User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
grumburg OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Any VMax lovers out there?

One of my moles found a 1988 VMax . One owner, not a scratch, 15,000 miles. Pulled it in the garage...turned off the key....in 2001. Bought for $1200. Will have to change all fluids, rebuild master cylinders, new rubber, and go through entire fuel system. Anyone have a recommendation for someone to rebuild 35MM Mukunis?
grumburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
I read where pinesol does a great job on cleaning corroded carbs.there is always the ultra sonic method also.
as far as someone else ,if you are going to be the one to ride it, balance the carbs, might as well be the one to clean them,get a unisync to balance them
,set them up balanced at cruise plus a few r's.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,022
Yep, got a 1987 model. Bought as an import, drag raced it a few times, fixed the carbs, drag raced it a bit, fixed the exhaust, drag raced it a bit, fixed 2nd gear dogs.......etc, etc etc. I J-U-S-T sneaked a hi-10 out of it, and have ridden my little scooter ever since, lost interest a bit. It sits in the shed mostly now.

I got my parts where I could from Sean Morley.........
http://www.morleysmuscle.com/muscle-bikes/vmax
.........in our dizzy world of charlatans wanna-be know-it-all's and polishers, Sean is a straight up tuner and a bloody legend in the Vmax world. Think of any suitable glowing reference you can and place it here, he's one of the good guys.

You might also try http://vmaxforum.net/ for lots of relevant info you may need to scare old ladies and generally become a public nuisance. I've discovered old Vmax's are good for both!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
grumburg OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks Mod, sounds like my guy. Planning on being the local hoodlum by spring.
grumburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumburg View Post
Pulled it in the garage...turned off the key....in 2001. Bought for $1200.
I mean this in the best way possible. You suck.

That is a SMOKIN' deal.

RE: cleaning carbs.

Completely strip them of all bits and bobs, specifically the little spring, washer and rubber O-ring which live under the pilot air screw.

Put the main casting, the jets, emulsion tubes and the needles (only the metal bits, no rubber) in a large pot of water with a bunch of laundry detergent and boil them for ~45 minutes.

They'll come out SO CLEAN that the aluminum will oxidize rapidly if you don't hose them down with WD40 or other light oil.

Admire the shocking amount of dirty scum on the surface of the pot as it cools.

Reassemble. Now would be a good time to install a jet kit.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
U.P. Rider
U P R

Oddometer: 62
+1 on contacting Sean Morley, a Vmax Guru of the first order! I have a '92 that has a lot of his custom parts installed leaving very few stock parts left on it.
It is a great bike to get your inner hooligan out n' about that is for sure. The only problem I have with it is that I live in the U.P. (Michigan) and I keep riding by all these interesting trails to try but I'm sure my Vmax would bury itself to the frame the first time it saw mud!

Brian
U.P. Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
I had an '86, loved the engine, had a Sudco 4-1 pipe, sounded freaking awesome, idled like a hot small block chevy and screamed at high rpm. Handling and braking was NOT as good as the engine, but it was still a great bike.

Taking the carbs apart is not too bad (V-4 Hondas are MUCH worse), you just need a large clean workspace (a big white towel on a table is perfect) to lay everything out on and be patient. I've done it a bunch of times, a friend still has an '85. They seem to be more sensitive to sitting than they used to be back in the day, I'd say it's the shitty ethanol fuel. Use stabilizer in the fuel if it's going to sit more than a few weeks. Seriously.

While the carbs are off take a really good look at all of the rubber carb and manifold boots, there's a lot of them and it's not cheap to replace all of them, we had to do it on my friends '85 a few years ago due to a lot of cracking and the resulting vacuum leaks.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote