Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #181
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
I changed my variator and belt at the weekend. The one in there was a JCosta fitted by the previous owner. Been in there approx 7000kms / 3 years. It was not looking good - the things that rise out (look like bullets) at speed are mishapen and some of them were holed / have bits missing!

There were some marks inside the clutch bell scored into the metal, so possibly it was pieces of this jcosta? who knows. They're meant to be perfectly hemispherical.

I've returned to standard piaggio variator and weights. See here (click on the pics to see in larger size)

the air inlet filter for the casing was pretty blocked up too!

CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #182
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
When the variator filter gets blocked the whole assembly overheats and many things fail, including in the stock setup.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #183
dbzeag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Go to hear it. I've heard good things about this tire from others as well.
I just stopped by my local scooter dealer and ordered one. Only $66.90. I'll report back when I've got some miles on it.

Too bad they don't make a rear tire that fits. I'll need a rear tire soon. I'm trying to decide between another Kenda or a Dunlop 404. What are you running on yours?
Just go up to the 140 size in city grips. Handles BETTER than stock with 10mm more tread to play with. Fits no problem.
dbzeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #184
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbzeag View Post
Just go up to the 140 size in city grips. Handles BETTER than stock with 10mm more tread to play with. Fits no problem.
130->140 may or may not result in 10mm more, since the rim could be
narrow and pinch the wider tire more, making it higher (which it will be
anyways if you stay with the same height).

More sidewall height = worse handling since the higher tire will bend more.

Higher tire = longer gearing = worse acceleration too.

Even if you DO get more contact patch, that equals to worse MPG figures too.

It's not as simple as 10mm more as long as it fits.
There's a good reason Aprilia put a 130 there.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #185
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
I asked my son about the City Grip on the Sports City and he says it is definite improvement over the previous tire. On Sunday I was chatting with another Sports City rider at the poker run and he said the same thing. He's got over 4,000 miles on his City Grip and says it is only about half way through its thread so he's expecting the same 8,000 miles out of his current one as he got on his last one. Neither have noticed any significant mpg difference between the e130 and 140 tire.

After careful and prolonged debate with myself and looking at the parts of the Scooter Cannonball 2014 route that have been released I've pretty much decided that the Sports City will be the scoot I'll take on it next year. There is apparently a stretch of gravel road which the Sports City handles much better than the Vespa GTS.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #186
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
130->140 may or may not result in 10mm more, since the rim could be
narrow and pinch the wider tire more, making it higher (which it will be
anyways if you stay with the same height).

More sidewall height = worse handling since the higher tire will bend more.

Higher tire = longer gearing = worse acceleration too.

Even if you DO get more contact patch, that equals to worse MPG figures too.

It's not as simple as 10mm more as long as it fits.
There's a good reason Aprilia put a 130 there.
The stock size is 130/80-15. The only choices available here are the OEM Sava or michelin Pure Power. Neither of these tires last very long. I have been running 130/90-15 cruiser tires. These tires lower RPMs slightly, make the speedo more accurate and are relatively inexpensive. They also increase cornering clearance by raising the rear of the scooter slightly. For me this is important since I push pretty hard on twisty roads. Some people have tried a Metzler me880 140/80-15 on the rear. It lasts a long time but is also more expensive. I have also read that it makes the scooter want to stand up in corners. This is often a problem when you go with a wider tire.

The City grip comes in a 140/70-15. It is wider and also lower profile than the OEM tire. My concerns with this tire are: Speedo will be very innacurate again, and, will it tend to make the scooter stand up in curves? Also, how long will it last. So far the best mileage I have gotten from any rear tire is the 4200 miles on the current Kenda 130/90-15 in the scooter. It is unlikely to make it to 5000 miles as it is nearly due for replacement. I tend to wear out tires much faster than most riders due to the twisty roads I ride.

I will probably try the rear City Grip but haven't decided for sure. First I want to see how I like it on the front.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #187
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I had Power Pures on my scoot which is heavier and has almost 50% more
power and after about 3000 miles there was no wear on the rear at all.

SC is lighter, has less power and bigger wheels, all of that makes the tires
last longer.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #188
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I had Power Pures on my scoot which is heavier and has almost 50% more
power and after about 3000 miles there was no wear on the rear at all.

SC is lighter, has less power and bigger wheels, all of that makes the tires
last longer.
The road surfaces here are different and temperatures normally higher. Both of these result in faster tire wear. The pure powers are pretty new here but the few reports I saw was that they don't hold up well in high temperatures. I haven't seen any actual mileage reports.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #189
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
The road surfaces here are different and temperatures normally higher. Both of these result in faster tire wear. The pure powers are pretty new here but the few reports I saw was that they don't hold up well in high temperatures. I haven't seen any actual mileage reports.
They're probably gonna last more then the Pirelli Diablos, despite the "Power Pure" name they're not as "sport" oriented as the Power Pures in the "proper motorcycle" category.

Regardless, they have amazing grip.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #190
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
Hi for future reference of people searching, I used tool 'Sealey Universal Pulley & Fan Clutch Holder Set' VS783 which managed to hold both the variator and (using two bolts not supplied) the clutch, to enable me to torque up both bolts correctly using a 3/8" socket set (1/2" won't fit between the arms). pics

Rear:

link to tool (many other suppliers of course for sealey) cost approx 35:
http://www.tooled-up.com/product/sea...er-set/128221/
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #191
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
lane splitting with top box

Hey there,

I took the SC 250 down to mexico. 700 miles round trip. I've never taken it out of the valley. I hit stop and go in LA traffic. I noticed cruiser bikes passing through with lane splitting. My bike is smaller though 30 mins later I was giving it a try. Works pretty good..

Klav, you have the e52 top box and by the photos. It looks wide to fit a lot ofstuff. Does it protrude out farther then the rear view mirrors? Does it make the profile of the bike wide?
Will it be an issue for lane splitting?
Thx

PS. Top speed on the I5 south got to 150km, it may have reached 160km but I didn't want to press my luck with speeding by a cop. With puig screen and all else stock. 2300 miles on bike now.

At 150km it was as stable as at 50km.

BanthaBob screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 06:25 PM
BanthaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #192
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaBob View Post
Hey there,

Klav, you have the e52 top box and by the photos. It looks wide to fit a lot ofstuff. Does it protrude out farther then the rear view mirrors? Does it make the profile of the bike wide?
Will it be an issue for lane splitting?
Thx
The E52 is not as wide as the mirrors or the handlebars. It shouldn't be an issue for lane splitting.

I had the City Grip front tire mounted today. It made a dramatic difference in the handling. The worn out Sava made the bike handle like crap. Normally I have not issues with worn out tires affecting the handling of my motorcycles very much....except off road of course where worn out knobbies mess up traction. The Sava really messed up the handling of the Sport City long before it was worn out. I won't ever get one of the Sava's again.

I only rode about 15 miles on the City grip but it felt really great, the best front tire so far! Very Light and neutral handling, even with a mostly worn out rear tire.

I'll report back when I have the chance to ride it some more.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #193
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Ah perfect, Ty so much for this review thread. It helped me decide to get the bike myself. I'll put the city grip on the list. I remember amazon sent me a email about the kendra rear tire for 66 bucks shipping extra. I'm tempted to prematurely replace the tires cause everyone says the ride is night and day better. I have the stock Maxxis. I'm happy to know that the ride can only improve in the future.

Great bike. Thx.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #194
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Good to know about the tires Klav.

Bantha, I'm here is the valley also. How was it riding down I-5? The other thing, 150kph, that's about 90ish mph. I've not tried to max mine out but I'm over 200lbs with gear and the bikes pulls really well to 70mph then at about 75 almost runs out of steam. I also have the PUIG screen and it makes a huge difference.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #195
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Hey grey,

I'm Fresno on the ape forum.

The two things the bike didn't like was head wind in the mountain pass. The grapevine area I believe. And steep inclines. On the steep inclines I could still maintain 120km. I was wot at that time.

I rode faster than I needed to this trip, next time I'll try And chill more.

The bike is strong to 140km and then if there is no wind,hills, or cars in my way glides up to 150km. I drove the bike for 7 hours straight. I started with 1600(ish) miles and ended up with 2300(ish) miles.

The altitude over the grapevine was 3000 and I don't think the high elevation bothered the horse power output too much.

I learned if you go, favor the left lane as it is of much better quality. The slow lane has a lot of significant imperfections. The fast lane must be repaired more often. Cruising speed was about 130km that is running the same speed as others until you get to San Diego where 140 is normal. This is the fast lane. I'm sure the slow lane was 120-130km

Bike is great for touring and visiting points of interest. Easy to maneuver and get to place a car would find difficult.

Only thing I've done is the engine/gear oil. I need to try to switch out the factory plug as I hear the engine performs smoother with a better spark plug.

I drove it without a top box.

I do have issues with triggering turn light signals, I'll need to research that more.

Also, wearing hearos ear plugs. They are blue and offer 33 decibels and wind noise was still loud. I'd recommend better ear plugs. I have a 100 dollar bilt modular helmet and that could be a factor. I don't know.

BanthaBob screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 10:56 PM