User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
batphluke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Lifan motor in Honda C70?

Just finished drooling over the Madass pics on this forum, wondering if anyone tried putting one of those new Chinese motors in an old Honda step thru'? I've an old C70 I want to get back on the road as a cheap (but reliable) rat for back lanes and taking camping etc. As Honda made millions of the little buggers I'm sure I can pick up a motor from the breakers, but just a thought...

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Velorex 562 (attached to Mrs. B's 85 Honda XBR500)
batphluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 301
On the C70 yahoo group, there's loads of folks who've done it. If you have a 1982 or later with the 12v CDI engine, it's apparently basically a plug and play operation, so long as you don't get anything bigger than the 88cc engine.

I'd do it, but my C70 seems to run as good as the day it left Japan, so...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I've got two '81 Passports, and I'm in the final stages of installing a Lifan 125 semi automatic in one of them. Upgraded to a 12 volt system at the same time.

Pretty easy. Yahoo Clone Group was a big help, as was all the wiring diagrams at DrATV, Hooper, and the Yahoo Clone Group files. I'm currently dealing with the alignment of the new exhaust/centerstand/brake/kick starter, none of which want to work with each other....but I'll get it.

This is all for my wife, who is very particular about scooters, and really dislikes most modern styled scooters, especially with flat floorboards. She likes the monocoque (sp?) style of the old C70's and CT90s.

She saw an ad for the MadAss in 'Scoot' recently, and loved it. Alot of the same, basic bones...

PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
I'm currently working on putting a 110cc manual clutch Lifan in a 1965 Super Cub. It's a better fit than the Trail 90s I've done but still a bit of work. The added power and speed will make it a much more useful bike.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Bandit Bill
Newfie Rocketeer

Oddometer: 84
I'm about to drop a Lifan 150cc manual clutch motor into my '82 12 volt C70 - will be the second lifan into a Honda i've done. I just wish there was as easy a fix for the brakes, as there is for the lack of power. As someone else has mentioned, plenty of people have done similar changes on their C70's with excellent results, and the yahoo clone group is a great resource for that change-over.
http://www.chairintheair.ca
Bandit Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
batphluke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks for the info/inspiration, now where's that toolchest?

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Velorex 562 (attached to Mrs. B's 85 Honda XBR500)
batphluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
bayoulubejim
Banned

Oddometer: 454
You can direct bolt in up to an 125 lifan auto clutch if the c70 has a 12 volt system. Otherwise you have use adapters to change 6v to 12.

Manual clutch can be done but you have to cut up the handelbar and move the horn and turn signal controls. Plus side is you can go WAY big on the motor.
bayoulubejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Bandit Bill
Newfie Rocketeer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoulubejim View Post
Manual clutch can be done but you have to cut up the handelbar and move the horn and turn signal controls. Plus side is you can go WAY big on the motor.
Or just use an alternative set of switch gear with a clutch perch in place of the stock unit - you will need to sleeve the handlebar tube for the new switch gear to 7/8" with a spacer tube slid over the stock unit, as i understand it.

http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/unleandswset.html
http://www.chairintheair.ca
Bandit Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Upshifter
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Lifan 12 volts to 6 volts is easy.

No 12 volt conversion is necessary. I installed a 6 volt regulator, instead of a 12, when I converted a 1969 CT90 to a 125cc Lifan. The 6 volt regulator converts the 12 volts AC from the Lifan and feeds the 6 volt CT90 electrical system with 6 volts. I don't even use a battery anymore, because the 6 volts AC from the voltage regulator runs the lights just fine without the rectifier and the battery. (If I wanted, I could still use the CT90s battery and rectifier; which would be necessary if I wanted lights without running the engine.) The lights are plenty bright running on AC; and it hasn't burned out a bulb yet.
Upshifter is offline   Reply With Quote