to think that the 50/50 bias as advertised just means they are equallt shit on road and off !

Thanks agian for the input fellas.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
jbm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Had a few major puckers on very wet trip on the K60s. First experience with the tire and were 70% used on a F800 I picked up, getting close to the wear bar. Not confidence inspiring in the wet or dry for me. Was doing the speed limit holding the throttle steady, halfway through a moderate turn the rear let go in a big way. Saved it but my confidence was at 0%. Didn't feel great in the dry and leaned over the tires felt like marbles - same feeling right before the rear let go.

Light rear braking in the way starts sliding and kicks in ABS immediately. I understand its a decent enough dry 60/40 but the wet performance means I'm switching to Anakees ASAP.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #20
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Reading this yall are starting to scare me here.

Im just starting to ride again after my back surgery in July and I am VERY conscious of traction. I noticed Im a lot more careful on curves and corners than I used to be. While I like the tire, I have noticed that my Scout is not as sticky as the TKC's Im used to running and with winter coming the whole wet weather traction issue with the Scout's is making me nervous.

Thinking I might ditch these and put a set of Anakees on as well. I had a set when I first bought the bike and loved them. Considering its going to be a long long time before I am riding on dirt enough to need a more dirt oriented tire Im thinking its time for a switch.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
I can't say I've done a lot of wet riding since putting on my rear K60 Scout on my Vstrom, but I'm a pretty aggressive rider on and off road and I haven't had the first issue with traction? I'm really enjoying this tire and if I get good mileage I'll be happy. I got tired of the 4500-5k miles I was getting on the rear 705's so trying this now.

I had been running TKC's front/rear earlier this summer as an experiment and when the rear TKC went, I put the K60 on the rear with the front TKC. This has been my favorite setup so far and a great on-road/off-road combo. This was the first time running the K60 although I've ridden on it on friend's bikes. I spent a weekend riding around the Dragon/Deal Gap and roads around there with this setup and had no issues what so ever. I think the TKC's grip great, but I saw no issues with the K60 on the rear as far as grip or traction. It's certainly not as aggressive off road as the TKC, but the rear TKC's wear so quickly, I just can't keep running them.

Last week, I was going on a 2k mile trip with my wife on her own bike and the TKC front was getting pretty worn, so I swapped it for a Shinko 705 front which I used to run all the time. So now I have Shinko 705 front with the K60 rear. Again, we did plenty of twisty roads and I even spent one entire day playing on twisty roads around N. GA and E. TN with my wife 2up on the back. She doesn't ride 2up with me very often, but because she knew we'd be riding pretty aggressively, she rode with me instead. We had no issues grinding pegs and just being an all out hooligan 2up. I certainly was not being easy on my tires, but they stuck and never gave me first inclination I was pushing them too hard.

I've never run the front K60 and not sure I ever will, but I've had no issues from the rear.

Like I said, I haven't had the K60 in the rain much either, but I'm sure I will at some point, so I might find it different there? I've ran several sets of 705's over the years and never thought they were all that great traction wise compared to say Anakee's, Tourances, Battle Wings, etc, but I spend way too much time off road to run tires that are that street oriented. The 705's are about as much street oriented tire I want to run on my strom. So I realize as you get more aggressive for off-road, you usually give up some street traction, but I haven't found anything crazy.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,345
Mine suck in the rain as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
No dud. They get great reviews because cheap ass BMW riders buy them so they can ride 15000 miles in a season without having to buy new tires. Any tire that gives you that kind of mileage needs to be made of hard ass rubber. Hence no traction in the rain. I'll stick with my Conti Trail Attack 2's.

Give us a break, the bikes are too damn much! :P

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 998
My short and simple review is, yes, they suck in the rain. It is manageable, but gas and brake need to be adjusted quite a bit if you're riding light and fast. First time in the rain I left the ABS off from on/off roading and the very first corner I came to I slid sideways right through the whole corner. At the next traffic light I spun the rear with my normal twist. They are better once scrubbed in a bit, but without ABS, I probably wouldn't buy them again. I plan to switch to the Mitas anyway, but I have tons left on my K60 rear. 2-up or with luggage, you may not notice any difference. Dry pavement they handle just fine and are easy to corner with. If you want to do any off roading, you absolutely have air them down. When you do, they are fantastic. The lugs are deep on the sides. I blame the heavy bike for not being better in mud, but once they were on, I don't spin anymore. They have trouble hooking up from a stop on wet roots and rocks, as you'd expect. Great in loose stuff, hill climbs etc. They suck the absolute most on wet grass. Still a great value, but I'll be following my fellow tiger rider that just put the similar Mitas on his bike that doesn't have the center tread connected. The bars are slightly narrower as well. Looks like a very good tire and offers the K60 pluses without the minuses. That said, I'd buy the K60 again if that wasn't available. I'd probably go scorpion rally if I needed more off road traction beyond that.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
So I am in DC area, it has been raining a lot over the past week and I have put some miles on them to and fro. I had no issue with them in warm temps at all (yes you can break traction if you want to, very easily) but since I have hit low 50s and high 40s regarding temp and combo that with rain the rear can get a bit squirrely but then again I was hammering the throttle in traffic. I run a TKC front and feel just fine with that but I definitely have reduced my acceleration while cornering and my corner entry speed.

Now regarding the comment about cheap BMW riders buying these... I ran TKCs for a while and wanted to try something new (of course it is for longevity). I have also had my TKCs lose it in the rain too. All and all I am happy with the performance of the K60 rear.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Had a few major puckers on very wet trip on the K60s. First experience with the tire and were 70% used on a F800 I picked up, getting close to the wear bar. Not confidence inspiring in the wet or dry for me. Was doing the speed limit holding the throttle steady, halfway through a moderate turn the rear let go in a big way. Saved it but my confidence was at 0%. Didn't feel great in the dry and leaned over the tires felt like marbles - same feeling right before the rear let go.

Light rear braking in the way starts sliding and kicks in ABS immediately. I understand its a decent enough dry 60/40 but the wet performance means I'm switching to Anakees ASAP.
So, you're going to judge a tire when you're admittedly running one that has only 30% of its useful life left? These are not a sport, or sport touring tire. They are sold as a 50/50 tire and IMHO, handle the offroad bits very well. They cleared mud easier than the TKC80s AND when riding a heavy bike (DL1000 V-Strom) on single track, provided enough traction to get me through. Better to run one from new, to form a better opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Thinking I might ditch these and put a set of Anakees on as well. I had a set when I first bought the bike and loved them. Considering its going to be a long long time before I am riding on dirt enough to need a more dirt oriented tire Im thinking its time for a switch.
If you're not going to be riding off road, then there is no point in using the K60. I'm not able to ride off road for the rest of my season and switched back to the Anakee 2's on my F800. You're going to be happier with the Anakees on the street anyway - but you may want to try the new Pilot Road 3s... Anecdotal reports say they're a great tire for Sport Touring on an Adventure Bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
My short and simple review is, yes, they suck in the rain. It is manageable, but gas and brake need to be adjusted quite a bit if you're riding light and fast.
Most tires lose a percentage of their grip in wet conditions, especially when its travelling through heavy commuter lanes. I mean, its not just the wet, its the vehicle fluids that have been left on the road as well. So to say that the tires SUCK in rain is a bit of an overstatement, isn't it?

I ran a K60 on my V-Strom for two seasons. I regularly switch my tires based on my riding style, but when the bike was sold, the K60 Rear had just over 11,000 Km on it. Was it squared off a bit? Sure. But there was still more than half the tread depth left. I ride in all types of weather, on road and off - I never experienced wet traction issue and I'm not easy on the throttle or easy into the corners. I regularly scraped hard parts on the Vee. I rode the K60s twice around the Cabot Trail in fall - they tracked straight and never made me doubt my confidence in the twisties.

About half my mileage last season was off tarmac. We are close to the forest service roads, snowmobile trails and ATV Tracks which I ride on as much as possible. I could "steer with the rear" using the K60, but it was no easier than doing it with a TKC. We've ridden in temps lower than 7C, over frozen puddles and through the mud with no noticeable loss of traction. But - when you ride defensively for the conditions you should be fine. Lower temps, worn tires and wet conditions affects the handling and grip of ANY tire.

You guys are far too whiny. The K60 is not a pefect tire. I'll admit that - its a compromise tire. And you can't expect to get the same performance out of a K60 that you get out of a Pilot Road 2. However, I've pushed them hard and they never let me down. I don't know what you guys are doing, but maybe when its raining and cold its time to roll the right hand forward a bit and ride for conditions.

Tire threads are turning into oil threads...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
jbm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
So, you're going to judge a tire when you're admittedly running one that has only 30% of its useful life left? These are not a sport, or sport touring tire. They are sold as a 50/50 tire and IMHO, handle the offroad bits very well. They cleared mud easier than the TKC80s AND when riding a heavy bike (DL1000 V-Strom) on single track, provided enough traction to get me through. Better to run one from new, to form a better opinion.
I'm going to give honest feedback on a requested topic with full disclosure of conditions for equipment I have experience with. Would love to run one from new, feel free to send me a set!
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 998
I guess that was the point of my statement. It should be obvious that such a tire is not as good in the rain as a street tire, and certainly a street rain tire. Moral of the story is that it's still a great compromise. The firm rubber was noticeable, but wasn't unmanageable. Air it down, and it was a tractor off road. It performed its job admirably.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
I'm going to give honest feedback on a requested topic with full disclosure of conditions for equipment I have experience with. Would love to run one from new, feel free to send me a set!
The point is, you're making a statement about a tire that had less than half its useful life left. Your feedback, while honest, doesn't have the requisite data to make the statement one of "full disclosure". If you had run said tire from new, then you could comment on its performance - I'm guessing that at 70% worn, it was pretty much down near the wear bars - and no tire is going to offer optimal traction and pefromance at that level of wear.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
I wonder how many of you have ever ridden full on knobbies in the rain? Some of them can be down right scary on wet pavement. But get them off road and they shine.

The TKC's do fairly well for a and Adventure bike knobby tire in wet, but they also are so soft, they wear out very quickly and is one of the biggest complaints about them.

The outside edge of the K60's might as well be like a full knobby with how fare the lugs are spaced apart and if you want a tire to last longer than 3k miles on the pavement, the rubber compound needs to be a bit harder too. I play off road a lot so I need a decent off road tire and I hate when they wear out so fast so I'm really digging the K60's for how well they last. For the type of riding I'm doing, they are working great.

Tires are always a compromise and I agree with the above poster. If you aren't taking your big Adv bike off road, than run a more street oriented tire like the Anakee's, Battle Wings, Pilot Road, etc. All of these tires by far will have better wet pavement performance because they are much more street oriented. But just in the same way, they don't come anywhere close to handling well off road if its anything other than just a dirt/gravel road and even there they don't exactly shine.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
The point is, you're making a statement about a tire that had less than half its useful life left. Your feedback, while honest, doesn't have the requisite data to make the statement one of "full disclosure". If you had run said tire from new, then you could comment on its performance - I'm guessing that at 70% worn, it was pretty much down near the wear bars - and no tire is going to offer optimal traction and pefromance at that level of wear.
True statement. Even Battlewings (which many hate and I generally like for asphalt service), once they get down to the last couple thousand miles or so change radically. Butt pucker radically.

K60's are pressure sensitive. I run 36 f/r. Some guys run 42 and insist on the higher pressure (which I think is mad given the rating). However at 32 the K60 is a different tire than at 36 psi.

Also I fill at cold at around 60 to 65 degrees F ambient. Others fill "cold" at 85 F ambient. There is a difference here and I can see going up a few PSI from 36 when your morning "cold tire" temps are quite high already. Singapore would qualify.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote